Why become a member? ×

What's the next step up...Fender Precision Bass Quality

Musicman20

I have realised how much the Precision tone/neck profile is part of my playing.

When I was around 13/14 I thought id upgrade from my MIJ Fender to something that wasnt a Precision. I was wrong. That tone and bodyshape have stayed with me and im hooked.

I am now lucky enough to have two very nice 08-09 American Series Precision basses. Both are excellent examples of what Fender can do if the QC is high.

This got me thinking. I love the tone, necks and style of the new Fenders...they made some great improvements.

Is there anything other than Custom Shop Fender thats above these quality wise? Obviously a true vintage Fender would be a great investment but I doubt Id ever find one id be 100% happy with as I really dont know enough to pick a quality vintage.

Before anyone comments, yes I am stuck on Fender with this, mostly. The NASH basses look great, but I doubt anything else would be 'Fender' enough for me. Sadowsky/Alleva are a no in this case.

If Custom Shop/Vintage is the next step, then ill be sticking with what Ive got for a long time!

I think the whole point about a good P-bass is its simplicity. I don't get boutique versions of them. From what I've seen the US Standards are as well made as at any time in Fender's history. A vintage P might have a sound and look of its own, but won't be better quality, just older. It is alder or ash, maple neck, one pickup and 2 controls. Decent wood and attention to fretting/setup and you can't go far wrong. If you're going to drop serious money on a bass, either go vintage or get something that does something else - or even, gasp, keep your money in your pocket as I have finally learned to do after years and tens of thousands of pounds wasted on boutique instruments!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='877683' date='Jun 25 2010, 08:13 PM']unless there's a specific issue with your fenders, the only real step up would be to get something custom made taking all your preferences into consideration, or maybe tweaking what you have by customising it.[/quote]

[quote name='XB26354' post='877712' date='Jun 25 2010, 08:52 PM']I think the whole point about a good P-bass is its simplicity. I don't get boutique versions of them. From what I've seen the US Standards are as well made as at any time in Fender's history. A vintage P might have a sound and look of its own, but won't be better quality, just older. It is alder or ash, maple neck, one pickup and 2 controls. Decent wood and attention to fretting/setup and you can't go far wrong. If you're going to drop serious money on a bass, either go vintage or get something that does something else - or even, gasp, keep your money in your pocket as I have finally learned to do after years and tens of thousands of pounds wasted on boutique instruments![/quote]
I agree with most of this but I do believe [i]some[/i] players benefit from a boutique instrument, although the benefit (especially with something like a standard Precision layout) is probably more in the mind of the player than in the quality of the woods, construction and electronics. I think the US Standards are really nice feeling instruments, smooth rounded board edges and fret ends, usually nicely set up and usually good quality paint & fittings. Paying more money for rare fingerboard woods and a flame in your maple won't make it a better sounding instrument, but the player might 'like' the bass more, feel more connected to it especially if it was custom built for them which often leads them to play better.

Do you get what I mean?

[quote name='henry norton' post='877746' date='Jun 25 2010, 08:35 PM']I agree with most of this but I do believe [i]some[/i] players benefit from a boutique instrument, although the benefit (especially with something like a standard Precision layout) is probably more in the mind of the player than in the quality of the woods, construction and electronics. I think the US Standards are really nice feeling instruments, smooth rounded board edges and fret ends, usually nicely set up and usually good quality paint & fittings. Paying more money for rare fingerboard woods and a flame in your maple won't make it a better sounding instrument, but the player might 'like' the bass more, feel more connected to it especially if it was custom built for them which often leads them to play better.

Do you get what I mean?[/quote]

Yes (hence all the money spent!) - just not on something as straightforward as a passive bass with one pickup - but then again a Fodera AJ Presentation is a passive bass with one pickup and is close to $20,000 :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='877712' date='Jun 25 2010, 07:52 PM']I think the whole point about a good P-bass is its simplicity. I don't get boutique versions of them. From what I've seen the US Standards are as well made as at any time in Fender's history. A vintage P might have a sound and look of its own, but won't be better quality, just older. It is alder or ash, maple neck, one pickup and 2 controls. Decent wood and attention to fretting/setup and you can't go far wrong. If you're going to drop serious money on a bass, either go vintage or get something that does something else - or even, gasp, keep your money in your pocket as I have finally learned to do after years and tens of thousands of pounds wasted on boutique instruments![/quote]

'Precis'ely my point :)

A P-Bass is notorious for that ever present nasal midrange infectious bite that never failto be heard in the dodgiest of mix and worst acoustic situations, it's unbeatable in that spectre, and it'll only sounds proper when it's left as natural as possible, any tweak you make to it, you move away from it's original intended sound, and I've tried the lot of 'em (*mods that is)

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!

