Why become a member? ×

Les Claypool's new bass

Chris2112

Contrived my backside.

What are you suggesting, he should stop experimenting and go all X-Factor?

Or he should quit because experimenting with music can only last so long before its all been done before in the opinion of faceless trolls on the internet.

Oh, and to be clear as soon as you say someting is a POS just because YOU dont dig it, that makes you a troll IMO.

He's a legend for a good reason, he's created some truly exceptional (and some less exceptional) music that is outside the normal boundaries, pigeon holes and comfort zones of popular music, and more surprisingly he's made a successful career out of it.

Do I detect some sour grapes and jealousy??

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1085175' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:26 AM']"They call me Mr. Knowitall, I will not compromise. I will not be told what to do, I shall not step aside!"

That's what Les thinks of all you none believers :)

Long live Les :)[/quote]

+1 indeed!

To me, I listened to Primus and Les' stuff years ago (I actually still really love the two live Frog's Brigade cds). Although my tastes have moved on I feel that the music world would be a more boring place if Les and co weren't around. In some way its nice and comforting knowing he's out there doing his own thing on his own terms and i've got a lot of respect for that.

The bass looks typically Les in style and design, i'd be interested to see the spec's and as with any instrument i'll reserve judgement on the quality until I see one either in the flesh or at the very least with some proper pictures.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1085244' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:32 AM']....The bass looks typically Les in style and design....[/quote]
After reading about some of Carl Thompson's eccentricities, Les could have been expecting a Precision copy when he went to pick this up!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084624' date='Jan 10 2011, 06:50 PM']However, upon seeing the pictures and seeing Les dressed up in his weird outfits, I was more struck by the fact that he has apparently become a pardoy of himself and is now like a bass hermit, pedalling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive in over a decade. He's a relic of the 90's, how strange that he doesn't just retire![/quote]

However, "pedalling the same tired crap failing to do anything inventive in over a decade" would still trump Chris' output on the online world which appears can be summed up as "pedaling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive".
:)

Edited by Mark Latimour

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1085267' date='Jan 11 2011, 11:01 AM']However, "pedalling the same tired crap failing to do anything inventive in over a decade" would still trump Chris' output on the online world which appears can be summed up as "pedaling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive".
:)[/quote]

ha ha!

+1

New bass notwithstanding... am I the only bugger in the world who has never 'got' Les Claypool, has never understood all the fuss about his playing, and has really [i]really[/i] disliked all the Primus stuff I've ever heard? Years ago I bought Sailing The Seas Of Cheese, to see what all the hoo-ha was about. Played it twice. Hated it. Left it to gather dust for 18 months. Played it again. Hated it more. Sold it. Is it just me?

I don't really like Primus. I like one or two songs, laquer head for instance.

I have a lot of respect for Les, though. He's incredibley inventive and distinctive, and his body of work is remarkably broad. He even played bass for Tom Waits a few years back on a few of his records.

[quote name='Rich' post='1085417' date='Jan 11 2011, 12:55 PM']New bass notwithstanding... am I the only bugger in the world who has never 'got' Les Claypool, has never understood all the fuss about his playing, and has really [i]really[/i] disliked all the Primus stuff I've ever heard? Years ago I bought Sailing The Seas Of Cheese, to see what all the hoo-ha was about. Played it twice. Hated it. Left it to gather dust for 18 months. Played it again. Hated it more. Sold it. Is it just me?[/quote]

I know a lot of people who don't like Primus. But for me,they were one of only a handful of bands who blew me away the moment I heard them.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1085426' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:05 PM']I know a lot of people who don't like Primus. But for me,they were one of only a handful of bands who blew me away the moment I heard them.[/quote]

Me too. They just sounded so original - like nothing else I hade ever heard. I think I've probably grown beyond them now in terms of my musical taste, but I still really enjoy the odd listen and they often bring a slightly wistful smile to my face!

