Why become a member? ×

*** MARK at BASS DIRECT (Warwick) ***

REDLAWMAN

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1065816' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:50 PM']Mark is a very knowledgable chap who is a pleasure to deal with. I've dealt with Bass Direct on many occasions and I'd never say Mark would deliberately talk over anyone.

I'm sure Mark himself will agree that he does get a 'little' passionate about his products when he gets going (which I must add is a good thing!) and he does know a good bass tone. As such he will often point people towards alternate products if he thinks they would be worth you trying before commiting to a large purchase... and he is a fan of those Berg's.[/quote]
Pretty much my experience of speaking with him..I'm always happy to listen to people who know what they're talking about..

However your experience also confirms my dislike of technology..mobile phones, computers..

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1065876' date='Dec 21 2010, 04:27 PM']Pretty much my experience of speaking with him..I'm always happy to listen to people who know what they're talking about..

However your experience also confirms my dislike of technology..mobile phones, computers..[/quote]

...active basses, neo cabinets, high power amps. I think your dislike might be more for communication :) :)

I went down to BD a while back and although Mark seemed nice, he quickly disappeared into his office for a phone call for over 20 minutes leaving me stuck in the shop holding a bass. I work in a guitar shop sometimes and I know how annoying it is when people help themselves to gear, especially expensive stuff, so in the end I just felt very uncomfortable and left.

I very much doubt that it was deliberate, but it was an hour drive each way resulting in me getting to try out one bass and feel very awkward. The frustrating part was that there was a Lakland JO in at the time (that is on this forum now) that I was considering buying on the day, I ended up waiting and getting a Sandberg instead.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1065912' date='Dec 21 2010, 04:55 PM']I went down to BD a while back and although Mark seemed nice, he quickly disappeared into his office for a phone call for over 20 minutes leaving me stuck in the shop holding a bass. I work in a guitar shop sometimes and I know how annoying it is when people help themselves to gear, especially expensive stuff, so in the end I just felt very uncomfortable and left.

I very much doubt that it was deliberate, but it was an hour drive each way resulting in me getting to try out one bass and feel very awkward. The frustrating part was that there was a Lakland JO in at the time (that is on this forum now) that I was considering buying on the day, I ended up waiting and getting a Sandberg instead.[/quote]

I felt very sorry for you - it was just bad timing. I am here on my own so sometimes it gets a bit mad!

Popin again and I will make you a cup of tea to make up for it ;-)

Mark

I don't want to seem rude, but a 2 hour drive is a big price (in time and petrol) to pay for a cup of tea (not to mention it'd be the second time, meaning 4 hours of driving for a cuppa and a noodle on a Dingwall). Next time I have GAS, if there's something you have in that I fancy, I might pop in, but it's a long way for general curiosity now that I have the Sandberg.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1065935' date='Dec 21 2010, 05:18 PM']I don't want to seem rude, but a 2 hour drive is a big price (in time and petrol) to pay for a cup of tea (not to mention it'd be the second time, meaning 4 hours of driving for a cuppa and a noodle on a Dingwall). Next time I have GAS, if there's something you have in that I fancy, I might pop in, but it's a long way for general curiosity now that I have the Sandberg.[/quote]

Again - I am sorry I was sidelined, had you hung on a couple of minutes I would have been all yours.

I understand your frustration, it is also very frustrating for me when I cannot give my customer my full attention like that.

I hope you will come back again and we can spend some time trying a few more options.

Mark

Edited by poptart

Mark does talk a lot but does talk a lot of sense too! I bought a new Mark Bass head and Berg cabs earlier this year from him and whilst he was quite forthright in what I needed he also let me try what I liked and let the gear do the talking and help me get the tone I was looking for!

I would highly recommend the shop but also don't envy anyone working in a retail environment and having to deal with gits like us!!

Spoke to Mark today , and ordered a Great Gramma off of him .

Though he seemed to know nothing of the Gramma bulk buy deal some of the guys did on here earlier in the year with him , which I thought was strange - not that I was angling or anything .

First time I've spoken to him , maybe the last who knows . Would have no hesitation ringing him again - spoke about the weather I think :)

I work for BT , so I'm used to speaking to people on dodgy phone lines - was alright when I spoke to him - do you think I fixed it with BT thought Mark ?

Thom - When Mark leaves you on your own in the shop it equals play as many basses as you can time ;-)

Although you do feel like not wanting to touch anything in case you drop it >.<

Gawd, the amount I've spent with him is daft.

Dingwall, Genz Benz, Mono-Case, strings, 2 x Lava Cables (I ordered a 12ft and he sent me a 15ft because he ran out, THAT is quality service in my eyes), Gramma pad, Gig Skinz amp bag...

All Hail The TAKE IT HOME deal :)