Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

I never thought I would be posting on this thread but things have changed, a bit. I am playing in a band that does covers of punk/rock/pop tunes that were mostly played on a P bass with a pick. I am a Jazz bass die hard and thought I could just turn down the bridge pickup and get an authentic P bass sound. That didn't really work, so I started off down a road I had never been down. After a little trial and error and some sanding and painting I ended up here, and i quiet like it.

Here is my newly built Frankenstein P bass.

Squier 80's Jazz neck, I bought it half sanded with no decal. I finished sanding it, lacquered it with satin nitro cellulose and added a really crap Fender decal. (So no one thought i was trying to pull a fast one)
Squier VM body with tort scratchplate
Kiogon wiring, pots and knobs
Seymour Duncan spb-3 quarter pounder

It plays great and sounds awesome.

I could swap the bridge for something chunkier and add the strap button on the headstock, apart from that I think this is my go to bass for the foreseeable...

Edited by deanovw

Having been without a Precision for many years I finally decided that I once again needed one so I recently acquired this very nice 1973 model which I am told had a single owner for the past 30 years. It's a joy to play in that it weighs only 8lb 8oz.

All set-up with new set of DR LoRiders and now ready to rock.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1352220895' post='1860349']
Having been without a Precision for many years I finally decided that I once again needed one so I recently acquired this very nice 1973 model which I am told had a single owner for the past 30 years. It's a joy to play in that it weighs only 8lb 8oz.

[/quote]

And very nice it is too

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1352220895' post='1860349']

[/quote]

There's folk would pay a lot of money to recreate that sort of wear......

If it weighs less than 14lbs it's not a proper Precision..

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1352057486' post='1858280']
I never thought I would be posting on this thread but things have changed, a bit. I am playing in a band that does covers of punk/rock/pop tunes that were mostly played on a P bass with a pick. I am a Jazz bass die hard and thought I could just turn down the bridge pickup and get an authentic P bass sound. That didn't really work, so I started off down a road I had never been down. After a little trial and error and some sanding and painting I ended up here, and i quiet like it.

Here is my newly built Frankenstein P bass.

Squier 80's Jazz neck, I bought it half sanded with no decal. I finished sanding it, lacquered it with satin nitro cellulose and added a really crap Fender decal. (So no one thought i was trying to pull a fast one)
Squier VM body with tort scratchplate
Kiogon wiring, pots and knobs
Seymour Duncan spb-3 quarter pounder

It plays great and sounds awesome.

I could swap the bridge for something chunkier and add the strap button on the headstock, apart from that I think this is my go to bass for the foreseeable...

[/quote]

Any problems fitting the neck?

Not really. A little sanding was required on the widest part of the neck and the scratchplate needed relieving. I was pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1352503480' post='1864098']
Any problems fitting the neck?
[/quote]

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1352846244' post='1868472']
Y'know, there really ain't nothin worth doin that you can't do with one of these beauties.

[attachment=123746:IMG_1378.JPG]
[/quote]

My sincere apologies for the use of a non-black pickguard on one of these basses. One is on order and will be fitted soon.

Just finished my 'bits P' bass. Basically I was auditioning for a rpck band and needed something with frets, so I popped into my manshed and came up with this:

[IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/2012-11-14165110.jpg[/IMG]

It is nice.

Hope no-one minds me asking this here....

There was a bit of marketing hoo-hah earlier this year when fender announced that all the new Am. Stds would have 'Custom Shop Vintage 60's pickups'.

Anyone know if this was just marketing or if the pickups became more old-school in tone ? Or, indeed, would a modern (I gather they got a lot better around 2008) Am. Std P have what's considered an old-school tone anyway without the alleged pickup tweak ?

Yeah, I know, I should go out and play one ....

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1353273654' post='1873211']
Hope no-one minds me asking this here....

There was a bit of marketing hoo-hah earlier this year when fender announced that all the new Am. Stds would have 'Custom Shop Vintage 60's pickups'.

Anyone know if this was just marketing or if the pickups became more old-school in tone ? Or, indeed, would a modern (I gather they got a lot better around 2008) Am. Std P have what's considered an old-school tone anyway without the alleged pickup tweak ?

Yeah, I know, I should go out and play one ....
[/quote]

I've not tried the 2012 pups yet. It's easy to notice though; 2008-early 2012 = flush pole pieces, 2012 onwards = raised pole pieces.

An addition to my original 'Precisions' post: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__view__findpost__p__1572223"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1572223[/url]

[b]PICKGUARD UPDATE: [/b]

[b]*NEW!* NOW MORE MINTY! GUARANTEED TO INCREASE THE SIZE OF YOUR TESTICLES!*[/b]

The Bass Doc has made me a brand new mint pickguard which is much more 'minty' than the rather... [i]subtle[/i] original, and is much more in keeping with my (fairly crap) Photoshop mock-up... this is the colour scheme I had in mind! Thanks, Uncle! :D

* May not increase the size of your testicles. The size of your testicles can go up or down.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet