Why become a member? ×

Musical Geniuses

Pete Academy

If you write something and it becomes a number 1 hit, I don't think that it makes you a "genius"... it makes you good at song writing no doubt, maybe even just lucky...

"Genius" is a stupid throwaway term, I've used it a few times and it didn't particularly mean anything. If something is so "genius" why aren't you sitting back and enjoying it, and instead thinking of stupid adjectives for it?

This is a good thread, someone mentioned Jello Biafra for lyrics, could not agree more, Jack Bruce was pretty good, Peter Green had a very nice style, there are so many but I would say that it all depends on whether you like the sound and style of the song, I know people who cannot stand Hendrix and dont rate him, Rory Gallagher, Brian Setzer, Eddie Cochran, Robert Trujillo, there are so many very talented players out there, who is to say if there are any genius`s amongst them ?
Is genius defined by virtuosity on the instrument or the ability to write a nice simple melody ?

Its all down to opinions

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='819891' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:23 PM']This is a good thread, someone mentioned Jello Biafra for lyrics, could not agree more, Jack Bruce was pretty good, Peter Green had a very nice style, there are so many but I would say that it all depends on whether you like the sound and style of the song, I know people who cannot stand Hendrix and dont rate him, Rory Gallagher, Brian Setzer, Eddie Cochran, Robert Trujillo, there are so many very talented players out there, who is to say if there are any genius`s amongst them ?
Is genius defined by virtuosity on the instrument or the ability to write a nice simple melody ?

Its all down to opinions[/quote]

Exactly. Sometimes you think you're not too too shabby a player, then you listen to likes of Victor Wooten and suddenly feel insignificant.

We are not worthy.

James Jamerson.....

Listen to any tune he ever played on and I think what you hear is every single note being played in the right place at the right time. I reckon that kinda verges on genius.

In fact check out "Darling Dear", its real busy but every damn note is perfect......amazing.

Edited by notable9

I'm really struggling to think of someone musical who I regard as a genius. I can think of some great songwriters, drummers, guitarists, bass players even who are amazingly talented in there chosen field but a genius I really can't. I guess it depends of ones definition of a genius.

[quote name='Linus27' post='820130' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:44 PM']I'm really struggling to think of someone musical who I regard as a genius. I can think of some great songwriters, drummers, guitarists, bass players even who are amazingly talented in there chosen field but a genius I really can't. I guess it depends of ones definition of a genius.[/quote]
I don't think "genius" is the right word for what I think we're talking about here. Visionary seems more appropriate - people who have taken music in new & different directions, reinvented & redefined it.

Just my perspective, but I don't think instrumental virtuosity has much - if anything - to do with it, except I suppose the broader the vocabulary, the greater the scope for expression.

J.

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonius Monk
Louis Armstrong
Herbie Hancock

James Brown
Stevie Wonder
Prince

Pete Townsend
Kate Bush
Mark E Smith

sometimes it's genius to make more of the sum of the parts on hand.
all of these people could do that as well as having an original voice.
genius is also making simple things beautiful, the complex both vast and close and making the listener both appreciate the moment and then be inside it. If that music makes me live it now or if I can remember exactly my brain space when I first heard In a Silent Way that is truly genius.

[quote name='Wil' post='819843' date='Apr 26 2010, 07:44 PM']Tom Waits, a truely unconventional genius.[/quote]
What's he BUILDING in there!?

Love the guy. I own all his albums (legally too!)

I refer you to this tune by Howlett, my original post:

[quote name='bubinga5' post='816766' date='Apr 23 2010, 10:04 PM']sorry but i know i said genius is in the eye of the beholder but 'Gary Barlow'????[/quote]
This from the man who proposed Shakin' Stevens?

Dunno if there's an award for the most pointless thread on Basschat ever, but for my money this is a clear winner.

[quote name='pete.young' post='821193' date='Apr 27 2010, 09:13 PM']This from the man who proposed Shakin' Stevens?

Dunno if there's an award for the most pointless thread on Basschat ever, but for my money this is a clear winner.[/quote]

Speaking only as an occasional contributor, I quite like reading threads like this - I've listened and got into lots of music on the back of seeing what other people like, whatever form the question is dressed up as.

I even enjoy the occasional 'Adam Clayton is better than Jaco is better than Stanley Clarke whose tone is really rubbish' threads.

I should therefore throw my tuppence in:

Bass playing genius - Ray Brown, on the basis that, to my ear, his note selection, phasing and musicality is unreasonably perfect.

Jolie Holland - for writing 'Mexican Blue' on her third album.

George Clinton - for the whole thing about putting his sunglasses on in 'P-Funk'.

Mike Patton -- Fantastic vocal ability
Miles Davis -- "So What" is one of the most fantastic tracks ever (as is the whole "Kind of Blue" record)
Tony Royster Jr -- Child drum prodigy, now a fantastic session/live musician

Good ol' Victor!

But has no one mentioned Larry Graham? The man invented slap bass! (whether that's good or bad, you decide) That's definitely genious!