Why become a member? ×

Playing bass wearing black silk gloves - for BETTER TONE

xilddx

Last week I ordered some of these thin black silk gloves like Etienne Mbappé uses. They arrived today. I tried them and to my total surprise they are amazing! They are so comfortable and feel really natural to play with. I can still play very fast riffs with total accuracy.

Now, I only bought them because I'm a slag and they look real sexy. Etienne wears them because he has massively acidic sweat and he kills his strings within the first three numbers of a set and he now swears by them. If you have this problem, I can't recommend them highly enough. I am really looking forward to playing a gig with them now!

These are the ones I got and I ordered a size smaller than my hands, I think - ie. small and my hands are about small/medium.
[url="http://www.jasminesilk.com/product_info.php?products_id=36"]http://www.jasminesilk.com/product_info.php?products_id=36[/url]

OK tell me which half of this is Gloves. I just recorded this tonight to give them a test.
[attachment=51281:01_Glove..._Gloves_.mp3]

How cool is this?!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='855496' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:34 PM']Last week I ordered some of these thin black silk gloves like Etienne Mbappé uses. They arrived today. I tried them and to my total surprise they are amazing! They are so comfortable and feel really natural to play with. I can still play very fast riffs with total accuracy.

Now, I only bought them because I'm a slag and they look real sexy. Etienne wears them because he has massively acidic sweat and he kills his strings within the first three numbers of a set and he now swears by them. If you have this problem, I can't recommend them highly enough. I am really looking forward to playing a gig with them now!

These are the ones I got and I ordered a size smaller than my hands, I think - ie. small and my hands are about small/medium.
[url="http://www.jasminesilk.com/product_info.php?products_id=36"]http://www.jasminesilk.com/product_info.php?products_id=36[/url]

How cool is this?!
[/quote]

Are you on glue ? :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='855549' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:31 PM']Are you on glue ? :)[/quote]
No, Nigel's in good company:

[quote]A few other things you may consider taking along with you to gigs are: a flashlight for working in the dark, sandpaper (coarse and fine grit), extra screws, pick holders that attach to your guitar, an amplifier cover, [b]and if you're a bassist, a pair of thin gloves (many bass players have told me its easier to play with gloves on)[/b].
[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_guitarists_toolbox.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the...ts_toolbox.html[/url][/quote]

Although, it seems not everyone agrees:

[quote]Valos_Atreide :
Good article.. did not know that about thing gloves for bass.. Ill have to give that a shot.

Smashing Aztec :
yeah i'll have to try the glove thing too - does any one know any good kinds of glove for playing bass? if so please tell me

ithilien046 :
dont get gloves for playing bass, just build up better callouses, which you can do by playing more often. sure, the idea of using gloves to make it hurt your fingers less is a logical idea, but you can't get the same kind of nuances with gloves that you can with your fingers. just my opinion[/quote]

Oh Noes! Must get these!

I assemble computers for a 'living' and although gloves are available for all i am the only one in the whole factory who wears them (cos I dont want my dainty bass playing digits cut to shreds) hence forth I am ridiculed constantly as being a 'horses hoof'! Whatever that may mean!

It is all in good fun..........no, wait a minute, I think I might punch someones lights out tomorrow!

They will go with my new hat anyway............

BB

[quote name='hitchy64' post='855559' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:47 PM']I can see why he wears them, but it's not very rock n' roll is it. :)
You'd look a bit of a twat playing in them really lol[/quote]
You're kidding right? The are the coolest, sexiest thing out!

I've added a recording I just did to see if you can tell the difference .. Gloves or no Gloves, in the OP.

[quote name='silddx' post='855564' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:50 PM']You're kidding right? The are the coolest, sexiest thing out!

I've added a recording I just did to see if you can tell the difference .. Gloves or no Gloves, in the OP.[/quote]
It was either the first half or the second half. Other than that I couldn't tell. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='855576' date='Jun 3 2010, 12:13 AM']This shouldn't be allowed. Except for bassists who are allergic to strings - they should be allowed to wear gloves that keep the strings off them.

But otherwise, no. This is bad and someone should put a stop to it before it catches on.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='silddx' post='855564' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:50 PM']You're kidding right? The are the coolest, sexiest thing out![/quote]
Sorry Nigel, no! Its plain wrong. Its like Thierry Henry pulling his socks half way up his thighs - there may be some logic but ... NO

[quote name='hitchy64' post='855559' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:47 PM']I can see why he wears them, but it's not very rock n' roll is it. :)
You'd look a bit of a twat playing in them really lol[/quote]

Nice to see we have some open minded people here... :rolleyes:

I interviewed Etienne recently and he's a lovely guy and really not the sort of person who would wear gloves for any other reason than he said that within three songs the sweat from his hands kills his strings dead - and as for the logic of this - inspite of what they might look like - is that the gloves will give you the perfect 'dry' tone and if anything extra punch and nice muted attack - like he gets here (nice bass llines at the end of this clip):

Mike

• Like 1