Why become a member? ×

Tone goals/style totally changed

Musicman20

I no longer practice with a plectrum or learn basslines I used to.

It's all slightly funky, more fingerstyle lines I learn now.

Even my tone goals/bass requirements are changing.

I still love playing rock/punk with a tube amp/precision/pick, but I feel I've learnt as much as I can with that music. I enjoy it, but things are changing.

Has this happened to anyone else?!

I'm buying gear I won't use in my band just for my enjoyment at home (eg Ray 5 HS etc).

Practicing solo at home has got more fun, that's for sure.

OMG Gareth :)

Are we shortly going to see myriad threads entitled "What's the best single cut 6 string cocobolo money can buy"? :lol:

Seriously, I am too, I am having a ball using a Chris Squire tone with flanger and gritty overdrive. I used to hate playing with that kind of sound, always been a stickler for big old round, punchy reggae tones.

I'm so inconsistent - my tone goals/aims and music tastes frequently flip every 2 weeks or so. It's something I've learnt to put up with. I'd blame it on being a teenager, but I'm one year out of that phase :)

In that way, I'm glad I got a Jazz bass at least.

Edited by HMX

I think, despite the fact half my collection doesnt/wont suit (when they all arrive) my current band, its always good to have other projects in mind. Even if its just practicing at home waiting for the right band to come along.

A 5 string or any kind of 'modern' bass wont really suit the slightly modern punk band Im in, despite the fact the guitarist has a sparkly silver PRS. But, part of me just doesnt care, as I wont JUST be playing in rock or punk bands all my life.

I am even starting to want another more laid band, melodic funky band.

Ill always like a gritty P bass, but gone has the 'super in your face trebly tone' I used to like when I had my Trace. Im much more happy with a big fat warm, punchy tone. Ive found excellent ways of EQing my Rays with the 2 or 3 band that gets you a more 'bass' orientated punchy tone, instead of the usual pick/snarl. They do both very well, but I no longer want my tone to stick out a mile from all the other instruments.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='983526' date='Oct 10 2010, 05:31 PM']I have been soloing the neck PUP with the tone rolled off and with fingers lately, I'm 27 :)[/quote]

+1....its starting dude!

I listen to NOFX all the time, and I still like his twangy tone, but Ive tried doing it in a band and it just sounds too thin unless you really have your volume high.

Ive been borrowing a Big Al SSS this weekend, and I keep going back to the neck pup with the passive tone control. But then at the click of a button, you can have the back bridge pup snarling away.

Part of me is still a bit worried the shape is too 'out there', but you only live once.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='983535' date='Oct 10 2010, 05:37 PM']+1....its starting dude!

I listen to NOFX all the time, and I still like his twangy tone, but Ive tried doing it in a band and it just sounds too thin unless you really have your volume high.[/quote]

I'm a fan too, and I think you're right. Whenever I hear a tone that sounds good and really 'sticks out' from the band - be it NOFX or Iron Maiden - you kinda know it wouldn't work in a modern-day band situation. Steve Harris and Fat Mike (correct me if I'm wrong) - are both 'leaders' of the bands. In this way, they can have more say about how loud the bass is.

Thanks chaps....it was kind of tongue in cheek. Its definitely my style maturing. Ive slayed playing ultra ultra fast with a pick. Now I want to be able to play smooth melodic and aggressive funky bass lines with fingers only. A little slap even creeped in today, but I tend to only like the Flea type slap at the moment.

I just find myself thinking 'right, I want to be able to be a really good all round bassist' so when Im ready to find another quality covers band or originals band thats more 'musical', ill be able to keep up with no plectrums involved.

I actually find playing with fingers, especially something like Jamiroquai or Chili Peppers, very satisfying. I LOVE diggin in when the chorus kicks in, etc, to get the bass to growl a bit more.

Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears - ace basslines.

I've gone from being a fingers player to using a plectrum more and more. I'm also playing closer to the bridge than I used to. Learning 2 handed tapping as well as the occasional chord.

I would say my playing has come on so much more in the last 3 or 4 years and I think its been from listening to what people on here have to say about stuff and being introduced to new bands and picking up new tricks

Oh aye, I'm 35

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='ahpook' post='983600' date='Oct 10 2010, 06:23 PM']i just reckon as you get older the top-end of your hearing goes, and everything starts sounding like a motown bassline.

:)[/quote]

LMAO

Seriously, I just think this is part of your bass-playing evolving. You play what catches your ear.

Go with it.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='983759' date='Oct 10 2010, 08:44 PM']Doesn't everyone just get old, hard of hearing and accidentally buy a P Bass, doggedly sticking to it until the grave?[/quote]

Nah, some of us just start off with one...

I think that everybody goes through a phase of learning or being interested in styles that is out of their normal comfort zone. I went through an interest in funk and jazz from 18-21 as I started developing new techniques like slap, double thumb, tapping. I think its good to pick up these techniques to keep practise interesting, though they have never been used in the context of a band I've been in, because generally they just didn't mix. I have also been playing pop/rock stuff and even folk stuff over the years, which has aided my adaptability, but hasn't really changed my overall outlook on what I want to acheive which has always been fairly consistent. The only problem is finding the right people to play in the way I want.

As I get older I'm trying to focus on playing what I want rather than keep slotting into other styles. I really don't to fall into bridge pickup fingerstyle funk/jazz on a jazz bass a big eq bump in the mids, as it really does nothing for me personally whether its playing or listening.