Why become a member? ×

Famous Basses?

overdriver

I bought my Mesa Boogie 210 from the Bass Centre and the said it used to belong to Mark King.

Chris Déjà played bass for the Yardbirds and when his Fender Precision didn't work on a gig at the Richmond Crawdaddy club I offered my bass. I went home and proudly brought back my Framus Star Bass. His face dropped! But he played it and said thanks afterwards!

Oh yes, and I'd taken the frets out. I don't think he'd concentrated so much for years!

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='920310' date='Aug 10 2010, 08:26 AM']I don't think my P was owned by anyone famous but it looks uncannily like yours...

[attachment=56197:61P_2.jpg][/quote]

Wow 2 peas in a pod, yours is older though, nice.

My old p bass was dipped in bronze and now hangs around the neck of a Phil Lynott statue in Dublin's Temple Bar...... so no I have never owned a famous persons bass - but did get to try out Phil's old P bass as the shop had it to 'mock up' before the bronze dip!

done!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='928365' date='Aug 18 2010, 09:14 AM']The guy in the shop where I got my ABM cab from told me Mark King had played through it, could be true as they do get a lot of old tour stuff in there but he obviously didn't realise that wouldn't be a selling point to me.[/quote]
Well, if that counts - in 1981 I bought a bass (Washburn B20 Stage series) from Macari's in Charing Cross Road, which is where Mark King apparently worked as a bass salesperson before L42 turned pro.

I was just a snotty kid and have no recollection of who got the bass down from the wall, or whether or not he played any boinkety-boinkety slap lines on it before handing it to me, whereupon I probably fumblingly attempted to play something by Rush - most likely Xanadu or Red Barchetta.

So, apropos of nothing at all, really. :)

J.

Moving away...slightly from bass guitars owned by famous players....I have a flight case that used to contain a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab. I bought it for my Trace Elliot bass combo,from e bay...stenciled on both sides is Sinead O'Connor......didn't know she played the bass.......

[quote name='krispn' post='933585' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:12 PM']My old p bass was dipped in bronze and now hangs around the neck of a Phil Lynott statue in Dublin's Temple Bar...... so no I have never owned a famous persons bass - but did get to try out Phil's old P bass as the shop had it to 'mock up' before the bronze dip!

done![/quote]

Cool,I don't own a Rock Star OWNED bass,but Phil did borrow this one for several days for the "Do anything you want to" video from the Black Rose album

[quote name='dougal' post='936007' date='Aug 25 2010, 02:28 PM']If you want tenuous - I can do tenuous!

My H&K basebass 600 was owned by a member of the prodigy, and then given to a roadie, who sold it to me.[/quote]
and Keith from The Prodigy uses the same drycleaner as me which means that we must be related :)