Why become a member? ×

When is it time to pack it all in?

martthebass

Well, it's Thursday evening and I find myself sat in front of the computer (again), on Basschat (again) and for the first time in about 15 years I'm pretty much bandless and without a gig.

The trio I was in has just folded after about 10 years, there's been good times and (in the last 2 years) less good times, mainly due to the general demise of the pub entertainment industry around these parts. I think the main thing I'll miss is the general banter and cameraderie associated with going out, getting gigs and talking bandy stuff.

I suppose I could audition for something but the last time I did that I was the better side of 40 and....well y'know. So I find myself thinking is it time to call it a day and revert back to hobbies I've neglected for some while.

Thanks for listening.

Play jazz, then you die!

Or is it, die, then you play jazz?

Change streams. Find a musical outlet that takes you somewhere new: folk, jazz, world etc. Find a reason to get excited again. Having just taken up the double bass, I feel reborn. Practising the Bach cello suites at the moment: crucifying them but its really exciting to be going somewhere new. Or change instruments :)

These kind of posts really confuse me. If your partner left you would you decide to go celebate? NOOOO. Just put the bass in a cupboard and wait until you feel like playing it again, simple as... if a year or two goes by and you havent wanted to play it, sell it.

[quote name='dumelow' post='807593' date='Apr 15 2010, 08:37 PM']These kind of posts really confuse me. If your partner left you would you decide to go celebate? NOOOO. Just put the bass in a cupboard and wait until you feel like playing it again, simple as... if a year or two goes by and you havent wanted to play it, sell it.[/quote]

You've got this entirely the wrong way round, y'know.

I'm celibate until my partner leaves me ...

[quote name='martthebass' post='807577' date='Apr 15 2010, 08:21 PM']So I find myself thinking is it time to call it a day and revert back to hobbies I've neglected for some while.[/quote]

To me, bass playing IS a hobby I've neglected for some while! When I was gigging regularly I neglected it even more! Even if I knew that I was never going to play in a band again I might sell my big amp/cabs, but I would never sell my basses. Somehow the thought of being without one for the first time in thirty years fills me with horror! I sometimes get it out and play with it while I'm watching TV.... or if I'm in company I'll get my bass out!!! (Just thought I'd say that before someone else did!).

To me bass is a hobby first. Anything else is subsequent and less significant. :)

I'd be interested in your Streamline :)

Joking aside , I think many go through this once in a while .

I've got a set of golf clubs in the garage , don't know when I'll fancy a round again (5 yrs and counting) , but I'll keep 'em just in case .

You may find if you sell up , you'll regret it - you could try "downsizing" , then your options are still open .

[quote name='chris_b' post='807731' date='Apr 15 2010, 10:13 PM']Get networking.[/quote]

+100

DON'T QUIT! Just don't.

I quit twice and it was the dumbest thing I ever did.

Think of all that trouble you went to to rewire your brain. It'll just unravel. AND you'll be hell to live with. :)

I've taken several breaks from bass (played guitar, keyboards, xbox, women, lego, drinking games) & I always come back to it.
There's been times where the bass has sat in a corner of a cupboard for years only to pop out once every 4-5 months for a quick blast & get packed away again, but now I'm playing all the time & loving it.

I have my other hobbies too such as photography, cooking & basschatting which keeps my mind creative.

I'll give up when someone folds me into my casket... I had a year and a bit break about 10 years ago and it ain't ever happening again!

Having been in a gigging band for 10 years you must have made a few contacts? Get calling - good bass players are like hens teeth! You should have your pick!

I'm currently bandless too (but strangely have just recorded my first full length album for the band I just left), but I'm going to take this time to learn all that stuff I've been putting off. I haven't sat down and learned a song for fun in about 10 years and have no practise routine other than random noodling so I'm going to try and sort that out. I've also never learned a scale or mode in my life! Now's the time. Also have hardware issues - some of my basses have a few setup/electronic issues - I'm going to work on those too.

Edited by Bigwan

I have gone through huge periods of not picking up my bass. Which is probably why I'm not very good!

I never see myself outside this industry though, I guess its different when you basically have to pick up a bass or two a day.

It's been a crutch for me at times making music, I have got through some bad times with a bass in my hands, I have thrown one around and busted a neck while angry and angsty on stage.
And its created some of the best times I have ever had.

I hope my kids (if I have some) express an interest in playing some day, I would love them to know that a piece of wood with a few strands of metal can not only be there for the good times but can push you through the bad ones.

My basses are like the best friends I could ever have, they just sit there. Other than a quick tune every now and then and some new strings they never ask me for anything, they are content to wait with no attention but the moment I need them they are there, ready to go.

/emo

Its funny how frequently these posts appear and I have been guilty of making them in the past .The way it works is that everyone gives the standard advice which is take a break, keep your most important gear, sell the rest and come back to it when you want to ,that’s sensible advice. Without knowing you there’s not much else to add except that when I’ve been in your situation I also feel a bit of quilt or anger that I’ve invested so much money and time in something only to stop it which when you think about it is silly as its supposed to be fun and if its not fun then do something which is !