Why become a member? ×

Bass l.e.d's

Mikeg

[quote name='Mikeg' post='944929' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:49 PM']is there anyway you can get l.e.d's put in a bass?
if so how much. shiiiiiiiiiiiiny[/quote]

Martin Simms [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/00leds.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/00leds.htm[/url] can retrofit LEDs to your bass - or sells bass necks that you can fit to your own Bass body with LEDs already installed.

OR - you can have a Bass made and some Luthiers, including the awesome Jon Shuker can do this as part of the design :)

Here's my beloved with my signature doodle:

Sims will do them as a retro fit as posted above...

I think they are a bit, well, you know...but I must admit to using them and needing to use them from time to time.
You only need them top lit in dark light sequences... looks waaaaaay too chummy otherwise and use up a lot of batt power, IME.

[quote name='dood' post='944951' date='Sep 3 2010, 09:10 PM']Here's my beloved with my signature doodle:

[/quote]

I've probably seen more pictures of your bass than anybody else's and never knew it had LEDs in it!

No offense (to anybody - I know a lot of the Status-owning Mark King fans on here have LEDs fitted) but I think they're really tacky. A bit like fitting UV underlights to your mum's old Saxo.

[quote name='obbm' post='945151' date='Sep 4 2010, 07:54 AM']If you order a Carbon-Fibre replacement neck for a P, J, Ray or Ray 5 from Status you can specify front, side or both LEDs. Quite expensive though.

Recently heard that Simms had put their prices up to go-away values.[/quote]

I'm a massive led fan, and have them fitted by Martin Sims to all of new gigging basses I buy (although I am hesitating at fitting them to the Wal I got the other day because so many people have said I would be mad to do it........).

I only have top leds so I can see thm on a dark stage, and Martin does a good job. He has put his prices up recently, but to be fair, they have been the same for years, so no arguments there.

Bob

Two-colour LEDs anyone?

Only problem is they're in the wrong place! Some muppet ordered a custom shop fretless with the dots and lights in the places they'd be on a fretted. Which is probably why they sold it and I was able to pick it up fairly cheaply.

[quote name='dood' post='944951' date='Sep 3 2010, 09:10 PM']....Here's my beloved with my signature doodle:

[/quote]

Those lights look fantastic! All the other basses I've seen with LEDs have either been very utilitarian, or very tacky. This manages to be neither.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='945377' date='Sep 4 2010, 01:23 PM']Has anybody had LEDs put in a neck by these guys?

[url="http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/"]http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

After buying a backlit pbass scratchplate from em I wouldnt touch em with a bargepole.

They were shocked there wasnt room for a battery in a std pbass body...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='945126' date='Sep 4 2010, 01:46 AM']I've probably seen more pictures of your bass than anybody else's and never knew it had LEDs in it![/quote]

Funnily - I didn't know it had LEDs in it until I went to pick up the Bass from Jon!!! Honestly! - It was a surprise and a gift from Jon. A really nice and touching pressie. We both laughed out loud when he switched them on for the first time. We both know it's completely OTT - but then - I've got a top quality slice of Birdseye Maple and AMAZING colour change flip paint - so really - the LEDs will be nice to pop on for a few seconds in a performance! It suits my slightly tongue in cheek approach!

[quote name='mart' post='945408' date='Sep 4 2010, 02:20 PM']Those lights look fantastic! All the other basses I've seen with LEDs have either been very utilitarian, or very tacky. This manages to be neither.[/quote]

That's very kind of you to say so! Thanks! The 'Doodle' is my little signature - I've got it on my 7 string too - but it doesn't light up. Just looks nice n' tasteful I think!

[quote name='270degrees' post='945448' date='Sep 4 2010, 03:25 PM']IMO, LEDs on the side are a good idea. On the front, they're just another way of adding virtual inches to your manhood; buy a guitar whilst you're at it. :)[/quote]

I think as dot markers, they are really helpful on dark stages - though I'm not *quite* sure what key my markers are showing me! ha!

[quote name='270degrees' post='945448' date='Sep 4 2010, 03:25 PM']Somebody must have invented touch-sensitive LED's, ie, they light up when pressed. They'd be invaluable for tutors.

IMO, LEDs on the side are a good idea. On the front, they're just another way of adding virtual inches to your manhood; buy a guitar whilst you're at it. :P[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol: :o :o

Even though I think they are mostly a joke, I have to admit that I have trouble seeing my top markers in iffy lighting on my maple neck
The maple and bronze neck and dots aren't the best to pick out the dots so I am considering a retro fit by Sims.
I need to know how invisble that retro fit will be.. as the pattern on the neck is something you can't mess with, lightly.

I have them on a RW and bound neck but never have to see them and the battery drain get a bit too much as well.

All my basses bar one ( which is blocked ) don't have fretboard marking away so am certainly not going to have LEDs there. I think the only thing that works is MoP blocks and a nice bind, personally.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='945090' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:24 AM']The 'responsive' Slap L.E.D.s don't make much sense to me...and they don't seem to be ultra sensitive...

I had a Spector NS-94 in 2003 with L.E.D.s and everybody just laughed at me.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Just reminded me of Carrie this?...."Theyre Laughing at me!...Theyre laughing at me"

[quote name='silddx' post='947379' date='Sep 6 2010, 04:41 PM']I'd like some gentle blue side LEDs, and I think dood's are very tasteful. But generally they look rank.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Blue L.E.Ds for some unknown reason are more expensive?...I agree though!...Totally J. Arthur!
...Each To There Own Though!......I for one... have not seen the light!

Edited by MB1

There are rumours in the industry that very soon light up markers could be done for a very low price.

The basic tech is the same as glow in the dark toys etc only much more advanced and long lasting plastics.

The theory is you could have light up dots that last a few hours just from leaving the bass in a room with a lightbulb for 20 minutes before you play.

I have [color="#FF8C00"]orange[/color] side LEDs on my Shuker... the colour goes nicely with the baccy sunburst body, I think. The gorgeous walnut Sei Flamboyant I used to own had [color="#0000FF"]blue[/color] ones. They were nice too.
I find the side LEDs a godsend on dark stages, but I wouldn't have front LEDs if you paid me. Well yeah, I would. I just wouldn't switch them on. :)