Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash Year 4, Surrey, 27th November 2010

silverfoxnik

A wonderful day spent in the company of many rather splendid chaps (& Sarah & Soph!) :)

It was great to catch up with some old friends and to finally put faces to names and chat all things bass - while having a good laugh and learning lots...

Thanks to all who organised the event and did the worshops etc. 'Stars' the lot of you.... :)

Luckily I didn't come away with any [i]major[/i] GAS, though Nige's amazing homebuild bass and Robocorpse's Ricky and EMG loaded Thunderbird were particularly nice... as were OBBM's Phil Jones combo and Charic's TC Electronics rig...!

And finally, wonderful news about the money raised. A fitting tribute to Si (OldGit)....

Here's to next year!

[quote name='silddx' post='1040362' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:59 PM']That's fantastic! Great stuff, Colin :)[/quote]

+100

That really is incredibly gratifying that 100% of the dosh going charity, it doesn't get better than indulging your bass nerd needs and raising money for three good causes... awesome work people!

Well done all

M

[quote name='Hamster' post='1040353' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:49 PM']So, every penny raised - [u][b]£535[/b][/u] - goes to charity! - I'm very pleased!, and well done to all who chipped in and contributed to an enjoyable day in numerous ways!

Colin[/quote]

Superb achievement. Well done everybody.

Finally had chance to post. Stayed at Weybridge the night and travelled back up to snowy Derbyshire this evening.

It was great to put faces to so many names and it's a great result with all the money going to charity. Highlight for me was Urb's clinic, great sounding Sei he has as well.
Many thanks to all who contrbuted to getting this bash set up and all who provided clinics. Well worth the trip from Derbyshire.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1040607' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:33 PM']Finally had chance to post. Stayed at Weybridge the night and travelled back up to snowy Derbyshire this evening.

It was great to put faces to so many names and it's a great result with all the money going to charity. Highlight for me was Urb's clinic, great sounding Sei he has as well.
Many thanks to all who contrbuted to getting this bash set up and all who provided clinics. Well worth the trip from Derbyshire.[/quote]
sh*t man, I didn't even know you were there! It would have been so nice to say hello. I was in urb's clinic too.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='51m0n' post='1040647' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:04 AM']:)

Looks like there may be one in your signature already??[/quote]
Why do you think it's for sale? Already have enough people shouting "that's bollox" at me before they even see my amp has one compressor knob .... :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='51m0n' post='1040633' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:53 PM']Fantastic news about the money all going to charity.

So when will we do the next one?[/quote]
Next September; 3rd or 4th weekend of the month! Just need to set a date for the venue with Hamster...then announce it in Jan 2011 so we can all get it in our diaries nice and early!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1040645' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:57 PM']When we have all traded on our amps with one compressor knob :)[/quote]
I wish I'd have been at the compressor thing with 51m0n :)

The POD X3 has compressor, two controls - Threshold and Gain. The gain is pretty pointless as far as I've found, but the Threshold is very useful. With Kit's band it's very low and with Krupa it's quite high. It depends on the music I'm playing, Kit requires a LOT of dynamics so I use very little compression. Threshhold is all I need.

In the studio, it gets more complicated. Live you need only one knob, IMHO.

I'm assuming 51m0n said something similar?

[quote name='silddx' post='1040652' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:08 AM']I wish I'd have been at the compressor thing with 51m0n :)

The POD X3 has compressor, two controls - Threshold and Gain. The gain is pretty pointless as far as I've found, but the Threshold is very useful. With Kit's band it's very low and with Krupa it's quite high. It depends on the music I'm playing, Kit requires a LOT of dynamics so I use very little compression. Threshhold is all I need.

In the studio, it gets more complicated. Live you need only one knob, IMHO.

I'm assuming 51m0n said something similar?[/quote]

Errr no....

I said (and you may have noticed a reference to it once or twice already in this very thread) a compressor with only one knob, (and anything with no metering at all, is complete and utter b*ll*x :)

I stand by that too, anything where you dont have the metering to see what it does, and the controls to tailor it to the envelope of the sound your bass, with your strings, you playing it, your fx, etc etc etc is only useful if you are lucky, and even then will only ever be a one trick pony. That trick having been designed more to make an easy sale of the amp for non-technical staff in guiatr shops than to actually enable you to get the best from the amp, whilst also beiung so completely generic as to be flawed nearly always.

I may have reiterated this more than once in fact....

Without decent metering (ie input, output AND gain reduction) you cannot really tell when compresison is happening - its inherently hard to hear, unless it is set up to be so incredibly in your face that it is in fact crushing the life out of your dynamics (as much a result of stupidly fast attack times, and or stupidly long release times as the ratio and threshold).

With decent metering you can quite easily set a 'best guess' ratio (say 3:1 for starters), longish attack, medium release, then bring the threshold down until you get significant (but not overpowering) levels of gain reduction (lets say an average of 3-6dB, with the occasional real peak at 9dB). Then take the gain up to unity with the makeup gain. The play with the attack to make it effect the attack of your bass sound in the way you wish (either loping it off of accentuating it) then you can tweak the release to fit the music you are playing. Then fine tune the ratio, threshold and makeup gain. Yes it takes about 5 minutes, yes it is iterative, yes it is a bit of a dark art (but no where near as bad as you might think after a couple of goes).

