Why become a member? ×

Who is a truly awful bassist?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='924418' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:39 PM']No, Myung isn't a great bass player full stop. Awful isn't really the right word to describe him, he's just VERY overrated in my opinion. His technique is poor in the left hand, and if any teacher taught you to play like he did, they would be doing you a massive disservice. Having watched through some stuff on Youtube it's clear that he has some nice ideas, but he's nothing extraordinary. There are many players on here who are equally competent and capable as he his. Having seen him live with Dream Theatre I was completely unimpressed and bored. I'd gone to the gig as a freebie and went with real excitement about seeing this so called super group and super bassist. Just incredibly dull. It's like paint by numbers for progressive rock! Or paint by numbers for bassists![/quote]
You are wrong mate, so,so very wrong!!!

IMHO......of course!

Flea and John Myung truely awful bass players? My my, the standard of appraisal really has gone down here over the years. It used to be such a positive place.

There's music out there that I think is cr*p, and there are musicians that I don't like, but I wouldn't go so far as to judge their ability. I think that would make me the least qualified person to do so.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='924418' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:39 PM']His technique is poor in the left hand, and if any teacher taught you to play like he did, they would be doing you a massive disservice.[/quote]

I think a lot of 'great' bass players have errr 'unique' playing styles that may not be the preferred technique as part of a tutor's regime. If that's the gauge to what an awful Vs good Bass Player is, then I concede that one lolz!

[quote]There are many players on here who are equally competent and capable as he his.[/quote]

Yaaarp, I can play DT stuff. Hmmm.. am I awful? :)

[quote]Having seen him live with Dream Theatre I was completely unimpressed and bored. I'd gone to the gig as a freebie and went with real excitement about seeing this so called super group and super bassist. Just incredibly dull. It's like paint by numbers for progressive rock! Or paint by numbers for bassists![/quote]

Again, is that not just your view of the whole band - that's not Mr Myung being awful.

I remain, as ever, light hearted.

[quote name='Golchen' post='924447' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:22 PM']Flea and John Myung truely awful bass players? My my, the standard of appraisal really has gone down here over the years. It used to be such a positive place.

There's music out there that I think is cr*p, and there are musicians that I don't like, but I wouldn't go so far as to judge their ability. I think that would make me the least qualified person to do so.[/quote]

Ah, I'm just taking this entire thread as a bit of light entertainment :)

I don't actually think that Peter Hook is awful.

[quote name='Beedster' post='924449' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:24 PM']These guys, Flea excepted

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98733&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98733&hl=[/url]

C[/quote]

:) nice!

[quote name='Golchen' post='924447' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:22 PM']Flea and John Myung truely awful bass players? My my, the standard of appraisal really has gone down here over the years. It used to be such a positive place.

There's music out there that I think is cr*p, and there are musicians that I don't like, but I wouldn't go so far as to judge their ability. I think that would make me the least qualified person to do so.[/quote]

Agree

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='924418' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:39 PM']No, Myung isn't a great bass player full stop. Awful isn't really the right word to describe him, he's just VERY overrated in my opinion. His technique is poor in the left hand, and if any teacher taught you to play like he did, they would be doing you a massive disservice.[/quote]

Lightheartedly:

I find that Myung bashing a bit much, criticising the technique of such a brilliant technician would be fair enough if his playing reflected the apparent lack of technique. But it doesn't, if it was truly bad then his sound would suffer. It doesn't.

The stuff he plays is so damn difficult, just try learning a song like Dance Of Eternity and you will see what I mean, his timing and attack is always completely impeccable, although I agree he is a little soulless.

Also, DT -as someone previously mentioned- are a band that do not immediately appeal to most people. I was a huge fan for a couple of years, but when I first heard them I thought their songs were appalling. So I sympathise with that a bad first impression, but still, you can't disregard the musicianship of the whole band, and obviously the man in question.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='924477' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:46 PM']Maybe it should be a "Name some bass players you just don't really like very much" thread?

