Why become a member? ×

Help please: Best drum machine for drummerless rehearsals?

Beedster

im selling my boss dr880 - best drum machine i've heard...an i've heard a good few.

I just need to buy a new cooker (how uncool), so this has to go.

usually about £300-£350, i'm moving this on for £200...

Edited by AndyTravis

Chris,

Zoom MRT-3.

Works for us. Should be able to get one cheapish off t'bay, e.g.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoom-MRT3-drum-machine-mint-condition-/190400925967?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Drum_Machines_Grooveboxes&hash=item2c54c7910f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoom-MRT3-drum-machi...=item2c54c7910f[/url]

If I wasnt using mine next weekend you could've borrowed it.

Chris,

I think I've got an MRT-3 lying around somewhere. It's so long since I've used it that I'm not sure if I actually have still got it. If I have I'm happy to send it down to you to use for the duration for postage. Do you want me to see if I can dig it out?

Mark

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='857748' date='Jun 4 2010, 10:11 PM']im selling my boss dr880 - best drum machine i've heard...an i've heard a good few.

I just need to buy a new cooker (how uncool), so this has to go.

usually about £300-£350, i'm moving this on for £200...[/quote]

Hi Andy
Thanks for the offer, I'm still checking out exactly what I need for the job
Chris

[quote name='The Burpster' post='859521' date='Jun 7 2010, 07:50 AM']Chris,

Zoom MRT-3.

Works for us. Should be able to get one cheapish off t'bay, e.g.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoom-MRT3-drum-machine-mint-condition-/190400925967?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Drum_Machines_Grooveboxes&hash=item2c54c7910f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zoom-MRT3-drum-machi...=item2c54c7910f[/url]

If I wasnt using mine next weekend you could've borrowed it.[/quote]

Thanks Bob, I'll check them out
C

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='859670' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:18 AM']Chris,

I think I've got an MRT-3 lying around somewhere. It's so long since I've used it that I'm not sure if I actually have still got it. If I have I'm happy to send it down to you to use for the duration for postage. Do you want me to see if I can dig it out?

Mark[/quote]

That's a really kind offer Mark, many thanks. I think I'll probably need to buy one as it looks like we're going to be rehearsing as a band without a drummer quite a lot (the potential newbie lives about 100 miles away).

Chris

"That's a really kind offer Mark, many thanks. I think I'll probably need to buy one as it looks like we're going to be rehearsing as a band without a drummer quite a lot (the potential newbie lives about 100 miles away).

Chris"

No problem. Hope you find the drum machine of your dreams in the near future! I have to say that now I've been reminded about my own MRT-3 I think I'll dig it out anyway to get to grips with it so I can start demo-ing some stuff. So - thanks for posting in the first place!

Mark

[quote name='molan' post='860693' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:20 AM']Alesis SR 16 any good?

I've got one I don't need now as I'm running a PC based app instead.

It's in near perfect condition and cost me £50 a couple of months ago :)[/quote]

The SR16 is designed to be used live as well as in the studio. It should be all you need, great sounds and many of them, and is very user friendly. I've used them for years, had the original HR16 aswell. It should be exactly what you need, Chris.

£50 for an SR16 with box and manual and in very good, fully working condition is the right price.

[quote name='silddx' post='860826' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:36 AM']The SR16 is designed to be used live as well as in the studio. It should be all you need, great sounds and many of them, and is very user friendly. I've used them for years, had the original HR16 aswell. It should be exactly what you need, Chris.

£50 for an SR16 with box and manual and in very good, fully working condition is the right price.[/quote]Plus 2 to all of that.
HR16, what a brilliant sounding unit, SR16, size of a book, £50, buy it.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='861019' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:18 PM']Now it has been mentioned, I've been considering a drum machine for a while now, mainly for practice but also for some recording.

Would the SR16 fit the bill?

I know it's a pretty old design, but it must also be pretty good to still be in production.[/quote]
It's perfect for both.

