Why become a member? ×

Bass colour

ThomBassmonkey

I find myself drawn toward black or white basses as a rule... though I do like a nice dark purple, midnight blue or deep red...

Orange, yellow and baby blue are no-no's... though I'm strangely drawn to forest greens :)

Sunbursts are a bit 'vanilla' for me.... and 'natural' I find dull unless it's spalted, highly figured etc...

I don't like black ones because they look grubby too easily. I don't like red, I don't like sparkly paints, pearloid pickguards or quilted maple. White would be good, I think sunbursts are popular because basses have big bodies and it breaks them up a bit, same with natural finishes.

The only unsual-coloured bass I've had was when I once sprayed a Jazz orange with car paint (it was metallic blue from the factory) and I really liked it.

Im a big fan of natural provided its a nice figured bit of wood, in particular i always dreamed of having a bass with a cocobolo top especialy the reddy brown type with lots of swirly grain (a bit like mark kings old alembic) natural ash or alder i find a bit uninspiring.
For colours it has to be red, i love fiesta red on a P, but i really love a dark black cherry kind of red, a bit like a good rioja colour (yummy) the only finish ive seen near to my perfect is spector and musicman do a nice black cherry, oh and it has to be transparent with a nice AAAAA quilted maple, i do love that minty green colour musicman has on its classic ray at the moment and sonic blue on a jazz bass is great.
I did have a musicman sterling with a lovely cherryburst finish which was very special, i also quite like warwicks emerald green which is quite dark.
so you could say yeah!!! how it looks is important, and feel and sound after all if your paying a lot of money for a guitar it should tick all the boxes

Edited by lee650

White all the way for me. I have a black one too which looks ok and is the only other colour option for me. I used to say white for fretless and black for fretted. These days I only like white. I need to look sharp on stage, and white basses are, without exception, very stylish and look great in any musical situation.

The ugliest finishes I have ever seen are the Pedulla two tone bursts, HIDEOUS to behold, and you can see the wood grain through them too which makes them even more HIDEOUS.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1041912' date='Nov 30 2010, 06:01 AM']Colour is TOO important for me! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the new Peavey Grind 6ers to come out JUST because they will be in black :)[/quote]

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for a CAR P copy!

:)

Tricky one & obviously one which on which opinions are divided. I'm shallow & need to find the bass & it's colour attractive. However I've grown to like certain colours more than I used to - I don't generally like 3 tone sunburst & it almost put me off buying a Mex jazz ( from Jezzaboy btw) but now I think it looks pretty good with a nice grain through it( partly because it sounds great & i've had a few compliments on it's appearance - see ,I am shallow).

I like the look of maple necks & think that the colour of the scratch plate( if there is one) makes a big difference .

Always liked the look of a black bass , but accept that it can get a bit "lost" when watching a band especially if a black outfit ( how old does that sound?) is worn. And another thing, why do so many bands wear black , I'm hip but is it not a bit passe? :) :) & can influence how the big bad bass looks.

I like black basses - always have. I've tried red, white and sunburst but just don't like the look of any of those. I like green basses if the finish is translucent, but not if the grain underneath is rippled, etc. Wood finishes are also nice but not of they're burled - fine for a table, but not for a bass IMHO :)

[quote name='charic' post='1042514' date='Nov 30 2010, 04:11 PM']For all you haters of green basses :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=65213"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=65213[/url][/quote]

now i really like that bass, lovely!!

I'm not too picky, but I avoid any bass with gold hardware. Preference on colour works with design as well, as some of the block colours I don't like on Fenders (White, that horrible frosty grey colour, bright red ) but look good on other designs. To me a Fender of any standard will never really look out of place at a gig, pretty much on the basis as its a Fender and Fenders are everywhere.

My preferences for Fender type instruments: Cherry sunburst, Natural, Black, Deep wine Red (a la the new Deluxe range), lake placid blue. I also love the colouring of some of the Sandberg hardcore aged basses, even if I'm not a fan of relic-work.

Depends on the shape/style of the bass, fingerboard (Rose, Ebony, Maple,...), and hardware. But I've always like natural Walnut, and deep reds. I think they look sort of classic- not like "toys" (bursts, bright colors, etc. No offense!). Now, brighter finishes are cool too, and some are even classic as well in their own right. But in my gut I always hit the bulls-eye with the darker tones- woods and dark reds or maroons.

I'm in a band that does large shows, and have a Midnight Wine Jazz Bass with a pearly pick guard and chrome hardware. Looks nice, and shows up alright with lights and a black drop behind us. I'm sort of looking for something with lighter colors for the show thing though; but my most personal preference is not for flash, but what I perceive as more 'soulful' colors.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1041912' date='Nov 30 2010, 06:01 AM']Colour is TOO important for me! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the new Peavey Grind 6ers to come out JUST because they will be in black :)[/quote]
Thankfully, the old Peavey Grind 6ers are in natural...

Not really... my most played is a black jazz and I really dislike black... I got a green P to match our drummers kit only to find that he sold it and bought a red one... not so keen on green either.

Sold on my two nicest lookers... natural wood.