Truckstop[/quote]

Heh heh heh +1 :)

[quote name='Stag' post='924485' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:54 PM']I nominate...

me.[/quote]

Now that I will argue till I'm blue in the face! - You managed to get in to the newspaper for choosing to leave a band!! Now that is not the kinda thing that happens to an awful bass player! You are cool as f*ck!!

[quote name='dood' post='924512' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:09 PM']Now that I will argue till I'm blue in the face! - You managed to get in to the newspaper for choosing to leave a band!! Now that is not the kinda thing that happens to an awful bass player! You are cool as f*ck!![/quote]

oh man, you saw that? I didnt send it to you did I? dont remember telling anyone about the me/paper bit (i knew they would do something like that!!! lol)

Edited by Stag

Has anyone seen Andy Lewis who has been playing with Paul Weller for the past couple of years. I had seen Weller in the past with Damon Minchella who was fantastic. Lately I've seen him twice with Andy Lewis and came away disappointed both times. I really dont enjoy his style and I just dont think he has any feel or groove. And to top it off his tone was shocking!

So he gets my vote as an awful bassist.

[quote name='Beedster' post='924449' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:24 PM']These guys, Flea excepted

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98733&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98733&hl=[/url]

C[/quote]

In that video,maybe. But check them out in their 'day gigs' and there is no way you could call any of them awful.

Once again,people's opinions of 'awful' has come down to who you like band-wise. If you like Dream Theater then Myung is ace,
if you don't then he's awful. In reality the guy has got some chops and isn't an awful player,there are both far better and far
worse players.
Now, there are a large number of rock and indie bass players(take your pick) who really have no idea what they're doing,they
just chug along on roots,not because it's the best thing for the music but because that is all they know how to,and can, do.
Those players,to me, are the ones that I'm most likely to class as poor.

[quote name='Rayman' post='923783' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:04 PM']Sid was so awful that Steve re-recorded all the crap Sid had put down. Sid was just a poster boy, planted by Malcolm McLaren to make them look the part.[/quote]

If you get the [b]Classic Album[/b] series DVD of [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Albums-Pistols-Never-Bollocks/dp/B00007DWOQ/ref=sr_1_33?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1281740432&sr=1-33"]Never mind the b0LL0cks[/url], it goes through who played what on the entire album. If i recall corretly there may be a tiny bit of Sids bass hidden in the 'Bodies' mix. The rest is Steve Jones with Matlock only playing bass on Anarchy and i think one other track. If you get the 'SpÜnk' bootleg there are a few more tracks on there where Matlock plays bass on, from the [i]Denmark Street [/i]sessions (where that naughty 'tea leaf' Steve Jones nicked many guitars from)

Edited by daz

Just so's I'm not getting implicated in the Myung-bashing, I think his playing is entirely appropriate for his band. It's just that the band is not appropriate for a discussion about music. For fear of turning this into a merits-or-otherwise of DT thread I have to point out that I've heard a lot of their music for a long time, dating back to 1994 when a guitarist mate forced a copy of Images & Words on me because "if you like Rush - you'll [i]love [/i]these guys!". Wrong. :rolleyes:

I've subsequently heard lots more, (including a boot of their early demos as Majesty with their original singer) and even sought out newer releases (most recently Octavarium) in case I'd misjudged them. But I still think they're f@cking awful. :)

Anyway - this is very off-topic and I'm actually hard-pushed to think of a "truly awful" bassist. To me that suggests inept rather than over-busy, or lacking taste, or overly simplistic, or overrated because they possess breasts, or any of the other criticisms that have been levelled at the contenders.

The closest thing to truly awful would be poor old Sid, but he doesn't qualify because he was only ever a gimmick, not a bassist.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='924549' date='Aug 14 2010, 12:10 AM']Anyway - this is very off-topic and I'm actually hard-pushed to think of a "truly awful" bassist. To me that suggests inept rather than over-busy, or lacking taste, or overly simplistic, or overrated because they possess breasts, or any of the other criticisms that have been levelled at the contenders.

The closest thing to truly awful would be poor old Sid, but he doesn't qualify because he was only ever a gimmick, not a bassist.

