Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash Year 4, Surrey, 27th November 2010

silverfoxnik

Thanks to nicotine and all. Had a great time, met some monster players and got to a/b some very different gear. Managed to leave relatively gas free (phew). Highlight for me was a/bing my rh450 and rs210 with krakens rig. Remarkably close, you could hear a difference obviously but it was close :)

Can also add that we are still trying to meet numbers for the ea bassbash :)

And finally RIP oldgit and thanks for all your efforts nik

[quote name='Clarky' post='1039049' date='Nov 27 2010, 05:52 PM']A huge thanks to Nik, Colin and co for working so hard to set this up and to those who gave teach-ins (compression was never so entertaining!). A good time was had by all! And as I understand a decent amount of money was raised for some worthwhile causes. RIP Old Git[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better. Well said. What a great pleasure it was to meet some old friends and make some new ones.

[quote name='Sean' post='1038582' date='Nov 27 2010, 09:23 AM']Sorry, chaps. After having been packed and ready last night, something's come up and I'm going to have to bail out last minute today. Have fun and I look forward to the photos.

Please could you add my Drums on Demand Vol 1 drum tracks to the raffle. I'll post it to the winner. These are gear real drum loops in 24 bit WAV format. See drumsondemand.com. They come in at around £30.[/quote]
Hi Folks

Sean - sorry but i didn't see your post until this morning! Please could we offer your donation to Simon1964 if he'd be interested in it as he did have a winning ticket but there wasn't a prize we knew he wanted..? So, I had a gig last night after the Bash and it a real joy as a result of 5im0n sorting out my DBX compressor for me - had an absolutely awesome sound at long last! Thanks mate.. :)

And thanks not only to Si, but also Mr Lager, Urb and Alex for their workshops too. They were all brilliant and this comment below says everything to me about them.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1039251' date='Nov 27 2010, 08:20 PM']Huge thanks to the organisers - I believe my steep learning curve just got a little shallower thanks to the workshops. Great stuff - look forward to the next![/quote]

Next year, I wonder if we should hold the workshops in a manner where people actually have a bass with them, so they are slightly more interactive?

Thanks also to Hamster (Colin) for dealing with all the financials and Mrs Hamster (Sarah) for all their hard work in terms of the venue & refreshments etc! Plus thanks to WalMan, Kraken etc all the others who helped get set-up in the morning.. In terms of the 'beyond the call of duty' awards, I've got to mention Born2Mild (Phil) for travelling all the way from the frozen North to be there and of course, Happy Jack for being there despite his injury/operation & Paul for coming to do the drums for us..!

I've got some photos and when I've worked out how to get my Blackberry working with my computer again, I'll upload them.

Thanks to all who came and to those who donated to the Raffle, which has helped raise money for good causes - especially ones that mean something to Old Git and his family!

As has already been said, RIP Si!

I am beginning to question why I always go away this time of year - I've missed three years worth of SE bashes now!

Still - I guess sitting on a beach in the Caribbean whilst it's cold and snowy at home does make up for it a little :)

Actually if BA flew here any day other than Saturday I'd have delayed my trip just to be there - but don't tell the wife, lol . . .

[quote name='urb' post='1039813' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:13 PM']Hey - we want more pics![/quote]Your wish is my command :)

My first bass bash and i really enjoyed it,a great day..i also wish to add many,many thanks to the organisers and teachers,who did a great job.
AND all who brought their collection of basses,very nice indeed.

Some pics

Edited by bassmanady

Ahh, what a lovely day! A great way of honouring Old Git, who was a very witty, extremely knowlegeable, helpful and friendly guy - all of which characteristics were greatly in evidence at the BASH yesterday. Very heartwarming :)

As usual there is so little time to do everything one wishes, which for me is mostly talking :) I tried the basses and rig of Cetera though, and boi, does he have a wonderful red Spector Euro! Thanks Gary!

The two workshops I was at were really useful and interesting, thanks Johnny Lager and urb. The jam room was great fun, we made some interesting music in there, I really enjoyed it! Thanks so much to Paul S for the lend of the Fender guitar amp, and thanks to Thunderbird 13 for the lend of the Sightreading for Bass book and the Rush bass transcriptions, you're both verk kind.

