Why become a member? ×

Musical Geniuses

Pete Academy

There are people that are obviously very musically gifted. A friend of mine, who has co-written three songs on the new Robbie CD, including the new single, can play many instruments extremely proficiently.

We hear of people like Victor Wooten, who claims to have started to learn bass at 3 years old.

But who would you consider is a musical genius? The names Prince and Stevie Wonder are often mentioned, and I think I would agree.

And how would you define musical genius?

All of the members of Queen, for example, not only being musically multi-instrumental and talented all penned at least one Number One hit each and more. I feel that recognition is enough to put them in such a category! :)

[quote name='dood' post='816556' date='Apr 23 2010, 06:57 PM']All of the members of Queen, for example, not only being musically multi-instrumental and talented all penned at least one Number One hit each and more. I feel that recognition is enough to put them in such a category! :)[/quote]

Musical genius? Not sure. Freddie Mercury, maybe.

Tim Smith of Cardiacs,doubtless genius and it is a true shame that he hasnt got the credit he deserves,one of Englands finest.

He is quite ill still after having a heart attack and stroke but on the mend apparently...how on the mend remains to be seen.

I think the term 'genius' is used to frequently as a substitute for 'good'.
Michael Jackson was a top class entertainer-but was he a musical genius?
I don't think so. The same with Queen.
I know guys who can sit and transcribe big band charts for every instrument
from memory alone. To me that is more of a genius than someone who writes
songs-the musical knowledge and understanding to be able to do that is far greater
than what is needed to write a song.
In my opinion of course.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='816566' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:02 PM']Hendrix absolutely.[/quote]

For a while I used to think that Hendrix had been blown up out of all perspective regarding his status.
Then one day it dawned on me ,he was ONLY 27 when he died.
All that music and innovation by 27 yeasrs old.
That is genius

[quote name='Doddy' post='816574' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:06 PM']I think the term 'genius' is used to frequently as a substitute for 'good'.
Michael Jackson was a top class entertainer-but was he a musical genius?
I don't think so. The same with Queen.
songs-the musical knowledge and understanding to be able to do that is far greater
In my opinion of course.[/quote]

I agree. It's a word that is very overused, usually when someone is gushing admiration for their idol. Tha actual number of true geniuses in popular music is very small.

It's difficult as the term is so subjective.

You wouldn't say so-and-so was a genius due to 10 no.1 hits - just because you're making it big doesn't necessarily make you a genius.

And on that uncomfortable fence, I will perch.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='816573' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:06 PM']I'm being willfully pedantic here, but let's all enjoy the word 'Genii'!

I would say that there are probably more in the classical world who fall into this category than most other genres.[/quote]

TBH I laboured over the term before posting. :)

I just wondered how you would define the term in a musician's sense. A genius still has to work damned hard to get that status.

Dictionaries will commonly define genius, used in the context we're discussing here, as "a person with exceptional ability, especially of a highly original kind" or "a person of extraordinary intellect and talent".

The first musician that springs to my mind here is Pete Townshend - an extraordinarily gifted & visionary songwriter/composer who defined a musical genre or two, never mind an instrument. I've been listening to The Who a lot lately (they were the first band I was ever obsessive about - 35-odd years ago!) and considering everything Townshend had done by 1973, it's fair to say the bugger didn't leave much for the rest of us!

Jon.

[quote name='Doddy' post='816574' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:06 PM']I think the term 'genius' is used to frequently as a substitute for 'good'.

In my opinion of course.[/quote]

I actually feel the opposite. Whilst the skill you describe is impressive, a memory skill doesn't make someone a genius in my book because it doesn't require either reasoning ability or creativity. My computer appears to be able to remember things very well but it's still just a computer. In this context, someone with true creativity is someone who I would be most likely to refer to as a genius.

When I read the title of this post I immeadiately put forward Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend. As I scrolled down I saw that Bassassasin had beaten me to it, and I am glad. Forget all the media hype if 6 odd years ago, Pete was and is a musical legend...a genius. His productivity over the years (not all reached the public arena) is amazing.

He is, in my opinion, the Stephen Fry of the rock world...as soon as he speaks, I listen and in all cases, I am glad I did. He is a national musical treasure and it will be a sad day when he joins Keith and John.

Edited by neilb

sorry to do the Wiki Pete..there are so many ways to describe someone as a genius..

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius[/url]

im baffled as to why (apart from HJ) know one has mentioned the classics..IMHO..know one alive today can come close to Beethoven, Holst, Wagner, Mozart..they will prob never be touched today in musical ability..

apart from those i would say

Stevie Wonder
Donald Fagan and co
Prince
Shakin Stevens
Micheal Jackson
John Coltrane
Elton John and co
Pink Floyd

bass wise for me, there is only one really that falls into this catagory and its Victor Wooten..i cant think of anyone who takes it further..who is a true pioneer..

the word genius is so over used...theres immense talent and then there is genius...

Edited by bubinga5

My 2c's worth:
Take out my obvious classical faves (Sibelius, Vaughn Williams, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven) and I would have to suggest Neil Young (always ploughed his own furrow and inspired a grunge generation) and Miles Davies, simply because he was so good for so long.
Personally I feel the term genius should only be awarded by later generations.