Why become a member? ×

Horrible Basses

I don't expect everyone to suddenly go out and buy a Gus. What I would like to see is an awareness of basses that haven't been designed by Leo Fender. One of the reasons why I got into music in the first place was as a way of expressing my individuality. Being a musician in the 70s meant that you weren't like everybody else.

At least I know what they are called now BigredX! But Im sorry for me its still them.
I am aware of lots of other none Leo designed basses but I would not go out of my way to own and play something different just to annoy Leo.If you like em good on ya but I did not buy Leo basses because of him it was a progression through other makes and models and I ended up with His ones because to me they do what I want, Feel great to play and sound really good too.The fact I like how they look is just the cherry on top.A lot of people slag off the original Stingray (and a lot love them too like me) but look how quick it got into the music scene mainly in disco bearing in mind it was a small company and only came out in 1976 and then into other genres too and still going strong, There is a reason for these things you know.The fact that keeps coming up is Leo knew what he was doing and between the P and the Jazz the basic needs are all sorted after that like the Ray its all about fine tuning which the Allevas.Sadowskys and the like are still doing to this day.The Ray has stood out a little because of the active preamp thing but the basic P bass design was good to carry on to hold it all together.

[b]Making weird basses to be different is good, Making them just to be different to Leo's is sad![/b]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='BigRedX' post='953192' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:51 PM']I don't expect everyone to suddenly go out and buy a Gus. What I would like to see is an awareness of basses that haven't been designed by Leo Fender. One of the reasons why I got into music in the first place was as a way of expressing my individuality. Being a musician in the 70s meant that you weren't like everybody else.[/quote]

So if everybody did suddenly go out and buy a Gus, what basses would you have to start playing? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='952712' date='Sep 11 2010, 01:52 PM']Yes that must be why its called "The sweet spot" and copied by everyone else? And why they have never managed to sell many instruments! :)[/quote]
Come on Sterling. You're not fooling anyone! Back to yer own forum! :rolleyes:

Err... I don't really [i]hate[/i] any basses. Some appeal to me more than others, but if it sounds good and plays well, then it IS good. Aesthetics are a secondary consideration.
That bloody Warwick upside-down-Explorer-with-the-wrong-headstock abomination should be erased from history, though!
Gold hardware is no good for me- Sweat will turn it green in a month's worth of gigging. And it's too [b]bling[/b] for my taste.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='954206' date='Sep 12 2010, 11:21 PM']Gold hardware is no good for me- Sweat will turn it green in a month's worth of gigging. And it's too [b]bling[/b] for my taste.[/quote]

Yeah it's stuff like gold hardware and figured tops and especially - my pet hate - translucent teal finishes over figured maple with gold hardware, they are all a bit "new money".

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='952712' date='Sep 11 2010, 01:52 PM']Yes that must be why its called "The sweet spot" and copied by everyone else? And why they have never managed to sell many instruments! :)[/quote]

Indeed, if you've only got one pickup that is the place to put it! A brilliant balance of thump from the neck end and burp fom the bridge end! If only they could sort out the volume on those G strings!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Musicman20' post='954382' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:20 AM']How can anyone dislike this:

[url="http://www.bovinehost.com/currentbasses/BigAl5/bigal5.htm"]http://www.bovinehost.com/currentbasses/BigAl5/bigal5.htm[/url]

:)[/quote]
Sorry Gareth, we have generally similar tastes but Big Als is where we part ways. Looks like a hastily cobbled cartoon bass from the Jetsons

[attachment=58668:_42369477_jetsons.jpg]

There are also some design features on modern basses that I really don't like:

Neck-through basses with figured tops where the top wood doesn't cover the neck-through part. WHY?

Basses with figured tops where the wood at the back is something so characterless and bland that you wouldn't even consider it for fake laminate flooring, so why is it on an otherwise fantastic looking bass?

Basses where the top wood has been colour stained but the back is natural (normally the colour used is blue which IMO is the worst looking when paired with natural light coloured wood).

[quote name='BigRedX' post='954410' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:41 AM']There are also some design features on modern basses that I really don't like:

Neck-through basses with figured tops where the top wood doesn't cover the neck-through part. WHY?[/quote]
Because, having paid more fore a thru-neck, some owners want some visible evidence that says "Hey, I've got a thru-neck"
The only major manufacturers I can think of that conceal their neck-thru behind body faces are Warwick and som Status models.
[quote]Basses with figured tops where the wood at the back is something so characterless and bland that you wouldn't even consider it for fake laminate flooring, so why is it on an otherwise fantastic looking bass?[/quote]
1. It's at the back?
2. Some genuinely good tonewoods (Alder, Poplar, Mahogany etc.) aren't as attractive as Maple, Zebrano, Cocobolo and so on. If someone wants to blend the tonal qualities of, say, Alder and Maple, it makes aesthetic sense to put the prettier one on top. Making sandwiched bodies is all very well, but more expensive. Also, you end up with stripes through the body (see above complaint about stripey necks) I suppose you could take a wood like Cedar and wrap it in carbon fibre instead :rolleyes:

[quote]Basses where the top wood has been colour stained but the back is natural (normally the colour used is blue which IMO is the worst looking when paired with natural light coloured wood).[/quote]
So no Maple fretboard on your Lake Placid Blue Jazz with matching Headstock, then? Personally I crave something in solid gloss Canary Yellow with matching headstock, black hardware and an Ebony or Black Phenolic fretboard... :)

Edited by Lfalex v1.1