It really is a great drum machine. I love mine.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='861012' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:09 PM']Plus 2 to all of that.
HR16, what a brilliant sounding unit, SR16, size of a book, £50, buy it.[/quote]
The HR16 was ace! I had mine chipped which made it even better. The sounds were superb.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='861019' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:18 PM']Now it has been mentioned, I've been considering a drum machine for a while now, mainly for practice but also for some recording.

Would the SR16 fit the bill?

I know it's a pretty old design, but it must also be pretty good to still be in production.[/quote]

The SR16 is great and I have used it for drummerless rehersals before. Make sure you get a pedal so you can insert a fill (just so long the timing is right!)

[quote name='mep' post='861561' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:07 PM']The SR16 is great and I have used it for drummerless rehersals before. Make sure you get a pedal so you can insert a fill (just so long the timing is right!)[/quote]
The pedals are a fun extra, but by no means necessary. I just programme the drums with the fills in already.

Sorry mep, not criticising, just making it clear that the pedal is for live applications and for a specific way of using the SR16. Didn't want people to think it was necessary to have one.

[quote name='silddx' post='861099' date='Jun 8 2010, 03:29 PM']The HR16 was ace! I had mine chipped which made it even better. The sounds were superb.[/quote]

HR16 is a classic - wish I still had mine! :)

I like my Zoom MRT-3, though think the SR-16 is equally good.

Used to use an SR16 quite happily for live gigs during summer season at Butlitz Holiday camp ( the drummer went to college on a Monday afternoon) An excellent machine.

Currently use the DR880 in a studio setting only, would recommend one to anybody.

If ur on a budget get the Alesis but if u can afford it get the Boss.

BB

All of the above is true! Yes, our drummer did manage to get into college!

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='Beedster' post='857708' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:32 PM']We're going to be drummerless for about 6 weeks, and need to work on new material with an easy to programme but relatively realistic sounding machine. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris[/quote]

Are you learning covers?

Here's a suggestion for you. Use a laptop - downlaod a free DAW such as Reaper and a free Midi Drum plug in then go searching the net for MIDI files of the songs you are learning.

Once imported in to Reaper you can assign the drum plug in to the drums on the MIDI track - mute the other instruments and play along with the preprogrammed parts. You *could* if you then wanted, fill out your songs by adding other virtual instruments to the other tracks (if available) to included, say, keyboard parts!

Just an idea if you are that way inclined.

I use Reaper and also Toontrack's Superior 2 - which may be a bit outside of your budget - but there are plenty of free plugins availble - the in built kit in Cubase SX2 for example (and other versions) isn't too shabby for rehearsing with.

[quote name='silddx' post='861565' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:11 PM']The pedals are a fun extra, but by no means necessary. I just programme the drums with the fills in already.

Sorry mep, not criticising, just making it clear that the pedal is for live applications and for a specific way of using the SR16. Didn't want people to think it was necessary to have one.[/quote]

No Probs silddx. I used the pedal only when I was playing a standard pattern and I wanted a fill. Sometimes you can't always programme the whole song with fills. You can also set the pedal to start & stop the song as well. The choice is his.

[quote name='mep' post='863594' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:47 PM']No Probs silddx. I used the pedal only when I was playing a standard pattern and I wanted a fill. Sometimes you can't always programme the whole song with fills. You can also set the pedal to start & stop the song as well. The choice is his.[/quote]

+1 For the MiDi route. You can then make the Drum Tracks into MP3 and Robert's your Whatsit. We do it all the time since we sacked our Drummer.
You can get some crackin MiDi files for free using a Midi search engine, (Van Basco) or the like.

[quote name='molan' post='860693' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:20 AM']Alesis SR 16 any good?

I've got one I don't need now as I'm running a PC based app instead.

It's in near perfect condition and cost me £50 a couple of months ago :)[/quote]
Are you offering it for sale?
PM sent.