Why become a member? ×

"So Darling exactly how many Basses have you had?" The dreaded question...

Old Horse Murphy

I was talking with my other half about Basses earlier today and the conversation turned in to a "how many basses have you owned" conversation. I decided to have a wracking-my-brain session and this I'm ashamed to say is what I came up with....

Including my 2 current basses, I have owned 46 basses in my time which is quite frankly disgusting, especially considering how much I've spent on them.
I have also owned 3 combos, 6 amps and 13 cabs at one time or another.

Now, this is by no means a p*ssing contest but I would really like to know how many other basses people have owned in their time. In some ways, I would be more comforted by people who are more capricious and fickle than I am :)

I hasten to add too that prior to Basschat, I owned 7 basses in total............now that's scary!!

Same as you more or less 45 odd and I am down to 10 keepers. As for amps, you name it they've been in and out of these doors like punters in an Amsterdam knocking shop :) but I am down to two keepers a Trace Elliot Vintage valve combo and a Mark Bass Combo CMD102P modified with a Little Mark Tube head

I'm not doing too badly then, by the rest of youse :)

Peavey Milestone, then the BC SB441 which I'm selling now, then a Tanglewood semi (still got that one, signed by Duff McKagen), a Gibson Grabber copy (still got that one too, signed by Mani), a cheap-ass Tanglewood P-copy which I smashed to bits after a bad gig, a candy apple red Jazz, a black Precision, and the Squier Silver Series Jazz I've got now - so only eight in over ten years, not too bad!

I am guessing about 27, of which I have 5 left - sorry Nick I'm a bit of lightweight!

Around 15 were sold on BassChat and 4 sold on ebay, rest can't remember (as the list goes back to the late 70s/early 80s with my first bass, an Aria SB)

From what I can remember:
3 Ricks
1 Prosebass
1 Gibson
1 Aria
2 Ibanez
1 Alembic (still got)
1 Shuker
8 Fender Js (took a while to work out they're not for me!)
9 Fender Ps (have 4 still)

Edited by Clarky

I'm not bad for bass, just 4 - Peavey Milestone 1, Squier Musicmaster, Washburn Bantam, 78 Precision (current)

Just don't ask about amps, electric guitars or 12-string acoustics!

Funny, all my regrets from selling are amps, particularly my JCM800 bass head.

Andy :)

My current count is 7, of which only one is still with me:

1 Encore
2 Fenders
3 Statii
1 Bass Collection

I'm hoping to take it to 9 with the imminent addition of another Status, and perhaps a Lightwave. I'll probably have to lose my Fender if that's the case though...

[b]51[/b] total for me, excluding double basses and EUB's. Adding to the OP's other comment, I only had [b]9[/b] (in 19 years, one of them for 16 years!) before BC. Hmmm.......... :)

Breakdown is as follows...

12 Status-Graphite
10 Fender
8 Squier
5 Yamaha
3 Warwick
2 EBMM
1 SBMM
1 ACG
1 G&L
1 Epiphone
1 Washburn
1 Jackson
1 Hofner
1 Ibanez
1 Columbus
1 Hohner
1 OLP

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

In the 10 years I've been playing I've owned:

Washburn XB100
Ibanez BTB406QM
Brice HXB406 (moved on)
BC Rich Mockingbird
Warwick Thumb BO5

Amp wise, I've had a Carlsbro Bassline 150 until recently when I upgraded to a GK rig.

Same deal with guitars, only ever had a few workhorses. I get the sound I like from the instruments I have. :) Though, I could do with a better guitar amp, but I don't have the money to spend on a nice Mesa combo.

Mine's 26 since 1990...

Alembic - 2
Celinder - 3
Jaydee - 2
Modulus - 3
Musicman - 4
Pedulla - 2
Shuker - 1
Smith - 3
Spector - 3
Status -1
Warwick - 1

And a parts bass - 1

Almost all of those (apart from a Jaydee) have been bought since 2003. I could include two more before 1990 (Westone Spectrum II and a Sierra Precision). Amps get way too complicated when rack systems are included. But standalone heads include

Burman Pro4000 (x3)
Eden WT800
Gallien Krueger RB700 combo (x2)
Genz Benz Shuttle 6
Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ and Strategy 400
SWR Bass 350
Trace Elliot AH250 and V8