I didn't talk to as many people as I would have liked and as always, come away feeling guilty, not having done what I said I would do due to lack of time and a very inefficient memory (I forgot my bloody camera aswell :D Sorry to Bottle for forgetting to lend you those clippers for your strings (think you got it sorted though), Robocorpse for not trying your Ricks, Born2BMild (I really wanted to try the Zons and Foderas), and Nik, Mac, Clarky and many others who I didn't talk to as much as I would have liked. Really nice talking to some new faces aswell though.

Thanks to Nik, Sarah, Colin, Jack and Paul and the workshop dudes for a great day :lol:

Nigel

Edited by silddx

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1039377' date='Nov 27 2010, 10:17 PM'][attachment=65158:IMG_4622.JPG][/quote]
Aaaaaah....my babies.

Good day as ever chaps and good to meet up with everyone again. Hope my gently snoring in s1m0n's talk didn't put anyone off.....not I hasten to add because it was boring, far from it, I was just starting to feel my age & the previous nights gig!!!

Thanks to all who arranged it again. A good day.

And finally thanks to Colin for wandering round with me at the end of the day ringing my phone, and everyone for not running it over in the carpark where we eventually found it. DO'H!

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1039906' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:51 PM'][attachment=65234:IMG_4643.JPG]S1m0n & Silverfoxnik
[attachment=65226:IMG_4638.JPG]L-R Clarky, ?, Cetera, Bassman Ady, Pete Young
Don't ask![attachment=65229:IMG_4640.JPG]Our newest member who just joined & went straight to trying to sell stuff :)[/quote]

[quote name='bassmanady' post='1039898' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:37 PM']Your wish is my command :)

My first bass bash and i really enjoyed it,a great day..i also wish to add many,many thanks to the organisers and teachers,who did a great job.
AND all who brought their collection of basses,very nice indeed.

Some pics[/quote]

That's one of the nicest pics of my bass I've seen!

Had a great time as always, and as always didn't get to do everything I wanted or to chat to as many people as I would have liked - but that's what the next Bash is for!

The organisation is fantastic. Been able to wind a rig up in the 'loud room', play with a drummer and guitarist in the 'jam room', and try out gear in the 'quiet room' and worshops in the theatre, great gear and great people.

Mucho thanks to Clarky for the lift, and to Urb for my impromptue lesson in slapping! :)

My thanks too to the organisers and workshop guys. How much did we raise?

BTW I still don't understand compressors, but now thanks to s1m0n I don't understand them in a far more scientific way :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1040290' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:06 PM']BTW I still don't understand compressors, but now thanks to s1m0n I don't understand them in a far more scientific way :)[/quote]

Main thing to remember is..........if you have a one knob compressor on your amp it's "b*ll*x"!

I had an enjoyable day too - although I was pretty tired by 6pm!

Here's the final score on the doors:

Entry money - £370
Raffle - £135.35
Tea, coffee & cakes - £29.50

Profit = £534.85

Cost of venue hire - £230

Clear profit to charity = £305

This will be split between The Kambia Appeal (kambia.org.uk) - supporting a hospital in Sierra Leone (Si did his thing on their last web site), and,
The Samaritans (samaritans.org)

The school principle - Gareth Balch, is very kindly donating the venue hire fee to the school's adopted charity, -
The African Childrens Choir - [url="http://africanchildrenschoir.com/"]http://africanchildrenschoir.com/[/url]

So, every penny raised - [u][b]£535[/b][/u] - goes to charity! - I'm very pleased!, and well done to all who chipped in and contributed to an enjoyable day in numerous ways!

Colin

[quote name='Hamster' post='1040353' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:49 PM']I had an enjoyable day too - although I was pretty tired by 6pm!

Here's the final score on the doors:

Entry money - £370
Raffle - £135.35
Tea, coffee & cakes - £29.50

Profit = £534.85

Cost of venue hire - £230

Clear profit to charity = £305

This will be split between The Kambia Appeal (kambia.org.uk) - supporting a hospital in Sierra Leone (Si did his thing on their last web site), and,
The Samaritans (samaritans.org)

The school principle - Gareth Balch, is very kindly donating the venue hire fee to the school's adopted charity, -
The African Childrens Choir - [url="http://africanchildrenschoir.com/"]http://africanchildrenschoir.com/[/url]

So, every penny raised - [u][b]£535[/b][/u] - goes to charity! - I'm very pleased!, and well done to all who chipped in and contributed to an enjoyable day in numerous ways!

Colin[/quote]
That's fantastic! Great stuff, Colin :)