Why become a member? ×

Horrible Basses

[quote name='BigRedX' post='954410' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:41 AM']There are also some design features on modern basses that I really don't like:

Neck-through basses with figured tops where the top wood doesn't cover the neck-through part. WHY?[/quote]

I quite like that, it reminds me of the old Tobias basses i have a soft spot for. Indeed one of the reasons i liked my Zoot was because it looked like that

I don't like really fancy wood tops but i do appreciate a nice simple bit of well-executed craftmanship. I guess exposed neck-through basses and ebony stringers etc are a sign of good workmanship and joinery

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='955137' date='Sep 13 2010, 06:07 PM']The only major manufacturers I can think of that conceal their neck-thru behind body faces are Warwick and som Status models.[/quote]

Not all Warwicks. I love the look of the '80s Streamers with the [url="http://media.photobucket.com/image/warwick%20streamer%201990%20fretless/rehanceral/1221338805.jpg"]darker stripes[/url]. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='955942' date='Sep 14 2010, 01:09 PM']Warwick's.

Just can't get myself to forgive them for making Status break the moulds for the awesome Status Entwhistle Buzzard.[/quote]
+1

I just look at the Warwick efforts, and firstly you get a crappy Warwick head instead of the glorious Buzzard 'beak', and then it also appears that you're lumped with inferior electronics too! To me, those two things just destroy the character of the Buzzard.

Back on topic - I just cannot find love for a Stingray 5, in particular the way the scratchplate distorts from the glorious teardrop design from the Stingray 4.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='954385' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:22 AM']The "sweet spot" is a complete waste of time. To make it work the pickup would have to move every time you held a string down at a different fret to compensate.[/quote]

Well you Sir have just totally contradicted yourself? How can you say its in the wrong place if you also say there is no such thing as a right place!? :)

[quote name='silddx' post='951530' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:46 AM']Anything with more than four strings, big ugly single cuts, any Burns bass. And someone mentioned the Warwick Nobby Headless - it is indeed one of the most ridiculous looking things in the world.

EDIT: I forgot Pedulla, a horrible, horrible cartoon of a bass design.[/quote]
+1 i agree with all of these apart from the pedulla...incredible fretless...

[quote name='silddx' post='952834' date='Sep 11 2010, 03:49 PM']:)

TBH, I'm a bit tired of the counter arguments that go "Everyone's different, we all have opinions, if we were all the same it would be boring", yadayadayada. What's wrong with healthy disagreement and slagging of some stuff.[/quote]
Ha..i didnt mean to pull 2 posts of yours silddx but i was looking through and that did make me laugh...!

im not one for hating basses because i can get used to most and personally wouldnt want to offend ... but could imagine, in only but one way i may like this bass..is the tone.....the rest i would poss not get on with..... looks, string capacity, looks, weight, and the fact that it looks like something Merlin played and then traded it to King Arthur,then he couldnt get on with it and traded it to Gollum..he couldnt get on with it for obvious reasons..

imagine taking this to a rehearsal...

i guess its a studio or showroom piece...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Johngh' post='955942' date='Sep 14 2010, 01:09 PM']Warwick's.

Just can't get myself to forgive them for making Status break the moulds for the awesome Status Entwhistle Buzzard.[/quote]

Ah, you know that story, too.
'Tis a sad tale. A bit naughty on Warwick's part, methinks.
Still, I have bought a Status to compensate for the Warwicks I own...
And GAS dictates that another [i]will[/i] follow!

I don't like anything pointy, can't stand ESP or Ibanez and I've never really taken to P basses. With Ps, they work well, but every one I've played has always left me feeling a bit cold, and I've never really taken to the looks. It's hard to make a P sound bad, but a J will produce a wider variety of sounds, and I prefer the feel of them too.

Favourite basses? Well I love our Wal to bits, and although I'm not the biggest fan of Warwicks, I love my pair of Corvettes, and I'd happily have a Thumb too. Don't like the pointy ones or the Streamers though.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='956485' date='Sep 14 2010, 08:15 PM']Ah, you know that story, too.
'Tis a sad tale. A bit naughty on Warwick's part, methinks.
Still, I have bought a Status to compensate for the Warwicks I own...
And GAS dictates that another [i]will[/i] follow![/quote]

I had the good fortune to play one of Entwhisle's Status Buzzards at the Status factory. Rob Green was going to deliver it to John the next day. They looked just awesome in that graphite weave.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='956320' date='Sep 14 2010, 06:11 PM']imagine taking this to a rehearsal...

i guess its a studio or showroom piece...[/quote]

Err....

That bass was a gift to Jean from a number of luthiers and was contributed and as it happens, I think it'd be right up his street! When you've had a bass gifted to you from the bass building elite, do let us know...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='959051' date='Sep 17 2010, 03:18 AM']Err....

That bass was a gift to Jean from a number of luthiers and was contributed and as it happens, I think it'd be right up his street! When you've had a bass gifted to you from the bass building elite, do let us know...[/quote]

Did they get blind folded before they made it?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='959449' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:03 PM']Did they get blind folded before they made it?[/quote]
And afterwards, I would think :) If you had made that thing would you want to look at it, or would you want anyone else to for that matter?

Who's "Jean" anyway? And why would she want something that looks like it evolved at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?

[quote name='silddx' post='959491' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:25 PM']Who's "Jean" anyway? And why would she want something that looks like it evolved at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?[/quote]

That would be Jean Baudin of Nuclear Rabbit. I hate NR but he's done some alright solo stuff (cue brief youtube fame when he did the Mario theme tune on his Joust bass a couple of years ago). I guess you could say he has eclectic taste in basses. I don't like the look of it, but to be given a bass in that manner is pretty cool.

[quote name='silddx' post='959491' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:25 PM']And afterwards, I would think :) If you had made that thing would you want to look at it, or would you want anyone else to for that matter?

Who's "Jean" anyway? And why would she want something that looks like it evolved at the bottom of the Mariana Trench?[/quote]

To be honest I think a mercy killing of that 'bass' should take place.