You need to keep in mind that there are different ways to achieve the same amount of compression, either a low threshold (ie compression starts sooner) and a very low ratio, or a much higher ration and a higher threshold. Although these two strategies produce the same amount of gain reduction they can be very different in how they actually sound. You need to have the controls available and take the time to try both ways to see what workd best for you.

Ask Silverfoxnik how having his DBX set up 'just so' worked out for him on the gig he had that evening, and it only took a few minutes to get it right. Thing is it really does have decent metering and all the controls you need. Sounded pretty fab to me when we were getting the settings together on it. I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a compressor for bass.

I also doubt that the gain in your POD is useless, I'm pretty sure it would be a makeup gain, and if you dont find you need it then the chances are that you arent really doing any compression at all. Having said that I haven't played with that particular device before so I may be wrong as to exactly what the relationship is between the two in that case.

(Plus you cant underestimate the importance of more lights and meters on your rig, it helps you see where the one is, and we all know how important that is!)

Sorry for the long explanation Nigel, just consider yourself lucky you didnt sit through the full works on Saturday, I think some people clearly wished they had made your choice too :lol:

Had a most excellent time on Saturday. The day went far too quick though.

Special thanks to Johnny Lager for having a look at my Rockbass Vampyre and making it much more playable.

Really properly enjoyed myself and can't wait for the next one.

Sadly, I discussed the day and how important decent compression is with my boss this morning, so something must have sunk in.

Many thanks to all, particularly those who presented for such a great day.

Mike

[quote name='51m0n' post='1040868' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:04 AM']Errr no....

I said (and you may have noticed a reference to it once or twice already in this very thread) a compressor with only one knob, (and anything with no metering at all, is complete and utter b*ll*x :)

I stand by that too, anything where you dont have the metering to see what it does, and the controls to tailor it to the envelope of the sound your bass, with your strings, you playing it, your fx, etc etc etc is only useful if you are lucky, and even then will only ever be a one trick pony. That trick having been designed more to make an easy sale of the amp for non-technical staff in guiatr shops than to actually enable you to get the best from the amp, whilst also beiung so completely generic as to be flawed nearly always.

Without decent metering (ie input, output AND gain reduction) you cannot really tell when compresison is happening - its inherently hard to hear, unless it is set up to be so incredibly in your face that it is in fact crushing the life out of your dynamics (as much a result of stupidly fast attack times, and or stupidly long release times as the ratio and threshold).

With decent metering you can quite easily set a 'best guess' ratio (say 3:1 for starters), longish attack, medium release, then bring the threshold down until you get significant (but not overpowering) levels of gain reduction (lets say an average of 3-6dB, with the occasional real peak at 9dB). Then take the gain up to unity with the makeup gain. The play with the attack to make it effect the attack of your bass sound in the way you wish (either loping it off of accentuating it) then you can tweak the release to fit the music you are playing. Then fine tune the ratio, threshold and makeup gain. Yes it takes about 5 minutes, yes it is iterative, yes it is a bit of a dark art (but no where near as bad as you might think after a couple of goes).

You need to keep in mind that there are different ways to achieve the same amount of compression, either a low threshold (ie compression starts sooner) and a very low ratio, or a much higher ration and a higher threshold. Although these two strategies produce the same amount of gain reduction they can be very different in how they actually sound. You need to have the controls available and take the time to try both ways to see what workd best for you.

Ask Silverfoxnik how having his DBX set up 'just so' worked out for him on the gig he had that evening, and it only took a few minutes to get it right. Thing is it really does have decent metering and all the controls you need. Sounded pretty fab to me when we were getting the settings together on it. I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a compressor for bass.

I also doubt that the gain in your POD is useless, I'm pretty sure it would be a makeup gain, and if you dont find you need it then the chances are that you arent really doing any compression at all. Having said that I haven't played with that particular device before so I may be wrong as to exactly what the relationship is between the two in that case.

(Plus you cant underestimate the importance of more lights and meters on your rig, it helps you see where the one is, and we all know how important that is!)

Sorry for the long explanation Nigel, just consider yourself lucky you didnt sit through the full works on Saturday, I think some people clearly wished they had made your choice too :)[/quote]
I was only winding you up, mate :lol:

Thanks for the explanation though. I have to use my ears for compression, and if it sounds right to me, then it's right. It's in the studio where I tend to leave it alone. Mind you, the Krupa album is mostly my POD compressor, the engineer thought it sounded really good. And he had some really nice old studio compressors.

[quote name='silddx' post='1040920' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:55 AM'][b]I was only winding you up, mate :) [/b]

Thanks for the explanation though. I have to use my ears for compression, and if it sounds right to me, then it's right. It's in the studio where I tend to leave it alone. Mind you, the Krupa album is mostly my POD compressor, the engineer thought it sounded really good. And he had some really nice old studio compressors.[/quote]

[size=5]B*ST**D!!! :)[/size]

The compressor in the Pod Pro rack jobbie is fine mate (we have one oin the studio), and pretty decently tweakable too IIRC.

Not surprised the engineer digs it - perfect recall is a blessing at all times (that I sadly cant say I'm equipt with!).

Sorry for the long explanation Nigel, just consider yourself lucky you didnt sit through the full works on Saturday, I think some people clearly wished they had made your choice too :lol:[/quote]
Bollox, all bollox! :)

Sorry for the long explanation Nigel, just consider yourself lucky you didnt sit through the full works on Saturday, I think some people clearly wished they had made your choice too :lol:[/quote]
Bollox, all bollox! :)