Why become a member? ×

1977 Fender £270 - to good to be true?

burno70

[quote name='burno70' post='889928' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:19 PM'][url="http://liverpool.gumtree.com/liverpool/97/61768697.html"]http://liverpool.gumtree.com/liverpool/97/61768697.html[/url]

I work not far from there and am tempted to try and see it in my lunch hour but I just ain't got the readies.[/quote]
Sounds like the guy doesnt know what hes on about...def not a 77...looks like a roadworn to me (but the price is way too low) ...Walnut effect scratchplate?? Could be a MIM but distrrssed ? for any bass with Fender on the headstock this price is low...confusing...if its too good to be true...it usually is..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='889952' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:39 PM']Sounds like the guy doesnt know what hes on about...def not a 77...looks like a roadworn to me (but the price is way too low) ...Walnut effect scratchplate?? Could be a MIM but distrrssed ? for any bass with Fender on the headstock this price is low...confusing...if its too good to be true...it usually is..[/quote]
That's just a stock pic of a roadworn. Anyone nearby, go and have a look asap!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='890027' date='Jul 9 2010, 12:48 AM']There will be one excuse or another why this isn't available to view or buy in person - he wants payment by paypal then he'll disappear with the dosh.

I expect[/quote]
Knock off probably.

The only weird thing is if its a scam why do it so obvious? If it was a mex jazz for similar cash they would stand much more chance of someone coughing up the cash.Granted they clearly know very little about bass guitars (like me!)but 2 mins on ebay would give them an idea of what to put,how much and even lift a decent pic? A few years ago I bought a USA Strat off a kid in Surrey, Spoilt bratt had it for his 7th birthday off an uncle.He then sold it without telling his parents 7 years later unplayed prettymuch so I ended up with a 97 USA strat,USA hard case and fender practice amp for £400! not as big a bargain now as it was 3 years ago (or as a 77 Jazz for £270!) but even still goes to show these people are out there!

I messaged the guy about it. This was the reply...

"Hi there,

What you see is the actual bass, my wallpaper is a lime green (don't ask, please) so i got rid of the background using some photoshop program If i didn't it'd be pretty hard to spot the guitar!

The reason for the low price is simple: i'd rather this guitar goes to someone who will actually play it rather than a collector who will merely hang it up gathering dust!

Shipping is by FedEx and is included in the price

Regards,

Jaco"

Now a few things about this that is odd.

1) His name is Jaco... Yet his email was axlmusic? Seems a little odd.

2) That picture seems insanely stock.

3) I could be totally wrong but didnt the 70s have block inlays?

[quote]What you see is the actual bass, my wallpaper is a lime green (don't ask, please) so i got rid of the background using some photoshop program If i didn't it'd be pretty hard to spot the guitar![/quote]
Just send him a link to [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0131810340"]Fender's page for the Roadworn Jazz[/url] and ask if he realises that Fender have stolen his image and are using it to promote an instrument. Say something like, "Look, the wear patterns are exactly the same, and even the angle of the shadows of the tuning posts is the same." Suggest to him that he should sue Fender for unauthorised use of his image. :)

I've also explored this one and offered to buy it.

I said i'd pick it up over the weekend but he says he's gigging in london till 21st July. Says he's taken it with him so it's ready to post !

so I said I was happy to wait till he's back. The gumtree ad points to a sw***y rental apartments in the city centre.

Have volunteered to pay a small deposit to secure the bass but he didn't mention that in the last reply.

90% of me says hoax, but I'll pursue a while longer