J.[/quote]

Indeed Sid never really got a chance to shine. He was brought in because Johnny Rotten was paranoid that he was on his own in the band and non of them liked him. Thats why he always had his mates [i]the three Johns[/i] with him (John Grey, John Wardle [i]aka: Jah Wobble,[/i] and John Beverly [i]aka: Sid Vicious[/i]) with him at sessions, as well as gigs and relaxing. This made the other Pistols keep their distance even more coz there were scared of Wobble.

Even before the Pistols,Sid had tried to learn the bass playing along to the Ramones LP. After he joined the band he did try to learn for a while, then Skag and 'orrible nancy got their claws into him. Although after the Pistols broke up, Maclaran did get him in the studio to record some old rock n roller standards, but the studio techs could not induce him to do anything but practice his bass for 3 days, whilst the studio was running up a huge bill for Virgin. Whether this was a genuine attempt at learning the bass or a chance to get back at McLaran we'll never know. (this recording was later succsesfull as the Singles C'mon everybody, and Something Else, with the naughty B sides of Friggin in the riggin, etc. Though Sid only Sang vocals not played bass)

The gigs where Sid played live he was always turned right down in the PA and thought he was being heard as he could hear himself though the monitors. The Pistols live were a wall of sound, so Sids bass was not really missed. Steve and Paul had nicked huge top of the range Marshall Amps and cabs as well as guitars.(also Bowies £500 state of the art mikes from the Rainbow Theatre) So even without a PA they would be loud in a small club. Twice whilst warming up on the [i]SPOTS[/i] tour Paul set off the noise monitors and switched the power off to the building, and that was with un miked up drums. The one thing everyone who saw them agrees on was that they were seriously ear bleedingly loud.

Edited by daz

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' post='924523' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:28 PM']Has anyone seen Andy Lewis who has been playing with Paul Weller for the past couple of years. I had seen Weller in the past with Damon Minchella who was fantastic. Lately I've seen him twice with Andy Lewis and came away disappointed both times. I really dont enjoy his style and I just dont think he has any feel or groove. And to top it off his tone was shocking!

So he gets my vote as an awful bassist.[/quote]

Purely as a point of interest, I used to know him when I lived in Watford and he produced a session my band did about 10yrs ago. It's funny seeing him play the basses on TV that I used on the session at the time (I used his gear). He also made me play with a pick whereas I use my fingers normally. He's a good musician actually, maybe just not to your tastes as you say. Minchella is a very tasteful player :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='924549' date='Aug 14 2010, 12:10 AM']Just so's I'm not getting implicated in the Myung-bashing, I think his playing is entirely appropriate for his band. It's just that the band is not appropriate for a discussion about music. For fear of turning this into a merits-or-otherwise of DT thread I have to point out that I've heard a lot of their music for a long time, dating back to 1994 when a guitarist mate forced a copy of Images & Words on me because "if you like Rush - you'll [i]love [/i]these guys!". Wrong. :rolleyes:

I've subsequently heard lots more, (including a boot of their early demos as Majesty with their original singer) and even sought out newer releases (most recently Octavarium) in case I'd misjudged them. But I still think they're f@cking awful. :)[/quote]
Same here.
I'm not saying Myung is an awful bassist, just agreeing with somebody who feels the same about Dream Theatre's music as I do. The capability of any of the musicians is not in question.

[quote name='endorka' post='924416' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:38 PM']Hooky was, and remains, a HUGE influence on me. His work on Joy Division's "Atmosphere", for example, is simply definitive. I can't imagine a better line for that song.

I had to work out the bassline for U2's "All I Want Is You" last week - and pretty damn decent it is too. Some nice improvised bits, nothing overstated. Just right I would say.

I think many understimate the talent of bass players like those I mention above; to survive in a group for so long in a very tough business they must be doing something right.

[indent]
"I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks
It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll"[/indent]

Some of my proudest moments in bass playing have also been the simplest.

Jennifer[/quote]
i agree with that (about Clayton). Tho Clayton ain't the best i think some of his basslines are pretty cool. 'New Years day', Mysterious ways, Bullet the blue sky. also with The Edge tossing it off with all is 'clever guitar bits. He had to keep the bass simple. Like Mike Anthony in Van Halen, he didn't have much choice but to pedal