Why become a member? ×

What AMP(s) is in your Local Rehearsal Studio?

JMT3781

I was just wondering what other people had to work with at their local studio, as i result of learning some of you have markbass :)

At ours, we have Ashdown ABM EVO 500's with ABM 8x10's

I normally bring my Markbass SD1200 and use it to run one of the 8x10's... quite a good sound.. not as bright as my own cabs, but its fine for practice :)

so what do you guys have to work with, or do you take your own?

Used 3 in the last couple of years. Carbon in B'ham have Laney 4X10 combos, OK but not great, One in Coventry has a choice of Laneys and Hartke 3500 4X10 combos, so impressed with the Hartke I bought one, one in the Black Country has a (pribably 70s vintage) Carlsbro Stingray with a 1X15, OK but not to my taste.

Oh, and a few weeks ago I was in one that had a Stagg Combo.....nuff said, wont be going back without one of my own.

Really cant believe the crap some of em have.

in edinburgh there seemed to be a mix of lower end ampeg and ashdown.... basically what had been on sale the previous few years in soundcontrol.
a little bit of me dies inside every time i walk into a room to fin a peavey stack though. I apprecaite they do what they do well. its just a million miles from what i want a bass to sound like.

[quote name='clauster' post='1033291' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:31 PM']My local one has a mix of old trace, ashdown mag and hartke.

Brighton Electric ( the one with the Mark Bass amps) isn't just a rehearsal complex - there's also a good recording studio on site. They've also got a vintage SVT with matching 8 X 10.[/quote]
I've only used Brighton Electric a couple of times and the Markbass equipment and cleanliness are very good. However, we suffered from the lack of sound proofing when we had a metal band in the next studio when we are a relatively quiet band.

Monster in Hove has mostly Hartke bass rigs and is also clean and tidy.

Another Brighton studio is slightly cheaper but is unclean, unpleasant, and the bass gear - which is a mix of Ashdown and Hartke - is in poor condition. It's often easier to get a room there at short notice.

Line 6 LD300

This is the amp that changed my opinion of 1x15 combo's. Ok some of the modelling settings are a bit too processed for me but you can get a really decent sound out of it, and it's loud enough to gig (I know because I used the same amp at a 'back line provided" charity gig).

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1033375' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:23 PM']Very old Peaveys - don`t know the model numbers, but the same ones I used to use in the 80s.

But then, Peavey gear is indestructable..........................................[/quote]

Quoted for truth, I've been in a few rehearsal studios with 20+ year-old Peavey bass gear that still does the job.

Ashdown combo, Carlbro combo and HH combo...all free
Nobody uses them as far as I know :) altho I have hired out the Ashdown for a couple of gigs when my gear was down

Another uses a brand new Hartke combo which is funny because the rest of the place is a complete dump.
Another uses a couple of 12" combos which aren't loud enough..can't recall what they are, they are so memorable..

The only one I use is the Markbass 210 combo otherwise I'll take my own

Edited by JTUK

The last time I used a place that had equipment to hire they had a totally f***ed Carlsbro combo with a torn speaker and a 2 x 10" combo with one blown driver.

Fortunately now we use a place and only hire the room (£20 for as long as we like) and use our own amps.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1033357' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:11 PM']Christ you guys are lucky! Its all Ashdown EB180 combos and Crate something-150's.[/quote]

Aren't they! :lol:

Rehearsed the other night and it was a Fender Rumble 100. It did the job. If I'd spent some time tweaking I'd probably got a sound I preferred out of it.
I've got a rehearsal tonight, somewhere different, (as long as things go to plan) and arranged to hire an amp (mine won't keep up). I'm a little worried as last time we went there we hired a kit and, well, it wasn't particularly impressive.

I've just found the website for the rehearsal studios, apparently it's a quid for a 50w practice amp. Oh well, should make for an interesting session :)

EDIT: also describes itself as state of the art? Uh, well, not really. :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='BassBen' post='1034120' date='Nov 23 2010, 05:22 PM']Ashdown mag 300 1x15 combo in ours. :lol:[/quote]

Don't be sad :)
Last night I found that the amp supplied was a beat up Peavey TKO80. Jeez was it rough. Twiddle, twiddle and more twiddle and still couldn't find out how to make it sound good, although this was complicated by the strange buzzing noise made at random intervals :)

Notes Studios in North Shields has an old Trace 4x10 combo running through an anonymous 1x15 extension cab in one room, and Ashdown MAG stuff in the other two. When I'm feeling lazy, they do the job, but I try to take my own backline wherever possible.

I can't believe that there are rehearsal places that have MarkBass gear!! How much extra do they charge per hour? We pay £12.50 an hour whether we use their gear or not.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1033350' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:05 PM']I've only used Brighton Electric a couple of times and the Markbass equipment and cleanliness are very good. However, we suffered from the lack of sound proofing when we had a metal band in the next studio when we are a relatively quiet band.

Monster in Hove has mostly Hartke bass rigs and is also clean and tidy.

Another Brighton studio is slightly cheaper but is unclean, unpleasant, and the bass gear - which is a mix of Ashdown and Hartke - is in poor condition. It's often easier to get a room there at short notice.[/quote]

I didnt think Electric was that clean when I was there last, had huge ugly sounding Peavey rig (was awful) and a Markbass combo (112 of some kind) which was really nice.

Much prefer Monster, its the cleanest, best looked after rehearsal space I've been in, only downside is the supplied old Hartke rigs are very underpowered, you have to thrash the nuts off them to keep up, I generally take my rig (or at least my head) down and use that, to me its worth it....

There's another one off the Lewes road (sorry cant remember the name) with shockingly awful 810s in it with Peavey heads, my god they sound rubbish!

The old Peavey gear was never exactly luxury sound, but the newer stuff I've had the misfortune to run into in reheasal studios has been dreadful IME.