Why become a member? ×

Best value/lightweight/great tone combo

Musicman20

What is everyones ideal features for a combo amp?

When I was younger, I was quite happy to sell my Trace combo for a Trace Amp Head/Cab setup. Great, it meant I could just take my amp to certain gig!

Im still liking the idea of separates. Im happy with my amp/cabs, and I have no need for a combo, but I always end up looking at them.

It would HAVE to be:

Small
Light
Great clear tone (as it wont be used to for loud rock bands, Id like it to be very clear and crisp)
iPod input
Ability to play small gigs (against a quiet drummer)
Good value

Now, there is no need to vote for the Mesa Walkabout. We all know they are fantastic.

Clarky did have a topic up a while back which was similar, but I thought I start something a little different.

I think the GK MB combos look great. I wasnt exactly stunned by the Genz Shuttle 9.0, but I can see the advantages of the Shuttle 6 Combo. Then, there is obviously Markbass.

Any other ideas?

What works for you for small gigs and home practice?

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='854289' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:59 PM']Now, there is no need to vote for the Mesa Walkabout. We all know they are fantastic.[/quote]
Oh, OK.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='854289' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:59 PM']It would HAVE to be:

Small
Light
Great clear tone (as it wont be used to for loud rock bands, Id like it to be very clear and crisp)
iPod input
Ability to play small gigs (against a quiet drummer)
Good value

What works for you for small gigs and home practice?[/quote]
Phil Jones Bass Briefcase

Small - yes
Light - yes
Great clear tone - yes
iPod input - no, but does have headphone out
Ability to play small gigs - yes, as long as the drummer understands the word small
Good value - maybe

And also runs on a battery if you want to busk in the street.

Edited by EssentialTension

I tried agroupuk's Shuttle 3.0 combo and it was unbelievable for the size and weight, literally felt like holding an empty box! Couldn't believe they managed to sneak a speaker in there!
Not hugely loud and no really deep bass but enough for a quiet gig i'd imagine, especially if you have another cab to leave in the van. The Shuttle 6.0 combo would be worth trying out.
I'd happily stick it in a rucksack and cycle/walk/use public transport to get to a gig.

The Promethean's look great (good prices too), the head slides out like on the Genz which is handy.

Also worth considering the Genz/Ibanez mini cabs seeing as you're already spoilt for choice in the lightweight head department. Can be had for £280:
[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-p110c-promethean-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet--64358"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-p110c-...-cabinet--64358[/url]

The Genz stuff is very expensive in comparison to the Ibanez gear i think

[quote name='matski' post='854529' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:01 AM']How about the TC Electronics Combo 450 - it's the RH450 and the 2x10 all in one handy box (with a handle and wheels...)

www.tcelectronic.com/combo450.asp[/quote]
These look great but ouch-y price though, about £1300, and I doubt you will find any s/h yet, whereas you can pick up a used Mesa Walkabout for £700-800

Despite being a proud Walkabout Scout owner, I'm actually wondering a similar thing, too.

The RH450 and a single Berg HS210 sounds so lovely, it's actually pretty much displaced my Scout as my preferred 'rehearsal / small gig' setup.

So.. I'm thinking of letting the Scout go, and getting something more of a one-hand carry for acoustic rehearsals and open mics.

Thinking out loud...

If TC did a 1x10 combo based on the RH450, I'd be all over it like a rash.

I've thought about the Phil Jones stuff, but I've read VERY mixed reviews about the smaller boxes. The Super Flightcase looks interesting, though.

The Markbass CMD 112P seems ideal - I can plug another cab into it if I need to, too - but it's ugly (in my opinion) and furry. It's still the current favourite, though.

The Ibanez Promentheans have got me interested (especially the removable head, just in case something happens to the TC), but I'd like to try one first.

The Genz Shuttles just don't do it for me.

But, as I mentioned in another thread, trying these after the Scout is probably going to feel like having an ear cut off. ha ha.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='854542' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:16 AM']The Markbass CMD 112P seems ideal - I can plug another cab into it if I need to, too - but it's ugly (in my opinion) and furry. It's still the current favourite, though.[/quote]
I used to have Markbass Jeff Berlin combo. Apart from the fact I had an unaccountable urge to pull the waistband of my jeans up to my chest and wear hi-tops, it was too clean sounding for me. There is no warmth in these amps IMHO, even if you play with the filters. If you love valvey-ness then these will not do it for you unless you have a pre-amp running into it (which increases complexity and cost)

I'm also looking in to a lightweight rig. My current option would be a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 with a Bergantino AE112 but where i live that kind of gear does't turn up! I'm hoping this thread would be useful to find my rig. Keep posting the stuff you've tried and your impressions.

The only lightweight rig i've tried was a SWR Headlite with Markbass NY (4x6) plus NY (1x12) and it sounded great. Lots of bottom end but not much definition for my taste... needless to say that it is as light as a feather :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='854542' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:16 AM']Despite being a proud Walkabout Scout owner, I'm actually wondering a similar thing, too.

The RH450 and a single Berg HS210 sounds so lovely, it's actually pretty much displaced my Scout as my preferred 'rehearsal / small gig' setup.

So.. I'm thinking of letting the Scout go, and getting something more of a one-hand carry for acoustic rehearsals and open mics.

Thinking out loud...

If TC did a 1x10 combo based on the RH450, I'd be all over it like a rash.

I've thought about the Phil Jones stuff, but I've read VERY mixed reviews about the smaller boxes. The Super Flightcase looks interesting, though.

The Markbass CMD 112P seems ideal - I can plug another cab into it if I need to, too - but it's ugly (in my opinion) and furry. It's still the current favourite, though.

The Ibanez Promentheans have got me interested (especially the removable head, just in case something happens to the TC), but I'd like to try one first.

