Why become a member? ×

What's the next step up...Fender Precision Bass Quality

Musicman20

Ever tried out a JV? I own 2 Precisions: a 1978 US model and a 1982 JV 57 reissue, and although they are only 4 years apart agewise they are quite different from each other in both playability and tone.

The '78 is your typical solid old beast with the classic baseball bat neck, and it just nails 'that' late 70s/early 80s Pbass sound. Think Foxton, Forbes, Burnel et al.

The JV is definitely lighter, and the neck is a lot different: with a much flatter rear profile. The closest comparison is to my '79 StingRay. Soundwise it has more bottom end, and less mid and treble. I've never strung it with flats, but no doubt it would be capable of that Motown kinda tone.

Plus JVs are considerably cheaper than vintage US basses... :)

I don' really see what you're after to be honest, if your P basses already sound great, play great and look great. They seem like they already represent the epitome of the thing they're 'meant' to be!

If you've got unquenchable desire for new gear then a better idea might be either something a bit different but similar in overall vibe, like a high-end Yamaha BB (how about that funky new number with the amazing resonant body wood? Yamaha QC is very good too) or to seek medical help for your addiction! :)

[quote name='discreet' post='878013' date='Jun 26 2010, 10:40 AM']I'm not familiar with this instrument - is it Irish/American? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I say, stick with Precision´s- there is NOTHING out there that comes close to them soundwise.
The original and best since 51! :)

Get a Custom Shop 64. Got to have a play on one for a few mins last month when the band at my mate´s wedding was setting up.
kick ass!!!

As much as I realise the Shuker would be nice, its still not 'Precision' enough for me. I realise its not really a custom, but after investigating the custom route, its not something im really after.

Im going to stick with what Ive got until I can look into the Custom Shop range. The 62 Reissue would be nice, so thats something to look into. Id prefer a Custom Shop though.

I do like what Lakland do, but Ive had a nightmare trying to buy one in the past so I wont be going down that route.

[quote name='dr1' post='878025' date='Jun 26 2010, 10:54 AM']maybe you just want a jazz bass now but you aint aware of that? :)
your next step could be strings. maybe you already doin it, but one P with flats other with rounds etc.[/quote]

Got this part sorted already. I like the Jazz a hell of a lot, but the Precision just feels instantly 'right' and sits easier in a rock mix IMO.

I have a set of TI flats to fit to one of the Ps once the Fender Nickels are well and truly ready to be changed.

:rolleyes:

Whilst it may be a little against the grain in a "P" thread, have you considered either the new East P-Retro or the Villex tone shaper.
Both have been favourably received on BC and might present an interesting slant on the "P" sound.
Otherwise, if you go down the pick-up route, a phone call to custom manufacturers like Wizard or Armstrong might be an idea.
Tell them what you're after (in comparison to other pick-ups) and they might be able to do something for you.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='878124' date='Jun 26 2010, 01:26 PM']Whilst it may be a little against the grain in a "P" thread, have you considered either the new East P-Retro or the Villex tone shaper.
Both have been favourably received on BC and might present an interesting slant on the "P" sound.
Otherwise, if you go down the pick-up route, a phone call to custom manufacturers like Wizard or Armstrong might be an idea.
Tell them what you're after (in comparison to other pick-ups) and they might be able to do something for you.[/quote]

Ah interesting slant, good idea! Especially the East P Retro.

You know, you all speak the truth.
In homage to many of my inspirations last year I built a P-bass from this and that. I was nuts about it but put it down for some reason (Playing a 6-string all the time maybe).
I dusted it off about a month ago and I'm nuts about it again! Although the neck I bought didn't survive the winter it seems...

I can only really use it at home as I cannot play my bands songs on it but know this, the BEST aspect by far is the simplicity!
I've been using basses with all the bells and whistles and it can take you away from your hands and playing for a while...With the P-bass you plug in, turn up and play.
It's a one trick pony sound wise but it's the best at it and indeed it can cut any mix!
I like what Sheehan did to his, adding an EB-0 for even more low end (retaining it even at high notes helps perform solo's without loosing low end) but other than that, don't spoil it...although I do like one guys P/MM combo, you still have the option to solo the P-pup.

Seems Leo got it right first time, a real work horse with a marmite tone.
If you feel you have already got what you want then save ur cash, a Vintage model will have value and age, but not better sound quality unless you want the real old primitive tone.

You P-bass players are lucky, you have so much yet have it all.
Enjoy your P-basses to the full.

I was also going to suggest trying out the P-Retro, you have nothing to lose since it works in passive mode too and doesn't require any soldering to fit.

Definitely whack those TI flats on. I prefer Pyramid Gold or LaBella flats for old school thump but the TIs are a good compromise between those and rounds. They also sound great played with a pick.

