Why become a member? ×

Bass colour

ThomBassmonkey

I'm eyeing up a couple of lovely basses at the moment, both are good basses for fair prices, but they're both oddly coloured (which is why one in particular hasn't sold I suspect).

Personally, it puts me right off, and it must do other people too, but since people don't tend to post their negative opinions on for sale threads, I thought I'd ask here.

Of course there's always the option of a re-finish, but when you had £2-300 onto the cost of a bass, it stops being a good deal.

Depends on the bass and depends on the finish/colour.

If it's something fairly common, then I'd wait for one in a more attractive finish to come along.

For something that doesn't come up for sale as often, I'd look at the price of the bass plus a refinish against getting one in exactly the finish I wanted. I'd also factor in the time I'd have to wait to get a new one in my chosen finish against how long the refinish would take.

And there's always the chance that you might like the finish more once you see the bass "in the flesh" - some photography doesn't do the instrument trying to be sold any favours...

I've noticed that my pink bass is anything else but, whilst under the house lights.

So much for the standout!

Big Red, yet again, serves up some sage advice -f it's a common bass, then much like buses, could not simply wait for the right one to come along?

Something more rare or otherwise desirable, then consider it. Wasn't that much the story with your black Gus, Red?

When I'm buying a bass, colour is insignificant compared with tone and playability. With recorded material, nobody sees the colour, and when playing live, it is likely that the audience perception and opinion of colour will not align with yours in any case.

In the past I've bought two basses where I found the colour/finish not to my taste, but the tone and playability were too good to pass up. These become some of my most played instruments. Eventually I got used to the colour, and in the case of my yellow P-bass clone, grew to really like it.

Jennifer

[quote name='neepheid' post='1037884' date='Nov 26 2010, 03:36 PM']I'd overlook a lot for the right bass, and that includes the colour[/quote]
+1!
Thank God someone else thinks this. I was beginning to think I was alone. A Good bass is defined by many things, possibly least among which is the colour/finish. If you have the luxury of choice regarding finish, then fine...

If I am ordering a bass from the manufacturer and I've got a chance to choose, then I will choose a red colour. I like red to the max! If I am buying used or from a shop stock a bass which I really really want, I'll take whatever colour they have as long as its not a dark sparkly green which I find revolting, in fact the only green I can stomach is seafoam green or mint green.

It's definitely important to me and it totally changes depending on the style of the bass. For Precisions I prefer them some kind of blue, Jazzes should be white/tort guard and Rickenbackers should be anything but fireglow.

Only like sunbursts (or black) on blocked necked Fenders but IMO absolutely everything looks good in natural!

How's that for picky?

I think looks are important to everyone to varying degrees or we'd all just pick the first one off the wall. Nobody I know tries every bass in the shop so looks must be factor. I've stripped a couple of basses too as I prefered the look but liked the weight / tone. Ultimately playability, reputation etc has to be important but it's the look that makes us pick an instrument up in the first place

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1038065' date='Nov 26 2010, 06:04 PM']I think looks are important to everyone to varying degrees or we'd all just pick the first one off the wall. Nobody I know tries every bass in the shop so looks must be factor. I've stripped a couple of basses too as I prefered the look but liked the weight / tone. Ultimately playability, reputation etc has to be important but it's the look that makes us pick an instrument up in the first place[/quote]
I agree. I wouldn't buy a bass that look bad to me just because it sounded good (I tend to buy basses that appeal to me and make them sound better :)). The look/style of your instrument is part of the bands image too not just an expression of who you are. There is a degree of being a team player in there somewhere. I hate seeing bands with a general mix of guitars and styles then there's the lead guitar with his flash all singing and dancing axe and 3 different stacks to switch into - you just think what a w@nker.

Edited by Ou7shined

I'm a refreshingly shallow individual so colour and shape are very important to me. Seriously, a boring bass just wouldn't float my boat. There's enough out there that we can each find one that both looks AND sounds right for each of us.

pretty important to me...and the visual appeal is what makes me notice the bass in the first instance.
But if the bass really sounded like I must have it come what may, then the colour would have to grow on me.

I have a white jazz which didn't do too much for me visually when I first got it but I got it to how I like it, put on a tort plate to finish it and now it is the business in every respect. And despite having a showey bass on the stand as well..which is also very good, the odd bass gets all the attention...by a long way

[quote name='Twigman' post='1037947' date='Nov 26 2010, 04:31 PM']I can't stand finishes which show the grain at all on the body.

I gotta have a solid/metallic/flake finish.....bursts make me puke/and wood is just pony......

I suspect I'm in the minority[/quote]

I'm guessing you won't like mine then :)

[attachment=65093:boelite4full.jpg]

Colour and appearance is extremely important to me.
Why would I even want to try a bass that I don't like the look of? There's enough guitars out there that sooner or later, you'll find one that looks great to you and sounds the way you want it to sound too.

Truckstop

Colour is fairly important to me on basses. If a bass were a colour that I didn`t like, it`s doubtful that I would even try it, even if it were a brand/model of bass that I really liked. Makes no sense really, as it could be the best example of that model, and a local guy, TJC Guitars in Stevenage, will do a nitro re-finish for £150. I suppose, like most people, I want everything perfect straight off.