The Genz Shuttles just don't do it for me.

But, as I mentioned in another thread, trying these after the Scout is probably going to feel like having an ear cut off. ha ha.[/quote]

Im with you on this WoT. There is little point in a TC combo for me as its basically what Ive already got with a space in the cab for the amp.

I did look into the Walkabout for a long time, but I could never get t test one out. Needless to say, now I think one would be unnecessary for me as I get enough warmth/tube warmth from my Orange and RH450, (yes, a digital amp thats very very warm!). It would also not be a small light option. It would almost be the same as taking the LM3 and an RS210.

What im looking for is a super awesome small-ish and light combo, the emphasis on the light for once with me.

I too look into Phil Jones, but I dont think its exactly what Im looking for. I can see why they are popular, but Id rather the combo be a 1x12.

The Markbass combos are the only ones that seem to tick all the boxes. The CMD121P seems very popular, but not so much love for the CMD121H...which is odd as the 121H isnt the piezo which no one seems to like. Maybe the 121H is too large? I cant tell from the pictures. I know Markbass isnt tubey, but its warm and clear compared to most amps in that range so Id be interested in trying them.

The Shuttle Combos seems like a good idea, but I doubt id ever get on with the Genz tone. I also think the pricing is quite high for a combo.

[quote name='Clarky' post='854547' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:20 AM']I used to have Markbass Jeff Berlin combo. Apart from the fact I had an unaccountable urge to pull the waistband of my jeans up to my chest and wear hi-tops, it was too clean sounding for me. There is no warmth in these amps IMHO, even if you play with the filters. If you love valvey-ness then these will not do it for you unless you have a pre-amp running into it (which increases complexity and cost)[/quote]

I must admit, the JB combo was definitely on my list of combos to try out. I had a look in Soundslive, and the only problem I can see is the size.

Edited by Musicman20

If you want the best bass combo then you're going to have to buy a Trace V-type.

Not your average ladies lightweight, I'll have half a shandy combos there, just pure grunt and one of the best sounds I have ever had, certainly the best of any combo I've used:

1) Twin valve preamp - none of your pretend one valve warmth nonsense or Ashdown grind knob - this will overdrive to buggery
2) Its a Trace Elliot so its louder than it says it is and reliable as they come
3) It has one of the simplest but easiest to get a fantastic sound preamps I've ever used
4) Linking a 1518 cab to it will have the back of your trousers flapping
5) Its manly
)0 it has a line in for your iPod

There are others who will back me up on this but this is, of course, my own personal opinion on combos.

Edited by Delberthot

Don't see that this has to be a combo...just a decent 12" cab with a horn and a light amp..and anything upto 20lbs is light IMV.

Should give you a set-up to could produce 500watss with another 12" cab added.
Which is what a lot of people are doing with Bergs and Aguilar kit and various amps.

I have a Markbass 121P and it is a decent and loud combo for rehearsals and small pubs. Weighs about 29 lbs.

I also have a Barefaced Midget and LM II amp. The Midget and LM II weighs in at about 26 lbs so it's lighter than the 121P. It's also easier to carry due to the shape.

The big difference is in the sound, with the Midget sounding much bigger, louder and deeper than the 121P.

Both are decent rigs but the Midget would be easily the better of the two.

And since you already own a LM 3............ :)

Frank.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='854542' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:16 AM']If TC did a 1x10 combo based on the RH450, I'd be all over it like a rash.[/quote]

I emailed TC to ask if they have anything like this in the pipeline, still waiting to hear back...

Eude

[quote name='machinehead' post='860570' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:03 AM']I have a Markbass 121P and it is a decent and loud combo for rehearsals and small pubs. Weighs about 29 lbs.

I also have a Barefaced Midget and LM II amp. The Midget and LM II weighs in at about 26 lbs so it's lighter than the 121P. It's also easier to carry due to the shape.

The big difference is in the sound, with the Midget sounding much bigger, louder and deeper than the 121P.

Both are decent rigs but the Midget would be easily the better of the two.

And since you already own a LM 3............ :)

Frank.[/quote]

Very interesting to hear this. I'm contemplating a Midget with an LMII or RH450 but was a wee bit worried about the 'bigness' or otherwise of the sound. Reassuring.

[quote name='lojo' post='870091' date='Jun 17 2010, 06:23 PM']Find a lightweight speaker you like and nail a RH450 to the top of it :)[/quote]

I agree. A lightweight amp, about 500watts and a lightweight cab. Should end up overall a lighter weight and more convenient shape to carry.

Plus, you have the option of adding another identical cab for bigger gigs.

Lots of good gear out there to choose from, dependiing on your sound preferences.

Frank.

[quote name='lojo' post='870091' date='Jun 17 2010, 06:23 PM']Find a lightweight speaker you like and nail a RH450 to the top of it :)[/quote]

Yup! My home & easy-carry rig is now an RH450 with a Genz Benz STL-10T cab - light but wicked sounding. Very happy with this!

How about a Roland D-bass combo: [url="http://www.roland.com/products/en/D-BASS_115/"]http://www.roland.com/products/en/D-BASS_115/[/url]

Light (22kgs), small (ish), powerful (330W), reliable, can easily extend with a D-bass 115x cabinet. I use one for all our small and medium pub and club gigs, only having to use the extension cab for audiences of more than 100 people. I was lucky - bought mine as an ex-demo model with warranty 2 years ago for £300, and they still do sell for this occasionally (Andertons, I think). On balance the tone seems to be a little more towards the bright rather than boomy end, (but that may be my playing style - I'm always told to turn up the bass tone no matter what guitar or amp I'm using). In any case, you just switch it to "Vintage" if you want boom-thud. If anybody wants to come round and try it out - just let me know.

Steve