Why become a member? ×

Combo for pub gigs etc - ideas?

ras52

Hi All,

After selling most of my gear and not playing for ages, I'm now window-shopping with a view to getting a giggable combo.

Back in the day (1980s) I used a Trace Elliot 1115. [url="http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/te1115.htm"]Younger readers click here[/url]. That was 150w into 1x15, and delivered more than enough power. It replaced a Carlsbro Cobra (60w into 1x12, I think), which wasn't enough!

My fantasy is that technology has progressed in the meantime and that now a smaller, lighter 1x12 combo might suit me. As I'm now older and weaker I'd love to find what I need in a more portable package - something like this little Hartke [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=30&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...0&brandID=3[/url]. (An if the specs on the interweb are to believed, the corresponding 1x15 is still only 1/2 the weight of the Trace.) What do you think?

Cheers
Richard

[quote name='ras52' post='1067700' date='Dec 23 2010, 12:37 PM']Hi All,

After selling most of my gear and not playing for ages, I'm now window-shopping with a view to getting a giggable combo.

Back in the day (1980s) I used a Trace Elliot 1115. [url="http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/te1115.htm"]Younger readers click here[/url]. That was 150w into 1x15, and delivered more than enough power. It replaced a Carlsbro Cobra (60w into 1x12, I think), which wasn't enough!

My fantasy is that technology has progressed in the meantime and that now a smaller, lighter 1x12 combo might suit me. As I'm now older and weaker I'd love to find what I need in a more portable package - something like this little Hartke [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=30&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...0&brandID=3[/url]. (An if the specs on the interweb are to believed, the corresponding 1x15 is still only 1/2 the weight of the Trace.) What do you think?

Cheers
Richard[/quote]

Check out the Ibanez Promethean P5110 combo.
It more than keeps up for small pub gigs and you can use the DI when there's PA support and tilt it back for monitoring.
It's tiny and an easy one hand lift.

The 500W head is removable so you can use it with full size cabs when the time suits too.

Definitely worth a look :)

Eude

I'm in the market for a small cab/ combo. Been looking at the promethean as well, is it reliable, I use quite a lot of distortion etc, I assume by the amount of strings you use it can definitely handle the lows at a high volume!!

In response to the OP's question I've been looking at the hartke hydrive, it's not too expensive, small, light and 250w should be good for smaller gigs but I haven't tried one, maybe worth a look? Down side to it is that you can't add an extension so you are stuck with 250watts.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1067759' date='Dec 23 2010, 01:24 PM']I'm in the market for a small cab/ combo. Been looking at the promethean as well, is it reliable, I use quite a lot of distortion etc, I assume by the amount of strings you use it can definitely handle the lows at a high volume!![/quote]

I've not had any problems at all dude.
Both my basses have fairly hot outputs so I reckon it'd handle some distortion no bother at all, I use a bit from time to time myself, fingers crossed Santa will be bringing me a Bass Muff or an El Grande Fuzz :)
As far as reliability, I've not heard any horror stories at all, some of the earlier production runs had some issues with hiss, but nobody had any issues getting replacements or refunds.
The thing is surprisingly solidly built, I mean that in the best possible way too. I didn't expect the Ibanez kit to be up there with the big boys but it really does hold its own!

Cheers,
Eude

I have no experience with the prometheon, but I'm not sure about it being able to hold up ina pub with a live drummer. I think there are just certain limitations a single 10" speaker has to have (I could be wrong...)

If it was me I'd be eyeing up the markbass 2x10 combo for sale in this forum :)

I would always advocate a single 12" over a single 15" speaker if you're only going to have the one. The 12" can dial in all the mud and flab of a 15" but will naturally gravitate towards a more focused, punchy sound.

Of course, the sounds of cabs+combos are all brand specific but these are my general findings. I now use a 2x10" cab IMO this is the best option for a small, lightweight amp that will sound absolutely incredible.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1067916' date='Dec 23 2010, 04:34 PM']I have no experience with the prometheon, but I'm not sure about it being able to hold up ina pub with a live drummer. I think there are just certain limitations a single 10" speaker has to have (I could be wrong...)[/quote]
+1 - that's why I've asked the OP for more info. It's a great combo, but it has it's limits. The 2x10 would cope with far more, I think.

