Why become a member? ×

Idiotic Comments

Doddy

So,I finished teaching tonight and before I left I helped a girl set the PA up in the rehearsal room,because she
obviously didn't have a clue even though she was only using a mic and a CD player.(Her mum
was there too,who was a bit of a no nothing,know it all-despite the girl being in her mid 20's). Anyway,we were talking and
she was telling me how she has been a pro singer for a few years and that she was looking for a pro band,so I asked her what
kind of thing she was looking to do(always after work y'know). She tells me that she want's to do a pop band and that she wants
guitar,drums and keys."What about Bass?" I asked,only to be told that she didn't want bass guitar because "It's too low for
my voice,so I only want a normal guitar" :)
So,she's a pro singer who doesn't know how to turn a PA on,and has no idea about what a bass does.

She was indeed an idiot.

[quote name='Doddy' post='829240' date='May 6 2010, 01:20 AM']So,I finished teaching tonight and before I left I helped a girl set the PA up in the rehearsal room,because she
obviously didn't have a clue even though she was only using a mic and a CD player.(Her mum
was there too,who was a bit of a no nothing,know it all-despite the girl being in her mid 20's). Anyway,we were talking and
she was telling me how she has been a pro singer for a few years and that she was looking for a pro band,so I asked her what
kind of thing she was looking to do(always after work y'know). She tells me that she want's to do a pop band and that she wants
guitar,drums and keys."What about Bass?" I asked,only to be told that she didn't want bass guitar because "It's too low for
my voice,so I only want a normal guitar" :)
So,she's a pro singer who doesn't know how to turn a PA on,and has no idea about what a bass does.

She was indeed an idiot.[/quote]

Actually it sounds like an opportunity to offer some classes in "basic PA setting up for mothers and daughters" and " the fundimentals of a band"

[quote name='cheddatom' post='829326' date='May 6 2010, 09:15 AM']It's nothing specific to music. Loads of people speak with authority on things they know absolutely nothing about. God knows why, and I wish they'd stop![/quote]

Quite agree!
And as someone who knows nothing, I speak with great authority all the time! :)

Reminds me of a song:-

Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools
Well, all you have to lose is your virginity
Perhaps we'll have some fun tonight
So stick around and take a bite of life
We don't need feebleness in this proximity.....

[quote name='cheddatom' post='829326' date='May 6 2010, 09:15 AM']It's nothing specific to music. Loads of people speak with authority on things they know absolutely nothing about. God knows why, and I wish they'd stop![/quote]

Couldn't agree more!

I was thinking about this last night. Music and bettering ones musical skills seems to be one of those areas that people abandon critical thinking. Like any other skill, it requires you to learn the best way(s) to do things, different schools of thought, weigh these things up, practice, use critical feedback, assess your progress, work on trouble areas, and do this consistently and continually.

But no. We get 'musicians' who want to be a singing/guitar god/goddess without learning scales, timing, rhythm (i.e. theory!), technique, how to read charts, how to read music, the roles of other instruments, and without practice... and aspire to be like other talentless celebs with similar qualities (or lack of quality).

Stupid culture.

I work with a girl (I play g***ar, she sings) & she knows very little about music.
If she can't sing the key it's in she always gets the direction backwards, eg: if she wants me to go down a key she asks me to go up & knows ziltch about theory in any form whatsoever.
But she's got a good voice & is a nice girl so I usually just ask her to sing & then I find her key (which 8 times out of 10 is Eb).

Singing isn't the same as learning an instrument, you don't need to learn any theory and you don't have any equipment apart from your voice.

I know guitarists who can't re-string a guitar after playing for several years and couldn't play you any scale if their life depended on it. To me, that's far more disappointing than someone who doesn't use equipment not being able to use a PA.

As for the comment about bass being too low, she doesn't sound like the kind of person who'll be able to make it as a band leader anyway, so someone who is capable should correct her if she ever gets to that point. I doubt she'll find a pro band that'll play without some kind of bass instrument anyway.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey