Why become a member? ×

Playing bass wearing black silk gloves - for BETTER TONE

xilddx

My set of gloves arrived today.!!!

I agree with silddx!
Not only do they make you look a sexy slag when playing bass, they sound totally natural.

When wearing both, it does sound choked slightly in the (very) high registers, noticable to me with my young ears. However taking the plucking hand glove off and keeping the fretted hand gloved (such as scott on that basslessons website) it's like you arnt wearing anything at all. Seriously.

As per silddx's advicxe I brouight the size smaller than what was recommended, it's a very tight fit but not uncomfortable, the issue is that the recess for each fingers doesn't reach as far down into mine and when stretching with the fingers you can feel a pull, however you will find that you wont have to strecth that much unless you are using maybe a 6'er. I will still go ahead and buy the "small" next time to see if the fit is better.

All in all, I'm very impressed and its deffinatly put a smile on my face, inbvetween this crap weather we have had.

I will record with them as examples for you guys to hear.
With my warwick (new strings) and the Sterling (very very dead strings), both with them both on and then furst fretted hand and then no gloves.
Also take some pics and be a sexy bass slag.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1325753023' post='1486964']
Good to hear they are working for some of you. I've used them for almost every gig since I started this thread. I forget I'm wearing them most of the time and they feel great to play in.

Long live Audrey Hepburn :D
[/quote]

they must be a good fit. (no too tight [i]or[/i] too lose) I have tried playing in fingerless gloves and find it almost impossible.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325753241' post='1486969']
they must be a good fit. (no too tight [i]or[/i] too lose) I have tried playing in fingerless gloves and find it almost impossible.
[/quote]

You are quite right, Daz. Mine are like a second skin.

I think Nigel's demo was the first half with gloves. The 2nd half has a slight more edge, top end fret noise.

Don't fancy the gloves thing myself but would try if cold hands became a problem.
I've tried various odds and sodds over the years to get a specific sound like covering a pick with denim to dull the attack and make it sound more like my fingers.
On hindsight i should have just used my fingers. Would have been easier.

Nice little bass runs too. Quite enjoyed that.
Etienne's was too flash and a bit overkill. No soul - just a lot of very fast notes that i can't play. :lol: :lol: :P

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1325976915' post='1490721']
I think Nigel's demo was the first half with gloves. The 2nd half has a slight more edge, top end fret noise.

Don't fancy the gloves thing myself but would try if cold hands became a problem.
I've tried various odds and sodds over the years to get a specific sound like covering a pick with denim to dull the attack and make it sound more like my fingers.
On hindsight i should have just used my fingers. Would have been easier.

Nice little bass runs too. Quite enjoyed that.
Etienne's was too flash and a bit overkill. No soul - just a lot of very fast notes that i can't play. :lol: :lol: :P

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]
Thanks Dave.

IIRC the second half was gloves.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1275560638' post='855877']
Actually, *I* kill strings very quickly too, especially at gigs. I love the 'new string' tone and find that after the first set, the strings will have gone dull, by the end of the night, dead!

So, anything that can keep my hands dry, or keeps the sweat off the strings seems like a good idea to me. But then, I'm far more open minded than most and am not dragged down by fashion or what looks cool. It's utilitarian. I do utilitarian! (Well - with the exception that both of my Shukers are GORGEOUS looking basses ha ha ha - but, that was second to playability.)
[/quote]

Haven't you got a Rotosound endorsement Dood - if so then I'm impressed you can get a set to last longer than a soundcheck :)

Unfortunatly I havent got round to doing any recording with them, all work and no play Mrs. wants entertaining and my finger tips are killing me!

However, the strings still sound new! So I'm still very happy with them, although the tips on the fretting hand look burnt out already, I did do a 2 hour rehearsal and have practiced an hour a day since they arrived.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326041801' post='1491447']
Unfortunatly I havent got round to doing any recording with them, all work and no play Mrs. wants entertaining and my finger tips are killing me!

However, the strings still sound new! So I'm still very happy with them, although the tips on the fretting hand look burnt out already, I did do a 2 hour rehearsal and have practiced an hour a day since they arrived.
[/quote]
Which brand of gloves did you buy mate?

I've burnt a hole in them after a week.

Although again I play at least an hour a day, more over weekends. So they've had best part of 20 hours use. They sound great though so if I was to keep using them it may just be on long ass recording sessions and rehearsals where the sweat really rains off me. The band don't want me to use them live, even though they are sexy as hell.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326320300' post='1495567'] I've burnt a hole in them after a week. Although again I play at least an hour a day, more over weekends. So they've had best part of 20 hours use. They sound great though so if I was to keep using them it may just be on long ass recording sessions and rehearsals where the sweat really rains off me. [b]The band don't want me to use them live, even though they are sexy as hell[/b]. [/quote]
Tell them to f*** off.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1325982185' post='1490795']
Scott Devine wears gloves lik these as well but his reason is because he has some sort of neural problem (I think) and the gloves help him to overcome this.
[/quote]

I was going to reference Scott Devine. There is an explanation of 'the glove' on his website.

I've never played in gloves, but I tried a woolly scarf once. I found it actually kept my neck really warm.

Oh yes, it did. And my mum thought it was sensible.