Unless you've have rampant GAS and a need to buy every weird design of bass going like me then the only real reason is to improve on what you already have.

It sounds like your current bass is pretty much what you want, so what you need to is make a list of the things that you are not quite happy about with your current bass. Not things you think you might like but things you KNOW would improve the looks, feel, and sound.

I'd be interested to know exactly what improvements you think your current bass NEEDS.

Gareth, as you know I've owned one or two P basses since getting sucked into the world of BC. Beedsters Kylie, a lovely '74, a very good Jap 70's RI, the TF fretless, a Sadowsky Metro and now the Sadowsky NYC.

Hands down my Pino is my favourite by a long shot - yes they are all P basses, and yes some of it is in my head, but its the fattest, warmest most comfortable to play and played with a pick it has a massive presence. Totally my go-to bass. None of the others I've owned have lasted as well.

If the house was on fire and I had time to grab one bass - it would be the Pino. I reckon what you have is already great, so you can either try changing pickups to adjust the tone or settle on knowing that you won't be happy until you get a Custom Shop...

I have a suspicion that the latter is what you want to hear :)

[quote name='Legion' post='880887' date='Jun 29 2010, 12:57 PM']Gareth, as you know I've owned one or two P basses since getting sucked into the world of BC. Beedsters Kylie, a lovely '74, a very good Jap 70's RI, the TF fretless, a Sadowsky Metro and now the Sadowsky NYC.

Hands down my Pino is my favourite by a long shot - yes they are all P basses, and yes some of it is in my head, but its the fattest, warmest most comfortable to play and played with a pick it has a massive presence. Totally my go-to bass. None of the others I've owned have lasted as well.

If the house was on fire and I had time to grab one bass - it would be the Pino. I reckon what you have is already great, so you can either try changing pickups to adjust the tone or settle on knowing that you won't be happy until you get a Custom Shop...

I have a suspicion that the latter is what you want to hear :)[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I think you are spot on, and thats probably what I was aiming for. I wanted to hear it, but my bank balance didnt!

It will take a long time to get to a stage to be able to afford one, and id have to do some serious shifting around, but that Pino looks stunning.

Great to hear a hands on comparison as well, as it puts things in perspective.

Ill leave my Ps as they are, and just get the TI's on one of them. Then in a year or so Ill look into a Custom Shop.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='880503' date='Jun 28 2010, 11:23 PM']I was also going to suggest trying out the P-Retro, you have nothing to lose since it works in passive mode too and doesn't require any soldering to fit.

Definitely whack those TI flats on. I prefer Pyramid Gold or LaBella flats for old school thump but the TIs are a good compromise between those and rounds. They also sound great played with a pick.[/quote]

I didnt realise the P Retro need no soldering....interesting. Agreed on the Flats. I have some EB Group IIIs as well but I think they are going on the incoming Ray 4.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='880810' date='Jun 29 2010, 11:52 AM']Unless you've have rampant GAS and a need to buy every weird design of bass going like me then the only real reason is to improve on what you already have.

It sounds like your current bass is pretty much what you want, so what you need to is make a list of the things that you are not quite happy about with your current bass. Not things you think you might like but things you KNOW would improve the looks, feel, and sound.

I'd be interested to know exactly what improvements you think your current bass NEEDS.[/quote]

Good idea....to be honest, I think I can think of many things Id change other than have that Fender 'custom shop' magic....

[quote name='BigRedX' post='880810' date='Jun 29 2010, 11:52 AM']Unless you've have rampant GAS and a need to buy every weird design of bass going like me then the only real reason is to improve on what you already have.

I'd be interested to know exactly what improvements you think your current bass NEEDS.[/quote]
As usual, BigRedX hits the nail on the head. Is "Custom shop magic" really an improvement you can quantify or is it just a way of rationalising more basses?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='880901' date='Jun 29 2010, 01:06 PM']Good idea....to be honest, I think I can think of many things Id change other than have that Fender 'custom shop' magic....[/quote]
Far be it from me to stand in the way of someone's GAS, but I think if that's all you're after, you may well be heading for a disappointment.

You could well end up with an instrument that that gives very little improvement over your current favourite bass, but will probably have cost many tims more.

What I'd be doing is to use the opportunity to play every P-bass you come across, and if you come across something you really like then consider buying it. However in your position I think custom ordering or buying without playing is not going to yield results.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='881403' date='Jun 29 2010, 09:46 PM']Far be it from me to stand in the way of someone's GAS, but I think if that's all you're after, you may well be heading for a disappointment.

You could well end up with an instrument that that gives very little improvement over your current favourite bass, but will probably have cost many tims more.

