Why become a member? ×

BBC on Bass

bubinga5

Spotted this and it frickin annoyed me...why do they let people like Lauren Lavern have any opinion on something she knows nothing about...

Its funny the whole program is based on Rock and there opinions of a bassist is from that, ....Because if they ever saw Randy Taylor or Victor Wooten play they might change there stupid f***in opinions..

its strange how commentators who apparently know about music are so badly informed?

Why is when a program like this comes up its ALWAYS about rock???

excuse the rant

Edited by bubinga5

I think we already decerned from the other thread about the show "I'm in a rock and roll band" that the public don't care about bass, and in reality they don't care about the guitar the lead guitarist uses or why he uses a certian OD than another, or why he uses a churos in a particular song.

The program is for the masses, which we arnt.
The masses want light entertainment. They want to hear about the one time the lead guitarist fell out with singer because he stole his sausage roll. Or that the singer is a huge drama queen and threw a fit becuase the ham was too big for the bread on his sandwhiches.....

I think it's time to move on.

You want to watch and hear about bass. There is here, bass guitar magazine, here, talkbass, guitargeek, YouTube oh and here.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='849024' date='May 26 2010, 11:12 PM']Spotted this and it frickin annoyed me...why do they let people like Lauren Lavern have any opinion on something she knows nothing about...[/quote]

not that I want to excuse her being on tv every five minutes, but why does she know nothing about it? How many of us have had a top ten debut album...?

I'm afraid the BBC's record on decent music programs (outside of actual performance progs like Later) is very poor, so I was unsurprised by how crap it was. Their music programs of this ilk are either stupid bits of fluff like I'm In A Rock And Roll Band (Miss Laverne's prescence really made no difference to what was a waste of airtime) or extremely dull and presented by Alan Yentob (snore) puntuated with TOTP clips from the 60's and 70's, there have been many of these. The only decent documentary the Beeb has shown recently was the 4 hour film on Tom Petty which they had nothing to do with it's production.

Y'know, I didn't see that programme but I can guess it was pretty low-level and aimed at Joe Public, rather than hardened musos like ourselves. If you want to hear about bass players, log onto Basschat. BBC1 isn't really the place.

Seriously, get over it. :)

As for the BBC, I think we should be proud of it.

I don't know if they had any input into the Tom Petty documentary, but in any event they bought it, and showed it. It's FOUR HOURS long.

I do know they part-funded the Neil Young documentary, Don't Be Denied. And they have a load of other stuff on there, too.

We also get the benefit of their archives.

The alternative? SKY and ITV. Be very afraid.

Also, I like Lauren Laverne. She's been there and done that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='849134' date='May 27 2010, 08:22 AM']Y'know, I didn't see that programme but I can guess it was pretty low-level and aimed at Joe Public, rather than hardened musos like ourselves. If you want to hear about bass players, log onto Basschat. BBC1 isn't really the place.

Seriously, get over it. :)[/quote]

My thinking precisely

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='849134' date='May 27 2010, 08:22 AM']Also, I like Lauren Laverne. She's been there and done that.[/quote]

+1 on that as well!

[quote name='bassace' post='849180' date='May 27 2010, 09:31 AM']And Jazz 625[/quote]

Not a BBC show I admit, but bring back The Tube. apart (possibly) from the OGWT, this was the only show that would let Mark King go onstage to do a slap solo or open my mind to the superb Stanley Jordan playing Eleanor Rigby (if I recall).

As for the OP - I tend to laugh at programmes which do not have a true reflectionion of the various genre's of music and musicians out there. It's obviously a shame that "Joe Public" are not seeing more than pop or rock, but obviously the programme makers feel that's where the largest audience is.

Just repeat to yourself that you're special and unique and therefore your view of things are not neccesarily the same those of Joe Public et al.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='849134' date='May 27 2010, 08:22 AM']Also, I like Lauren Laverne. She's been there and done that.[/quote]
Really?
Kenickie were a sh*t band who were vaguely famous (if you were a student at the time) for a couple of weeks when it was the in thing to have a female fronted indie band (see Sleeper, Lush & a load of other useless guff from that time).

I actually enjoyed the programme, taking it in the light hearted way it was intended. But why have somebody like her, who is so blatantly anti-musician, commenting on a programme about musicians.
All she does is sneer, and that's what pisses me off about her.

Music was of so little importance to her that she stopped doing it as soon everybody lost interest in her band, and became a (not very good) TV presenter.

It sucks balls

If I want to watch a program about music I tend to look for anything by Howard Goodall, the BBC are far too happy to use a bunch of 'celebrity' presenter types with absolutely no knowledge of the subject at all, who are then paraded as 'experts'.

Yes it was lighthearted, but it was and will remain utter sh**e IMO, not just as a result of the bassist bit (what no Bootsty!) but every part was just shockingly narrow minded and limited.

BBC and music, my arse!

I love bits of the Beeb, more on the radio side but they do still make SOME good programs but BBC3 is piss poor and aside from Later with Jools, has NO new music shows, anything outside ratings grabbing bollox like Somewhere Over the Rainbow or very rock/pop/iindie biased festival coverage there's no alternative... so what do you expect a BBC look at bass playing was going to be like? I think the tendancy is to want to look and sound tendy and ironic about music, it was a tongue in cheek look at a 'fantasy' rock band and so all the jokes were to be expected, yes it is dissapointing but no more dissapointing than their other music coverage is, I mean the current state of things makes Top Of The Pops look adventurous...

[quote name='urb' post='849228' date='May 27 2010, 10:28 AM']I love bits of the Beeb, more on the radio side but they do still make SOME good programs but BBC3 is piss poor and aside from Later with Jools, has NO new music shows, anything outside ratings grabbing bollox like Somewhere Over the Rainbow or very rock/pop/iindie biased festival coverage there's no alternative... so what do you expect a BBC look at bass playing was going to be like? I think the tendancy is to want to look and sound tendy and ironic about music, it was a tongue in cheek look at a 'fantasy' rock band and so all the jokes were to be expected, yes it is dissapointing but no more dissapointing than their other music coverage is, I mean the current state of things makes Top Of The Pops look adventurous...[/quote]
I think it must depend on what you're into. BBC3 has some mint roots, folk and country stuff, but if you're not into that it must be pretty depressing...

+1 Urb.

I tend to jump through their music shows in 3-4 minute intervals til I find something I like. Jools usually has one, maybe two acts I want to watch (like when they had the Foo Fighters, or Metallica, or Bobby McFerrin)... and I generally find the live mix to be pretty poor on Jools. I do like the BBC's archive footage though, like guitar heroes live on the BBC. The last one had Hendrix at the start and AC/DC right at the end. They also had Fleetwood and Thin Lizzie in the middle. Some glorious moments in rock history there :)

It was what it was, a light entertainment programme aimed at a general TV audience. The choice of artists had to reflect the musical tastes of those watching, who wouldn't have a clue who Bootsy Collins was, let alone Victor Wooten or Jaco Pastorius.