Why become a member? ×

So, if you were having a custom precision made, what would you do differently to Leo.....?

Beedster

Somewhere in darkest north east England there is a very pretty piece of ash with my name on it. It's shaped, coincidentally enough, like a Precision bass. So, I have a blank Precision body, and although I'll be more than happy to let the builder in question do everything pretty much as Leo did 60 years ago, I'm considering a few minor deviations from the traditional. Anyone got any interesting ideas?

Chris

if you took the amount of basses ive owned, times it by the amount of basses i've played and then added the number of basses i've ever seen, i still think ive seen you sell more than that on here over the past few years!
Look at what you've kept and copy the best bits of them.
The best thing about my P bass is the chiming full tone it has, try and get that sound?

[quote name='JTUK' post='840591' date='May 18 2010, 10:17 AM']I'd put a jazz pup at the rear, have a nice neck scanned to fit as per your favourite and then RW blocked (MoP) and bound with a nice tobacco sunburst and black plate.[/quote]

+1, at least the RW Blocked/Bound neck.

Sunburst and brown tort....

I wouldnt have anything fancy electronics wise, unless its very very subtle. A P bass is exactly what it should be; simple with great tone

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='840666' date='May 18 2010, 11:34 AM']Oh lord. Don't tell me you've got your hands on a router and have set up as a custom builder... :)[/quote]
A router? What's a router?

I've got a couple of kitchen knives and a sharpened spoon, and it's going OK so far...

I would say the only improvements I'd add would be a 3 string tree, simple preamp (no extra tone control required, just to ensure a strong output), a bridge that doesn't take the skin off your knuckles if you so much as look at it, and a D tuner.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='840669' date='May 18 2010, 11:37 AM']A router? What's a router?

I've got a couple of kitchen knives and a sharpened spoon, and it's going OK so far...[/quote]
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120569468799"]Looks like you've already finished.[/url] Are you [i]sure[/i] you sharpened the spoon?

[size=1]Erm, sorry for the thread hijack.[/size]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='840676' date='May 18 2010, 11:40 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120569468799"]Looks like you've already finished.[/url] Are you [i]sure[/i] you sharpened the spoon?[/quote]

Oooh.. that one looks a bit like a real bass. How did he do that? Clever clogs.

[size=1]Erm, sorry for the thread hijack.[/size]

Access to the truss rod at the headstock, ADG string retainer, better bridge than the BBoT, MAYBE wire it straight to jack (but i dont have any Precision experience so dont know how that would sound compared to V/T) and thats all i can think of at the moment... But im sure it will be a great bass!

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='840724' date='May 18 2010, 12:16 PM']Access to the truss rod at the headstock[/quote]
I much prefer the Music Man wheel-thing down at the heel. You can adjust the truss rod with pretty much anything, as long as it fits in the holes. No need to find the right Allen key!

[quote name='yorick' post='840731' date='May 18 2010, 12:21 PM']Stingray type truss rod adjustment and a piezo saddled bridge, with associated electrical gubbins.[/quote]

+1 for the piezo bridge. Is it gonne be a fretless?

Can't wait to get my piezo equipped fretless back, my tech's taking ages with it but it'll be worth it

Hi Chris,

For me, on a P, would like to see:
Graphite reinforced neck,
Flatter 'board radius (9.5 - 10"),
Lighter weight modern tuners,
Easy truss rod access in the form of a bigger channel routed in the body (Lakland style),
Through body stringing bridge with top load option (Badass 3/Fender HMV),
Slightly hotter p'up,
Quality Passive electronics.

Cheers,
Jon

edit: Spelling!

Edited by jonthebass