Why become a member? ×

Horrible Basses

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='951747' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:50 PM']Most Warwicks, most headless basses, most coffee-table-top basses, most Yamahas.[/quote]

Agreed, although some Yamahas do appeal to me.
(And I do have a Hohner B2A too - oops!)

Add to the list :-

Anything by Status / Warwick / Alembic / Jaydee / Overwater etc.
Some 70's period Fenders now masquerading as vintage/cool (despite being heavy ugly& thrown together)
Jazz basses with block inlays - wrong!
LED's on fingerboards.
Anything with too many knobs/switches or sharp bits.
Anything with too many strings for me to manage (clue- I'm struggling with 4)
Anything that hits the floor when you let go of the neck - whats that about?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='951162' date='Sep 9 2010, 09:50 PM']Well,some hate headless. Some hate pointy basses. Some hate Fenders.

Me? Two of the basses that irritate me are : Warwick NobbyMeidel Headless bass.(Just plain ugly,and the worst headless bass I've seen)
Hofner 'Beatles' bass. (just looks boring ,and apart from 6o's tribute bands,who else uses them?)

Let's see what you all love to hate :)[/quote]
Musicy Mongrels with ROATED TOASTED & BOASTED Necks.............Loadash*te.......scientificaly non proven pants....YO STERLY BABY......GO SUE MY ARSE!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='951971' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:23 PM']I'll add to the list anything which has been sloppily modded or made to look "punk". This includes stickers, garish paint jobs, dodgy scratch plates along with the woeful playing associated with these types of instrument. And hollowbodies, yuck.[/quote]

That'll teach Wayne to pick on Kubickis?

I would like to see your Sabre though (SABRE BASS! YOU ARE ALL FILTHY!), sounds interesting.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='951971' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:23 PM']I'll add to the list anything which has been sloppily modded or made to look "punk". This includes stickers, garish paint jobs, dodgy scratch plates along with the woeful playing associated with these types of instrument. And hollowbodies, yuck.[/quote]
:)

I'm a fan of the Kubickis, I'd love one! In white of course.

[quote name='silddx' post='951992' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:49 PM']:)

I'm a fan of the Kubickis, I'd love one! In white of course.[/quote]

Funny you should say that, I used to have a white one! 1989 with the 18V six postion preamp. One of the few "cross over" basses made with the original preamp but with the Fender custom shop stamp on the headstock. This was #1777.

As for the Sabre special...

[quote name='Rich' post='951684' date='Sep 10 2010, 10:46 AM']My pass-the-bucket list of shame:
- That stupid Warwick Reverso abomination.
- Alembic Dragon's Wing.
- Big AL
- Bongo
- Everything made by [url="http://www.loewenherzbass.com/english/models.html"]these people[/url] and [url="http://www.dipintoguitars.com/category.php?id=2"]these people[/url].
- Much of BC Rich's output.
- Sparkly Italias etc.

Rich (refusing to 'justify' my 'coffee table' bass to anyone) :)[/quote]
Oh a big plus one to all of that as well. The Big Al I really don't understand...its worse than the Modulus Vertex

[quote name='Balcro' post='951272' date='Sep 9 2010, 11:19 PM']It's got to be a MusicMan. Why design a stringed instrument and put the pickup in the wrong place? One pickup placed close to a string anchorage point where the vibration is minimal! Huh.... and as for that tear-drop pick guard. Looks like product differentiation for the sake of it.

Balcro.[/quote]
Yes that must be why its called "The sweet spot" and copied by everyone else? And why they have never managed to sell many instruments! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='951246' date='Sep 9 2010, 11:02 PM']Fender (especially if it's shabby looking), Fender copies, Musicman, Warwick. All horrible.[/quote]
Its lucky we are not all the same but I have seen them things you have on your other posts BigredX but have no idea what they are? But whatever they are Im going to say them! Sorry no offence....... :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Well, I'd agree with you, Pete, but alot of the basses on Big Red's Weird and Wonderful bass thread just have a little bit of magic and individuality that I find quite endearing. I find it impossible to 'hate' something that has clearly had a lot of thought, vision and man hours put into it.

Truckstop

Oh I can see the effort thats gone in dont get me wrong,But I would not want to be seen playing one at a gig. Totally personal taste thing thats all. I think every make and model is in this thread somewhere thats life.You dont have to like something just because someone has put effort into it in fact you dont have to like anything at all just because someone says you do.

Horses for courses and all that........

[quote name='Truckstop' post='952718' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:01 PM']Well, I'd agree with you, Pete, but alot of the basses on Big Red's Weird and Wonderful bass thread just have a little bit of magic and individuality that I find quite endearing. I find it impossible to 'hate' something that has clearly had a lot of thought, vision and man hours put into it.

Truckstop[/quote]

I agree a lot have thought has gone into them but in the case of the Gus' I'm worried about what kind of thought and whether you should bring that kind of thought to work with you.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='952827' date='Sep 11 2010, 03:44 PM']I agree a lot have thought has gone into them but in the case of the Gus' I'm worried about what kind of thought and whether you should bring that kind of thought to work with you.[/quote]
:)

TBH, I'm a bit tired of the counter arguments that go "Everyone's different, we all have opinions, if we were all the same it would be boring", yadayadayada. What's wrong with healthy disagreement and slagging of some stuff.