Why become a member? ×

I Think My Guitarist Might Be A Massive Tool

Gust0o

Anyone mind if I have a Sunday evening rant?

My angst stems from my band's midweek rehearsal. This was intended to knock together some new numbers, and really resolve the rest into a credible set list.

What I seemed to get was a number of songs going by the wayside because the guitarist didn't fancy them, or couldn't play them to any satisfaction; no progress on learning or practicing anything he was meant to, but instead a veritable banquet of "new songs" which is a fancy way of dressing up the odd riff he'd conjured up since I saw him last; and the decision, seemingly, that any set list should include as many tunings as possible, because someone has a new pedal which does it automatically. Oh, and we don't do solos. He's not learnt/created them. Or can't play them.

I persevered, and put in a shift which I thought was credible if not comfortable. I also enjoyed the sudden tempo changes of my six-stringed friend - which is odd, especially for covers. I also enjoyed (lie! I'm a perfectionist, I hate this) making up basslines as I got to his various assorted riffs.

I particularly enjoyed his f***ing criticism in the pub last night. The new songs weren't "tight", myself and the drummer not "getting it just yet"; and my tuning being off.

My tuning, cupcake? The tuning you played over, which forced me to do it electronically? Next time I shall tune by ear, like you my friend, then use a pedal to compound my half-step woes by sodomising every track with my musical ineptitude. I shall write to Korg and complain.

Naturally, I did the gentlemanly thing and turfed him out of the round.

I'm thinking of quitting and becoming some kind of bedroom hobbyist and darling of Youtube. Thoughts?

At the very least, I hope we all get a laugh out of this :)

Ah, the old "new songs" routine to cover up the fact the lazy twat hasn't even attempted to learn any of the songs that were scheduled.
Had a few of them types in the past. An honest chat about what band members will try to do for the next rehearsal & set some not too challenging targets should be first. If that ends up in a blazing band ending row, find a new guitarist.
At least our current guitard is honest & up front when he hasn't learnt or done what he said he would. Refreshing but still frustrating.
Best of luck,
Norm

[quote name='Jam' post='1100146' date='Jan 23 2011, 09:25 PM']Pretty sure all guitarists are like this...[/quote]

The guitarist/singer in my new band actively seeks the opinion of the drummer and I on new material. He asks our opinion on his guitar sound and takes on board our comments. He graciously accepted loan of my mate's EQ pedal to tweak his sound.

Your guitarist is a dickhead and needs taking down a peg or two.

I just quit one band and the other is meeting on tuesday night (at a pub not practice) to discuss its future since one of the guitards left. Lets just say it may not include me by my own choice! I wouldnt want to just play at home in fact I rarely do as I love playing off a band so until I see where the stuff Im doing for the guy in my sig goes Im keeping my options open. Luckily I have quite a few more who you know than what you know maybe.

Plenty of work for us bass players out there it sounds like time to move on?

[quote name='Jam' post='1100146' date='Jan 23 2011, 09:25 PM']Pretty sure all guitarists are like this...[/quote]

Not the good ones.

In response to your post Gust0o, I don't know what your guitarist is like as a person or how long you've known him etc. but if there is one thing I have learnt during the time I've been playing it's that 1.) everyone in the band has to be in the same tuning, 2.) gear doesn't control your sound, you control your sound using gear and 3.) if you're not working with each other in a band, then you're effectively working against each other. If your guitarist doesn't get any of that then it might be worth considering either getting rid of him, or leaving to find a better group of musicians. I wouldn't be happy putting up with such a lack of professionalism, I'd end up wanting to chew my hands off in frustration.

Amateur guitarists with more attitude than gear, and less manners than talent are ten-a-penny. Sack him. Life is too short to waste your time trying to work with time-wasters who simply want to play (unless it's something REALLY special); same thing goes for carrying dead weight in a band.

That is all.

Every time I read a thread like this, I remind myself how lucky I am in being in a band without a guitarist like that it in it.

I`ve been in bands with people like that, and kidded myself it will all work out ok. However, when you finally work with people who don`t have those kind of attitudes, it all becomes clear how much time you wasted beforehand.

The tuning thing did me. Learning "new songs" is ok; I listened; I looked at his fingering; I shared some ideas with the drummer and him. It's going to sound like it's "not tight" if you record the first time anyone other than you tries it!

The tuning then did for me. I used my Korg tuner off the lead as he insisted on widdling over my efforts. I'm not off with my f***ing tuning. You're off; and your tone is sh*te as it's all distortion and you don't sound like you're loving the playing.

Wow. I'm more bitter than I thought!

Anyone in York fancy forming some kind of almighty sludge band?

I'd say get rid of him, or find another band. There are decent guitarists out there...they're a rarity, but persevere! :)

I put up with a similar bloke in my old band...I'm sure I've mentioned this many times here on the forum before, but he really was a git. Rarely bothered to learn anyone else's songs, constantly widdling away over everyone else, his tone gave me a headache after about twenty minutes...I put up being in a band with him (or bands, as every time we had a name change/got a new member it was entirely different thing, apparently :) ) for about a year and a half. Now though, I'm happily in a band where I sometimes actually have to encourage the guitarist to come out a bit more - he has respect for the other members and is happy to listen to our input.

The moral of the story; things will eventually balance out and you'll get a decent guitar player. Either that, or chin the sod and hope that sets him right :lol:

I suspect that you already know what needs to be done. Move on and find the right people for you but sometimes that can take time. Use this time to improve your playing and maintaining your gear. I've picked up some good habits since joining this site and the advice given is on the most part sound.

Songwriting session with a guitarist I lost amd recently refound (hadn't got a drummer when we were jamming, he went missing, I found a drummer in the meantime). He forgot to turn up to yesterdays. Today his idea for compensating for the fact the House of Bass has no doorbell was to ring the neighbour's doorbell instead. Then when that didn't get him in, he had to go home again to call me to let me know he'd be back at a certain time.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1100257' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:53 PM']This does sound like more than the obligatory occasional band rant Gust0o?[/quote]

Crikey, does it? I think I'm just peevish. I probably should have had it out there and then, but wanted to sit back and reflect less I do something silly; now I've sat back, I'm just royally miffed! My f***ing tuning! :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1100327' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:06 AM']-1

Not in my experience. I've played with plenty of reliable and talented guitarists. Some of them even thought they couldn't play bass.[/quote]

plus the one.

it's odd...with the number of threads about 'guitarists who solo over everything, don't learn songs, etc, etc, etc, i wonder where they all are...i've never met one.

is it something particular to 'rock' bands ?

[quote name='ahpook' post='1100336' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:46 AM']plus the one.

it's odd...with the number of threads about 'guitarists who solo over everything, don't learn songs, etc, etc, etc, i wonder where they all are...i've never met one.

is it something particular to 'rock' bands ?[/quote]

Likewise? Maybe I've just got lucky, I've never had to deal with a guitarist with a big ego, to me I'd prefer them to be a sh*te guitar player with a good attitude than an excellent player with a terrible attitude.