Why become a member? ×

4 string is enough for you??

bubinga5

Never thought his would happen as i love 5 string basses, and love playing Gospel... but i have come to conclusion (for me) that 4 is enough..ive had many 5's and a six and feel really comfortable on both.. maybe im getting old and like a good ole 4..

No doubt i will get a lovely Lakland 55-02 at some point, just because i love those basses....

i realise that this is totally down to personal taste, and what sort of music you play.... but has anyone else come from 5 strings 6 strings, maybe even 7,8,9,10 stings but then after time come to this conclusion...? or maybe you play both?

I play in a covers band and this was the initial spur for me to play 5 string (transposed song keys and a number of songs that needed D or lower). However a blast of GAS for another ACG meant I have now started playing a 4 string again and whilst I have put a D tuner on to cope with some of the songs I am really enjoying it. I was getting a bit lazy on the 5 string and sat around the 5th fret playing everything without thinking (probably only a problem if you're playing standard covers stuff) - the 4 string has forced me to revisit the way I play, which is no bad thing.

Martin

I've tried playing my Precision but it doesn't work for me anymore. I'd never say never, but 5's are so comprehensively better for me that I can't see me ever changing back.

I don't see much use for 6 strings in my style so I'll settle for what I've got.

I would like a Rob Allen bass but that would have to be a 5 as well.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1064711' date='Dec 20 2010, 03:14 PM']I play in a covers band and this was the initial spur for me to play 5 string (transposed song keys and a number of songs that needed D or lower). However a blast of GAS for another ACG meant I have now started playing a 4 string again and whilst I have put a D tuner on to cope with some of the songs I am really enjoying it...[/quote]
4 and a D tuner is fine for me too. Played 5 strings in a heavy band because that was the sound but then left the band and only play 5 for poops and sniggers at home now.

I much prefer playing 4's, but the one 5'er I have has been a really good experience so far. One band I am in tunes to low A, and the other band does a cover that needs the Low B. Took me a little while to get my head round it, as all of a sudden the normal bottom string is where the A string is, so a few times I fretted a few bum notes on the B string! :)

Given half a chance, I would go back to playing a 4 though. Just feels much more natural to me. I did a little work on one of my 4's to tune it BEAD, and tried using that, but the lack of G string made some song parts much harder to play, so I took the plunge into 5 string land :)

I'm really a four string guy, after years of 5 string playing, I really found my sound on a 4 string. 5 strings are like a necessary evil for me, and useful tools for many gigs and styles... I have been multi-stringed in the past and feel I have nothing to prove in that respect, I'd much rather play with a sound I love. It's probably a vintage thing. Guys into modern tones will play 5's all the time, a no brainer decision for versatility. Vintage/Old school guys will plod around on 4 strings mostly I expect.

If I were forced (at gun point and fearing certain death) to choose one configuration, I would choose a five string tuned E-C. In reality this offers me everything I really want from an instrument.

Thankfully I can have more than one instrument, so I'll keep my 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's and 8 string ERB :)

I've been playing 5-string basses for over 20 years now.

I don't always need the extra string - sometimes I only need a single string, but with a 5-string all the notes I might want to use are there and I don't have to think about detuning or swapping basses just for the sake of the songs that need lower notes than E.

I still have a couple of fretless 4-strings that I use from time to time, but as soon as I've found 5-string versions of these I'll be moving them on.

I've also discovered that deciding to only play 5-string basses has done wonders to curb my spending as there's a lot less that appeal to me.

I play mainly 5, i could easily live without one, just after playing one for a year and getting used to playing songs on it, it just feels easier, and also i think i look wierd with a 4, it looks too small on me, so theres abit of aesthetic in there too. My next bass is either gonna be a 5 or 6, unless i find a REALLY good deal on a MusicMan Stingray 3EQ.

Liam

I have no problems switching between 4,5 and 6 strings-although my 6'ers haven't been out much lately. I've been using a five string for pretty much everything lately,but I always have my good old Fender Jazz sitting nearby. I prefer to thump on a four string,as I don't particularly like the sound of it on the low B,but it's no big deal.
I could probably do most of my work on a four string,but you never know when you'll be given a part with those lower notes written-which seems to be happening more often these days,now that arrangers and MDs are getting hip to the five strings range.

I am going back to 4 strings. Spent the last couple of years trying to like 5 strings but i just prefer 4 strings. They feel more like a "real" bass whilst 5/6stringers seem more like freaks. That said, i am getting on a bit and maybe its the old dog new tricks syndrome.

So anyone looking for a nice 5 string Lakland Skyline 55-02 in absolutely mint condition? :)

I always thought four strings was enough but now I am confused. I used to play tuned to C, which was fine on a four string with biggish strings. Then everything became drop D or standard and again a four string was enough. Now I'm playing stuff where a low A is needed (or I think is needed) and I'm thinking a five could be needed. I could easily change one of my basses to be able to get a drop A, but I don't think I could get a string that could do both a drop A and a drop D, which would mean taking two basses to practices or gigs (each bass wouldn't be much of a backup to each other either). Also, I don't like the idea of altering either my Vigier or old Precision to the point that it would be permanently in low A tuning, as I would feel it would either a waste of a great four string bass, or I would be worried about whether the old bass could take it.

So on balance, now that I have a bit of money together, I'm now on the look for a five string bass, preferably with 24 frets.

A while back, I was determined to go "old school" and stick to an old Precision with flats on it, [i]but[/i], it just didn't work, I missed the low B too much. At home, for fun, I use a 5 string fretless, but within both bands I'm very happy with the Spector Euro 4, there's really no need for a B string from a band point of view.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1064875' date='Dec 20 2010, 06:18 PM']I am going back to 4 strings. Spent the last couple of years trying to like 5 strings but i just prefer 4 strings. They feel more like a "real" bass whilst 5/6stringers seem more like freaks. That said, i am getting on a bit and maybe its the old dog new tricks syndrome.

So anyone looking for a nice 5 string Lakland Skyline 55-02 in absolutely mint condition? :)[/quote]
Yes i frickin am BE but cash is lacking..if i was to get any 5 it would like yours..love them 55-02's..

[quote name='gary mac' post='1064815' date='Dec 20 2010, 05:21 PM']I know this will sound like a narrow minded, ill thought out reply but to me the bass guitar is a four stringed instrument.[/quote]

Same here, sorry! :)

I recently bought a 5 string bass after 30 years of playing 4 strings, mainly because I got fed up with people asking me if I played 5 string, and if not why not? Now I can at least say I tried it & it wasn't really for me.

99% of my favourite players play 4 string, and I've never heard anybody play anything on a 5 string that made me think "WOW! I've just GOT to have that low B".