Why become a member? ×

Famous Basses?

overdriver

Not exactly famous but my recently acquired S2 Classic was previously owned by Level 42 guitarist Nathan King (Mark King's brother) according to The Gallery where I got it from...

And a very poor quality vid of him playing it:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVoPYJg7TdU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVoPYJg7TdU[/url]

[quote name='molan' post='919583' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:22 PM']Calling Clarky :)[/quote]
Hi Barrie! Yep, my (molan's old) Alleva-Coppolo Willie Weeks was played on the 2009 Eric Clapton tour by the great WW .... he of Donny Hathaway's classic live album and the (debatably-greatest ever) bass solo, on "Voices Inside (everything is everything"

Unfortunately due to an unexpected Spanish tax demand of dubious legality/morals (on the part of the authorities that is) I have to sell this bass, as its the most valuable one I own by a long way (link below)

Edit: 10 years ago I owned a Fender 80s black/maple Jazz that was previously owned by Terence Trent Darby's player, or so I was told by Macari's on Charing Cross Road. Bit of a comedown from Willie Weeks, no offence TTD's bass player!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='919607' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:42 PM']Edit: 10 years ago I owned a Fender 80s black/maple Jazz that was previously owned by Terence Trent Darby's player, or so I was told by Macari's on Charing Cross Road. Bit of a comedown from Willie Weeks, no offence TTD's bass player![/quote]
TTD's original bassist was Cass Lewis, subsequently of Skunk Anansie. If it was him I'd be suitably impressed. :)

I very much doubt if any of my tat has a high-profile provenance - although I did once have a Columbus Jazz copy with a big Cargo Studios (where early Joy Division & loads of Factory Records stuff was made) sticker on the back - and I always sort of hoped it might've been a Cargo house bass at one point. In which case it might have technically belonged to Peter Hook, who co-owned Cargo in the 80s.

But I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='919658' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:21 PM']TTD's original bassist was Cass Lewis, subsequently of Skunk Anansie. If it was him I'd be suitably impressed. :)[/quote]
Blimey, didn't know that! It was quite modded - Badass, two EMG active pickups - but played really well. Sold it for peanuts on eBay as I wanted a Precision and modded 80s Fenders were not fetching much at that time

Posted this before, but any excuse to show it again.... :)

My Ibanez belonged to Paul Ryder from Happy Mondays. He used it on their first two albums,videos, Top of the Pops etc... & it's probably been round the World a few times prior to me getting it.
If a bass could talk; this one would no doubt, have some cracking tales to tell! :rolleyes:

[quote name='nick' post='919886' date='Aug 9 2010, 06:12 PM']Posted this before, but any excuse to show it again.... :)

My Ibanez belonged to Paul Ryder from Happy Mondays. He used it on their first two albums,videos, Top of the Pops etc... & it's probably been round the World a few times prior to me getting it.
If a bass could talk; this one would no doubt, have some cracking tales to tell! :rolleyes:

[/quote]A HA. I knew I recognised it.

I am reliably informed that my '63 P used to belong to Bruce Thomas of The Attractions. It's the one he bought to replace his stolen salmon pink P. It originally came to me with a retro fitted anodised gold p/g, I replaced it with a tort one to get the right vintage look. BT does talk about it on the Fender website but mistakenly dates it as a '64

My Status apparently used to belong to Guy Pratt. It appears to be a prototype so it might well be true, though I can't honestly say I'm bothered either way.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd be too stoked about about owning any famous players bass.. Maybe Mani's 4005, though I'm not actually a fan of his and would be just as happy with a copy. :)

[quote name='ezbass' post='919925' date='Aug 9 2010, 07:01 PM']I am reliably informed that my '63 P used to belong to Bruce Thomas of The Attractions. It's the one he bought to replace his stolen salmon pink P. It originally came to me with a retro fitted anodised gold p/g, I replaced it with a tort one to get the right vintage look. BT does talk about it on the Fender website but mistakenly dates it as a '64

[/quote]

I don't think my P was owned by anyone famous but it looks uncannily like yours...

[attachment=56197:61P_2.jpg]

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='920344' date='Aug 10 2010, 09:03 AM']Neil Sedaka?[/quote]

:)

No, Jimmy Lea's of Slade, but it used to stand on Nod's side of the stage as No. 5 in a block of 8 of them. It was used as a monitor of sorts among the backline (they didn't use wedges) & to give a better spread of sound to the front of stage audience.