Thanks for the input.

Anyway, for me, it would have to stay simple...as originally designed. No extras, no fancy wood, (other than a lovely birdseye neck with rosewood board maybe) just a really well made Precision with the best pickup known to man.

Im probably much better off sticking with what Ive got, as the next step is a LOT more money and might not offer that much more. Custom Shop Fender would be my next stop I think, (I havent heard one non-Fender that sound EXACTLY how I like a Precision to sound....yet.....and the Fender 'feel' is right for me).

[quote name='Musicman20' post='877813' date='Jun 25 2010, 10:00 PM']Thanks for the input.

Anyway, for me, it would have to stay simple...as originally designed. No extras, no fancy wood, (other than a lovely birdseye neck with rosewood board maybe) just a really well made Precision with the best pickup known to man.

Im probably much better off sticking with what Ive got, as the next step is a LOT more money and might not offer that much more. Custom Shop Fender would be my next stop I think, (I havent heard one non-Fender that sound EXACTLY how I like a Precision to sound....yet.....and the Fender 'feel' is right for me).[/quote]

From my experience you have hit the nail on the head.

You could get a CS fender but the reality is that it could be no better than your current 2. The Std P (if you get a good one) is a very good instrument and really only minor details can be improved, so whilst a Sadowsky or lakland or NASH may have more knobs and whsitles (if you know what I mean) a P will still be a P. It is a fact that the P is respected, and universally loved for.

My preferance is to slap a Bartolini pup in there, and at very least a HM bridge or BA (the BBOT bridge whilst functional is not nice) but other than that it is a cracking design.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='877813' date='Jun 25 2010, 11:00 PM']Thanks for the input.

Anyway, for me, it would have to stay simple...as originally designed. No extras, no fancy wood, (other than a lovely birdseye neck with rosewood board maybe) just a really well made Precision with the best pickup known to man.[/quote]
The thing about finding the "best pickup known to man" is pickup choice so hugely subjective - all you can do is find the pickup [i]you[/i] like best which either means trying allot of souped up Precisions (preferably with the same board, hardware and body wood but with no added electronics), or spending allot of money buying all the top drawer P pickups you can find and testing them back-to-back in your own bass. I'd definitely do that if I could warrant spending the cash :)

The Bravewood P I had for a while was superb (now with Happy Jack?), so I'd recommend the "boutique" repro approach, although there have been some issues mentioned here with the quality of some of his work. Wesley Steed seems to be on track to make some great basses (very authentic repros based on whatever specs you prefer)...but I haven't played one yet.

I'd talk to these makers before the Fender custom operation...

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='877909' date='Jun 26 2010, 02:44 AM']+1 for a Shuker-not necessarily a JJ, but a Shuker Precision.[/quote]
My old Shuker JJB was a cut above the 2008-10 new MIA Precisions, and I think they are lovely basses. It felt better put together, all the components and the finishing (paintwork, hand-cut s/p etc) were completely top notch, it hung and played beautifully. The flat, wide but shallow neck was also really comfortable. I only sold it as I went the vintage route with my 72 Precision - which is a wonderful bass but, in truth, no better as a playing instrument than the JJB.

[quote name='XB26354' post='877712' date='Jun 25 2010, 07:52 PM']keep your money in your pocket as I have finally learned to do after years and tens of thousands of pounds wasted on boutique instruments![/quote]

This - save your money and spend it on amps and cabs... oh wait, you already have! :rolleyes:

Forget about it - enjoy your fine gear and do more playing! :)

I have been down the same route here but with musicman basses,I get the feeling you would like an old one but only if it cuts the mustard? Thats exactly what I wanted and like you felt I could come unstuck and end up with an unplayable piece of junk as many vintage (or at least older depending on what people class as vintage) basses I had tried were awful in all areas.Mark at bass direct summed it up really by saying he would only buy a bass he liked rather than for future values or collectability but if it has both you have hit the nail on the head! If you search long and hard there will be a perfect old collectable P bass in your favourite colour that sounds and plays perfect you may even drop on quite quickly or it could take years but that is part of the fun. (isnt it?).If you play one somewhere and think to yourself "I would sell all the kit I have now and start again to buy this bass rather than let it pass me by" Thats going to be the one. How many people buy custom stuff made to their spec only to flog it on?, In many cases as you will see in the FS section within weeks!I would rather be able to play before I buy which is not possible with a one off,Sure you can try a similar one to get the idea but with the standard of gear you already have you will be looking for the smallest differences that will not exist until its built.Start searching and good luck.It does not have to be old but sounds to me like your after the ultimate Fender p or your search will never end! :)