Why become a member? ×

*** MARK at BASS DIRECT (Warwick) ***

REDLAWMAN

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1065912' date='Dec 21 2010, 04:55 PM']I went down to BD a while back and although Mark seemed nice, he quickly disappeared into his office for a phone call for over 20 minutes leaving me stuck in the shop holding a bass. I work in a guitar shop sometimes and I know how annoying it is when people help themselves to gear, especially expensive stuff, so in the end I just felt very uncomfortable and left.

I very much doubt that it was deliberate, but it was an hour drive each way resulting in me getting to try out one bass and feel very awkward. The frustrating part was that there was a Lakland JO in at the time (that is on this forum now) that I was considering buying on the day, I ended up waiting and getting a Sandberg instead.[/quote]

There's no way this situation is deliberate, Mark's not like that at all. I also understand your reasons for not helping yourself to some basses... But in that shop, nearly everything is high end! And obviously Mark is more than happy for you to try stuff out. I would kill for 20 mins with that shop to myself! Lol. Knowing Mark, I would've just hung out and waited for a cup of tea to turn up whilst trying some nice gear. I totally understand you were after the service, but it's not easy as a one man band in a niche shop. Mark often makes appointments for this very reason, so he can give you his time. Maybe next time eh? Those Sandbergs do look nice btw, maybe I'll check some out...

Spoke to Mark yesterday at around 1pm , and ordered a Great Gramma . He said that it probably wouldn't go out that day as probably too late , and with the weather and all , was unsure when it would be delivered .

No problem at all , I thought . It turns up when it turns up .

Well , I got a phone call from the wife at 10am today , and it arrived .

I can't believe I ordered it yesterday lunchtime , and it arrived before 10am today .

Can't say enough really . I suppose I got lucky with the good courier service , but a massive hats off to Mark .

I've never had service like this before .

Just needs to be said really - Top Bloke

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1066714' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:51 PM']Mark, I'll be in tomorrow to grab that Blueburst L2500!

Alex[/quote]

I had my eye on that but the snow stopped us getting there! I did my usual trick of being impatient and bought a Ray5 instead. I still like the look of the Mayones and the Clover 5 too if you are having a drive down I would like a report back on what you think of them,Ta. Next purchase is defo a 1x12 from Bassdirect next year, Infact if I had waited a few weeks I could of had both the G&L and the Genz cab instead of the Ray5 for the same outlay. Im always a sucker for being patient!

[quote name='E sharp' post='1067055' date='Dec 22 2010, 06:36 PM']Spoke to Mark yesterday at around 1pm , and ordered a Great Gramma .....[/quote]

Ahhh, I traded mine in recently for some other Bass Gear. Seemed like a good time to sell to be honest...

Wait.... You're not talking about elderly relatives are you?

[quote name='dood' post='1067133' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:40 PM']Ahhh, I traded mine in recently for some other Bass Gear. Seemed like a good time to sell to be honest...

Wait.... You're not talking about elderly relatives are you?[/quote]

You guys are killing me........I can hardly concentrate on Nigella...now stop it :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1067188' date='Dec 22 2010, 08:34 PM']As a fellow retailer, I know what it's like this time of the year, especially if you're on your own.[/quote]

Pete

Agreed - the snow is REALLY not helping! I have customers in from Cheshire, Bristol, London etc in the last couple of days - they are heroes for braving the weather!

Mark

[quote name='poptart' post='1066930' date='Dec 22 2010, 04:16 PM']This is a very different cab to the Neox212T, I love the 212T, one of favourite cabs of all time (although the new Berg 212 is taking it on) the NV610 is a monster, if you like the mid growl and SVT tone then this cab is the biz!

Mark[/quote]

Which in your opinion is the winner if that's possible? Both have great form factor, the Genz is slightly cheaper.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1067290' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:23 PM']Which in your opinion is the winner if that's possible? Both have great form factor, the Genz is slightly cheaper.[/quote]

Well - that is always subjective, both cabs are excellent IMO - the Genz Benz Neox 212T has a little more upper mid, where as the Bergantino AE212 has superior high end detail. The AE212 is more compact and edges the Neox 212T on build quality but both are ideal for a wide range of musical applications and light IMHO.

Mark

[quote name='poptart' post='1067299' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:31 PM']Well - that is always subjective, both cabs are excellent IMO - the Genz Benz Neox 212T has a little more upper mid, where as the Bergantino AE212 has superior high end detail.[/quote]

Which is why I chose the Genz.... I love the upper mid 'grind' and don't need the glassy high end... :)

Bah!
Drove up to Bassdirect today because I wanted that G & L, but also really wanted to try that 2nd hand Fender '83 FL P. If I liked it I woulda gone for that instead!
But, alas, as I was walking towards the hallowed orange unit 12 door, I noticed a distinct lack of footprints leading up to it. I tested the door anyway but no, 'twas not to be!
Bloody weather!!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1067969' date='Dec 23 2010, 05:12 PM']Bah!
Drove up to Bassdirect today because I wanted that G & L, but also really wanted to try that 2nd hand Fender '83 FL P. If I liked it I woulda gone for that instead!
But, alas, as I was walking towards the hallowed orange unit 12 door, I noticed a distinct lack of footprints leading up to it. I tested the door anyway but no, 'twas not to be!
Bloody weather!!

Truckstop[/quote]

Ahhh - that was the backdoor, the main door is on the other side of the unit in the courtyard - it was a crazy busy day today and I was looking forward to you coming in!!

(I really should put a notice on that door - sorry dude!)

Mark

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1067969' date='Dec 23 2010, 05:12 PM']Bah!
Bloody weather!!

Truckstop[/quote]
Actually, Mark hid behind the door as he had just read on BassChat that you really like Mistletoe and Wine by Cliff Richard!

[quote name='Sibob' post='1068135' date='Dec 23 2010, 07:31 PM']Do people not use mobile telephones anymore?? :)

I'd love to come visit at some point, but its a little off the beaten track for me.....one day :)

Si[/quote]

Si

45minutes to High Wycombe on the M40 - door to door!

Get the train and I will pick you up from Leamington Station.

No excuses ;-)

Mark