What I'd be doing is to use the opportunity to play every P-bass you come across, and if you come across something you really like then consider buying it. However in your position I think custom ordering or buying without playing is not going to yield results.[/quote]

+1 Thats what I said in a much longer boring fashion earlier,Lol. Lots of expensive stuff that plays and sounds crap out there and some beutys waiting to be found for less money or maybe even more but for me it sounds like your quest is to try as many P's as you can, For all your know you current ones may already be "The ones". Go get saving and searching!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Excellent advice.
And whatever your bass -needs- to be bang on the money, I'm sure you can do it. Be it pickup change, mod, different tuners, maybe even the scratchplate?
Maybe the neck is the problem, a luthier could sort it...fretwire type or maybe the neck is too chunky? He / She could reduce the bulk.
Maybe the fingerboard radius? also workable.

I used to think you had to BUY the ultimate bass or go through a custom shop to get exactly what you want...Until I realised...HEY! It's made of wood and has parts on it that can be changed or shaped this way and that...just like anything, if it doesn't quite work with a little work you can get it to...if you follow?
I was sh*t scared about this idea at first until I saw how one of my inspirations got his bass so perfect for him...and if someone can do it with improper tools on the fly I'm sure taking it to an expert you'd be fine...or you could hack at it yourself I dunno.

Either way, sounds like you love your bass, so if it really NEEDS work, find what it is and work on it. :)
Best of all, once you have it perfect you not only have a bass for everything to be judged upon, but a template any top luthier worth his salt could take and duplicate.

Edited by Kongo

I am the same as in I always go back to a Precision as my main bass. My custom shop 59 in my avatar is a fantastic bass though the price was pretty high. Thanks to bassbod for giving me and my basses a mention on here. Custom is always a good option if you want to specify exactly how you want it to feel and might not be as expensive as you first think! :)
good luck finding what you are looking for!

I'd say the best way (because it will be the way I'm doing it soon) is to source your body and neck from Warmoth, add the pickups, bridge and machineheads of your choice, choose your scratchplate, string retainer and strap buttons/locks, decide whether or not you want ashtrays and get the whole lot assembled by a competent luthier.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='877652' date='Jun 25 2010, 06:29 PM']I have realised how much the Precision tone/neck profile is part of my playing.

When I was around 13/14 I thought id upgrade from my MIJ Fender to something that wasnt a Precision. I was wrong. That tone and bodyshape have stayed with me and im hooked.

I am now lucky enough to have two very nice 08-09 American Series Precision basses. Both are excellent examples of what Fender can do if the QC is high.

This got me thinking. I love the tone, necks and style of the new Fenders...they made some great improvements.

Is there anything other than Custom Shop Fender thats above these quality wise? Obviously a true vintage Fender would be a great investment but I doubt Id ever find one id be 100% happy with as I really dont know enough to pick a quality vintage.

Before anyone comments, yes I am stuck on Fender with this, mostly. The NASH basses look great, but I doubt anything else would be 'Fender' enough for me. Sadowsky/Alleva are a no in this case.

If Custom Shop/Vintage is the next step, then ill be sticking with what Ive got for a long time![/quote]
You just love buying gear don't you :)

You have already found your nirvana but that's such a nuisance because you don't have the excitement of searching for a new bass. What do you want from a new bass that you don't have already?

[quote name='Legion' post='880887' date='Jun 29 2010, 12:57 PM']Gareth, as you know I've owned one or two P basses since getting sucked into the world of BC. Beedsters Kylie, a lovely '74, a very good Jap 70's RI, the TF fretless, a Sadowsky Metro and now the Sadowsky NYC.

I have a suspicion that the latter is what you want to hear :)[/quote]

... You'll be getting rid of that nasty horrible Sado bass in my direction then! :rolleyes:

[quote name='silddx' post='882364' date='Jun 30 2010, 08:15 PM']You just love buying gear don't you :)

You have already found your nirvana but that's such a nuisance because you don't have the excitement of searching for a new bass. What do you want from a new bass that you don't have already?[/quote]

Hi Nig!

Hmm, Nitro finish, possible custom paint job, amazing attention to detail on the small fine parts of the bass, (dont get me wrong the Fenders I have are top notch, but I mean the really small detail) official covers on the bridge/pickup, official thumb rest, American Reissue pickup wound to be as close to 'modern and punchy meets vintage motown thump'...

To be honest, not a lot of massive differences, and only thing you would get if you spend more money (like a custom Fender paint job in Nitro).

Ill think on!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='882370' date='Jun 30 2010, 08:19 PM']... You'll be getting rid of that nasty horrible Sado bass in my direction then! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Keep plugging away boyo! Actually I just got back from practice and took the Pino & the Sado so I could A/B them...somewhat to my surprise I'll be taking the Sadowsky to the gig this weekend. Who knows what might happen.

Sorry to derail, carry on Gareth :)