Why become a member? ×

3-tone sunburst Fenders just sound better: Discuss

Beedster

[quote name='Clarky' post='949828' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:23 PM']Any bass made in the Year of Clarky ('63) will sound superior. Fact[/quote]

I'd like to believe this Clarky but I think the real reason is because we all have a guy-crush on Chris! :wub: :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='949934' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:38 PM']The three different paints in 3TSB are slightly different densities. The gradiation from the center of of the body to the edge allows the body to vibrate in a much 'rounder' fashion than a single colour body.[/quote]

Why of course that explains Fender's justification for using a longer intonation screw on the early basses... it all makes sense now!

[quote name='BassBod' post='949787' date='Sep 8 2010, 07:27 PM']F*&% Yeeaahh!![/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' post='949793' date='Sep 8 2010, 07:33 PM']Gotta agree, out of my 3 American Precisions, the sunburst sounds the best.[/quote]

[quote name='Heathy' post='949812' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:04 PM']Agreed. I bought two american standard jazz basses in 2004, one 3tsb one black. The black one has done two gigs.[/quote]

Exactly, 3 out of 3 bass players agree :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='949814' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:07 PM']Not enough points to sustain any real tone :o[/quote]

What about a 3tsb BC Rich?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='949816' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:09 PM']So that'll be why you sold me the white one. ;)[/quote]

It's why I sold all my white ones Dave!

[quote name='Clarky' post='949828' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:23 PM']Any bass made in the Year of Clarky ('63) will sound superior. Fact[/quote]

I hear there's a major gas leak in Hammersmith this morning Clarky :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sean' post='949832' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:27 PM']I'd like to believe this Clarky but I think the real reason is because we all have a guy-crush on Chris! :wub: :o[/quote]

Easy Sean (what is going on with you avatars by the way?)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='949846' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:37 PM']The nicer wood was picked out for the transparent sunburst finishes, so might be something in it if you are into that, more likely to be fewer bits of wood glued together etc.[/quote]

Could there be some truth in that.....?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='949889' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:16 PM']Wayne will be along any minute now to refute that theory! :P[/quote]

He's somewhat off the pace isn't he?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='949934' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:38 PM']The three different paints in 3TSB are slightly different densities. The gradiation from the center of of the body to the edge allows the body to vibrate in a much 'rounder' fashion than a single colour body.[/quote]

:lol:

I know it's a seemingly daft thread, but to my mind there's something about 3tsb basses. OK, most likely, as it was the most prominent colour when I was growing up, it's just become part of the vintage Fender mystique for me, and I'm letting that cloud my judgement. It might also be that there's probably a lot more 3tsb Fenders out there (certainly true of vintage instruments), so that, by the law of averages, if 50% of all Fenders are good, there'll be more good 3tsb basses in total out there than other colours. Could also be something in the paint but that seems unlikely, and if it was the fact that they kept the better woods for the transparent finishes, surely I'd have found the same rule holds true for blonde, natural etc (although perhaps there's just fewer of these and I haven't come across good ones)?

But, I dunno, 3tsb always seem just that little bit better?

C