I also love the fact that my wife and kids absolutely HATE them! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084624' date='Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM']Apparently this is Les' new bass and it will be offered as a production model (although I'm not sure by who). I have to say, the wood working looks even worse than on a Carl Thompson! And those basses have had some shoddy fit and finish jobs, from some accounts. However, upon seeing the pictures and seeing Les dressed up in his weird outfits, I was more struck by the fact that he has apparently become a pardoy of himself and is now like a bass hermit, pedalling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive in over a decade. He's a relic of the 90's, how strange that he doesn't just retire![/quote]

Chris, have you ever played a CT? There's something about the ergonomics of them that's just "right", plus they're incredibly light (most weigh in at around 6-7lbs). The "artisan" style of woodworking they use is an acquired taste, but they are incredibly well built, feel great and sound awesome.

I had the good fortune to try out a 7-string fretted CT in a music shop in NYC recently - it was also something like a 38" scale, but it felt great, wasn't hard to play at all, and, again, was very, very light for what it was (seriously, the bass couldn't have been more than 14-15mm thick).

I'm not really a fan of Les's ventures outside Primus - some of it is a little too self-indulgently strange, and I have no interest in the whole "jam band" thing that he's been doing, but I appreciate that he's a one-of-a-kind innovator, and inspired a lot of people to bring the bass front and centre.

[quote name='Rich' post='1085417' date='Jan 11 2011, 12:55 PM']....am I the only bugger in the world who has never 'got' Les Claypool, has never understood all the fuss about his playing....[/quote]
No. I'd never heard of LC or Primus until I joined BC. To me he was mildly interesting, once, but that's it.

I'd love a Carl Thompson bass though.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084842' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:06 PM']Well, I used to like Level 42 but that was years ago. I'm waiting to see Mark make some music that doesn't just appeal to his fanboys, because the "wackety for the sake of wackety wack" thing he's been doing for years now is really lame and contrived.[/quote]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1085151' date='Jan 11 2011, 08:49 AM']My shock and dismay at the op cannot be expressed in words. I'm just going to leave this here

[/quote]

This is a bit more like it, a bit more like classic Primus. However, the whole silly storytelling aspect of it is very tired.

[quote name='Wil' post='1085420' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:00 PM']I don't really like Primus. I like one or two songs, laquer head for instance.

I have a lot of respect for Les, though. He's incredibley inventive and distinctive, and his body of work is remarkably broad. He even played bass for Tom Waits a few years back on a few of his records.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1085151' date='Jan 11 2011, 08:49 AM']My shock and dismay at the op cannot be expressed in words. I'm just going to leave this here

[/quote]

I have this album at my parents house but have barely listened to it... I don't remember this track at all! I'll get it back and give it a few spins, sounds like there's more to it than I gave it credit for!

ped

[quote name='Russ' post='1085498' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:51 PM']Chris, have you ever played a CT? There's something about the ergonomics of them that's just "right", plus they're incredibly light (most weigh in at around 6-7lbs). The "artisan" style of woodworking they use is an acquired taste, but they are incredibly well built, feel great and sound awesome.

I had the good fortune to try out a 7-string fretted CT in a music shop in NYC recently - it was also something like a 38" scale, but it felt great, wasn't hard to play at all, and, again, was very, very light for what it was (seriously, the bass couldn't have been more than 14-15mm thick).

I'm not really a fan of Les's ventures outside Primus - some of it is a little too self-indulgently strange, and I have no interest in the whole "jam band" thing that he's been doing, but I appreciate that he's a one-of-a-kind innovator, and inspired a lot of people to bring the bass front and centre.[/quote]

I played a CT 4 in the Bass Centre once, many years ago (early 80s?). Have to say it felt lovely and organic, was extremely nicely made and had a rich and complex sound.

[quote name='ped' post='1085804' date='Jan 11 2011, 05:48 PM']I have this album at my parents house but have barely listened to it... I don't remember this track at all! I'll get it back and give it a few spins, sounds like there's more to it than I gave it credit for!

ped[/quote]
ooh. fantastic album. and can i add for good measure. . . vinyl vinyl and thrice more VINYL. also i highly recommend the of fungi and foe album for pure weird darkness.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1085655' date='Jan 11 2011, 04:08 PM']This is a bit more like it, a bit more like classic Primus. However, the whole silly storytelling aspect of it is very tired.[/quote]
bejesus. primus were great at the time. but that was then. hurts my head a bit now, and les' too no doubt. he moved on from primus long ago and has more than earned the right to do exactly what he feels like at the time. i don't think les would appreciate being compared to primus quite honestly, although they do still reform regularly (no doubt for a little extra pocket money).