I've acquired the Orange Tiny Terror head with matching SP210 cab. I used to believe it was all about size but I think technology has come on leaps & bounds over the last decade. I won't be gigging it until the 6th Jan but I'm hoping it'll be a preferrable alternative to a big rig.

Hi all and thanks for the input. I'm now leaning towards a 2x10 or a 1x12. The Promethean looks amazing but hearing would be believing. I'm not convinced that there'd be many situations where, if was going to get a 1x10 extension, I would need to go with just the 1x10 combo - the 2x10 combo wouldn't be much more of a burden. Interestingly it's also got me thinking about head + cab rather than combo. Hitherto I've always considered the combo the obvious route but it ain't necessarily so. I think amps have definitely got smaller/lighter during my sabbatical.

Re. my requirements, it's all a bit fuzzy at the moment: it's just me and my Fender Rumble 15 at the moment, but I hope to be out and about in the New Year, playting just about anything (except maybe thrash) but probably not at ear-bleeding volumes.

The Markbass combo looks great but I don't want to be impulsive!

Cheers
Richard

[quote name='ras52' post='1069828' date='Dec 26 2010, 09:53 PM']Interestingly it's also got me thinking about head + cab rather than combo. Hitherto I've always considered the combo the obvious route but it ain't necessarily so. I think amps have definitely got smaller/lighter during my sabbatical.
Cheers
Richard[/quote]

You're definitely thinking along the right lines. Combos are ok but if it's portability you're thinking about, an amp head and a lightweight cab are probably the way to go. If you get a head of 500 W or thereabouts you can buy a 1 X 12 cab for smaller gigs and supplement it with another cab at a later date if you need more volume for larger gigs. Check out barefaced cabs. They've got a lot of good reviews on this forum and do a compact 1x15 which is lighter than most 1x12s and compares in volume output with many 4x12 cabs [url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/"]http://www.barefacedbass.com/[/url]

I recently bought a Fender TV 15 bassman which is a great retro looking amp but pretty difficult to carry up (and down) 3 flights of stairs to my flat every time I do a gig.

I absolutely love my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T Combo. Light as a feather, I now carry all my gear around in one go!
I've gigged it a couple of times, and the 375 watts it puts through the 12" cabinet has been more than enough to keep up with our quite loud drummer.
I've now added a matching Genz Benz 210T cab, just in case I need the full 600 watts at a larger venue.
I actually tried it alongside the Promethean, and although the Promethean was good, I thought the Genz Benz just blew it away.
The Genz Benz cost more, but for me it was worth it.
You can actually see in my avatar photo just how small and compact it is.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1070106' date='Dec 27 2010, 01:39 PM']I absolutely love my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T Combo. Light as a feather, I now carry all my gear around in one go!
I've gigged it a couple of times, and the 375 watts it puts through the 12" cabinet has been more than enough to keep up with our quite loud drummer.
I've now added a matching Genz Benz 210T cab, just in case I need the full 600 watts at a larger venue.
I actually tried it alongside the Promethean, and although the Promethean was good, I thought the Genz Benz just blew it away.
You can actually see in my avatar photo just how small and compact it is.[/quote]

i tell ya what, try a fender rumble 150 bass amp. The new one, I have it and it sounds the nuts. If i need more, i just di it as it has a xlr di. For £300 they are great, and no lie sound every bit aa good if not better than a combo twice the price.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1070106' date='Dec 27 2010, 01:39 PM']I absolutely love my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T Combo. Light as a feather, I now carry all my gear around in one go!
You can actually see in my avatar photo just how small and compact it is.[/quote]

+1 for this awesome combo - the GB stuff just has that sheen of quality in the sound but with plenty of balls - the single 12" really does kick out the watts and like others have said here the sound is incredibly focused - it may cost more but it's a good investment in my book.

M

What about my favourite combo, the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12? Removable head, loud enough especially with that passive radiator helping and that incredible Boogie sound. The EQ on it is fantastic too and it can give anything from nice and clean to utter filth with a tweak of the gain knob.

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='1070177' date='Dec 27 2010, 03:20 PM']GK MB210 IMO, extremely light weight at 33lbs and sounds great, plenty of volume and a choice of matching lightweight extension cabs like my MBE115, cant go wrong :)[/quote]

+1

I picked up one of these off Ebay a while back for £225. They're great quality combos and I use it instead of my Markbass/Epifani rig for rehearsals and small gigs. it's listed at 350w but sounds a great deal louder.