Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash Year 4, Surrey, 27th November 2010

silverfoxnik

[quote name='cetera' post='1040459' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:17 PM']A wonderful day spent in the company of many rather splendid chaps (& Sarah & Soph!) :)

It was great to catch up with some old friends and to finally put faces to names and chat all things bass - while having a good laugh and learning lots...

Thanks to all who organised the event and did the worshops etc. 'Stars' the lot of you.... :)

Luckily I didn't come away with any [i]major[/i] GAS, though Nige's amazing homebuild bass and Robocorpse's Ricky and EMG loaded Thunderbird were particularly nice... as were OBBM's Phil Jones combo and Charic's TC Electronics rig...!

And finally, wonderful news about the money raised. A fitting tribute to Si (OldGit)....

Here's to next year![/quote]

OBBM's rig just brought a huge grin to my face. Absolutely brilliant!

You did look just a little bit shocked at the TC rig :lol: I especially liked the comment of "Don't tell my wife or band members that you can get this sound out of something that light".

Superb effort everyone, really sorry I couldn't be there but you chaps do the site proud and have helped raise a lot of money for a needy cause, and best of all, made a bloody racket doing it.

Massive thank you to everyone involved and to those who attended, I always say it but I think events like this really help the community feel of the forums, it's so much better to have met some of the avatars, so to speak.

Well done and thanks very much

ped

Interestingly the latest BGM that came throught the letterbox this morning has a feature and review on compressors.

Also I retrieved my dbx163a from the garage. It's only got one knob and a slider so Isuppose that means it will have to go. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='1041723' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:21 PM']Interestingly the latest BGM that came throught the letterbox this morning has a feature and review on compressors.[/quote]
Rubbish review actually, as it the word b*ll*x does not appear anywhere. Obviously not done by a technician, eh 51m0n? :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='obbm' post='1041723' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:21 PM']Interestingly the latest BGM that came throught the letterbox this morning has a feature and review on compressors.

Also I retrieved my dbx163a from the garage. It's only got one knob and a slider so Isuppose that means it will have to go. :)[/quote]
...what else have you got lurking in that garage Dave...? The Orange head, this DBX etc, etc..Seems to me like it's a bit of an Aladdin's Cave!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1041762' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:41 PM']...what else have you got lurking in that garage Dave...? The Orange head, this DBX etc, etc..Seems to me like it's a bit of an Aladdin's Cave![/quote]

A bit of this and that. It's surprising what you collect over the years. :) I generally tend to hang on to things because you just never know.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='1041723' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:21 PM']Interestingly the latest BGM that came throught the letterbox this morning has a feature and review on compressors.[/quote]

I did notice that one of BassGear's Fodera's was the subject of a review in that one though.

(Must not Have GAS for a Fodera, Must not Have GAS for a Fodera, Must sell my soul for a Fodera, Must not Have GAS for a Fodera... Help Me)

[quote name='obbm' post='1041723' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:21 PM']Interestingly the latest BGM that came throught the letterbox this morning has a feature and review on compressors.

Also I retrieved my dbx163a from the garage. It's only got one knob and a slider so Isuppose that means it will have to go. :)[/quote]

Not at all, it has a decent attempt at useful metering (shows gain reduction) and two knobs effectively, threshold and makeup gain. Being a soft knee (dbx call this overeasy) compressor it starts compressing below the threshold and reaches its set ratio at the threhold.

This compressors a bit of a one trick pony to be sure, but its trick is really supposed to be fairly transparent compression, if you use ot for some gentle levelling you should be fine.

I got my copy of BGM today too. Oh the irony!

Can't say I agree with everything he says in there by any means, in fact I don't really think he has conveyed the nuances of compression very well at all, its a bit misleading IMO. He also makes a typical lazy sweeping generalisation that is actually wrong. He states as fact that the threshold on all compressors is at its lowest when the control is set anti-clockwise. Except this is exactly wrong for all the Joe Meek compressors out there, so if anyone is getting one of those RTFM and save yourself some pain!

Did notice a huge lack of metering on all of those compressors offered up as the bees knes for bass too. Hey ho!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Clarky' post='1041736' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:29 PM']Rubbish review actually, as it the word b*ll*x does not appear anywhere. Obviously not done by a technician, eh 51m0n? :)[/quote]

Absolutely, written by someone with no true understanding of the subject matter if he didnt see all the b*ll*x :)

[quote name='obbm' post='1041769' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:45 PM']A bit of this and that. It's surprising what you collect over the years. :D I generally tend to hang on to things because you just never know.[/quote]

No old girlfriends gathering dust in the corner behind the Bassman cab though are there?!? :) :) :lol:

[quote name='cetera' post='1042101' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:59 AM']No old girlfriends gathering dust in the corner behind the Bassman cab though are there?!? :) :) :lol:[/quote]

You know I haven't looked for a while. I'll pop out there when the snow stops and see who I can find. :D

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1044859' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:37 AM']Just a quick update to say that I double checked the Register and as Hamster's figures show, 37 of us turned up on the day which was pretty good..Must try to beat that next year!![/quote]
That's not bad!

Shame there aren't more photos.

I forgot my damn camera, normally I'd have loads of pictures to share :)

I have to admit I actually brought my camera but ended up spending most of the time in the hall where the various 'seminars' were going on. DOH!
In between other diversions and chatting with various others, I realized I'd left little time for taking pics (or for the Jam Room, too! :) ).
Must do better next time... :)

Great fun! My apologies for spending most of the day hiding in the jam room, much of it playing the drums badly - I'm clearly suffering a lack of jamming since my band went on hiatus. Next time I shall endeavour to be more keen to talk about basses, speakers and all that, instead of just wanting to hit loud things!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1045293' date='Dec 2 2010, 04:22 PM']Great fun! My apologies for spending most of the day hiding in the jam room, much of it playing the drums badly - I'm clearly suffering a lack of jamming since my band went on hiatus. Next time I shall endeavour to be more keen to talk about basses, speakers and all that, instead of just wanting to hit loud things![/quote]

Hey Alex - really enjoyed the sound of your cabs with the GB 6.0 - great pairing.

I can't believe this was just a week ago the snow seems to have sent the country into a timewarp.

Nick - got any more pics off your phone yet? Do upload them when you can, it really was a super cool day.

Cheers

Mike

Sorry Peeps.

Jon Shuker rang me the night before I was coming down to the bash, saying it was forecast 10cm of snow for the next day in his Derbyshire Peak district village. So I didn't go and pick up the Shuker Satinline prototype as planned :)

In the same conversation we rearranged for me to visit on the 3rd (yesterday) ...which was again scrubbed due to the weather, which up here has been pretty severe.

So, sorry about the no-show, but all good things are worth waiting for (maybe this should be the new Shuker 'strapline'?) :)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1049942' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:03 PM']I got asked by a Basschatter at this bash if I had any Bass T-shirts in 5XL size.

I'm afraid I didn't note his name. Can someone suggest who that was so I can give him some news please?

Thanks,

Phil[/quote]
That'll be me then :)

[quote name='urb' post='1047155' date='Dec 4 2010, 10:29 AM']Hey Alex - really enjoyed the sound of your cabs with the GB 6.0 - great pairing.

I can't believe this was just a week ago the snow seems to have sent the country into a timewarp.

Nick - got any more pics off your phone yet? Do upload them when you can, it really was a super cool day.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]
Hey Mike

Did you get your scarf by the way?

Just waiting for my new Blackberry to arrive, then I'll be able to upload some of the pics I took on the day :)

Nik