Why become a member? ×

When is it time to pack it all in?

martthebass

Thanks for some of the positive comments guys. I think this is the first time I've had a 'crisis' of this type for a long time.

I don't think it's so much packing in playing bass as packing in playing bass semi-pro. I still don't think I could go more than a few days without picking a bass up and having a noddle. At the moment I still have another (5 piece band) project at an early stage and am still active on the jam night circuit; I guess it's just the demise of my long term staple 'comfy slipper' that has knocked my confidence/enthusiasm a bit.

Time to buy the Ray fretless I've always wanted to inject a bit of life back into me - could even get into Jazz (naaaaahhhh)

Slightly OT but after two sh*t gigs in a row and the difficulty in getting originals gigs I am not as upbeat about the whole band thing as usual (albeit I have lifted myself by a new bass arrival which I will enjoy playing this weekend)

Exhibit 1: Schlepped down to Bognor on Saturday, the hottest day of the year (5 hour round trip in car) only for the fecking promoter to put us on first at 7.30pm so we played to a few members of the other bands ... and I had to wear the Sp*rs shirt for "Shirt of Hurt" to add insult to injury

Exhibit 2: Then played The Gaff in Holloway Rd on Monday night at a better time (9.30ish) .... to a few members of other bands again and the long-suffering Mrs Clarky

The root cause of all of this is sh*t promoters - for neither gig was there a flier and we didn't know until the day of each what our time slot was going to be, so we couldn't really push it hard to mates etc (giving up a Monday evening with no idea what time you are coming home is not a compelling proposition to many working friends).

We have to beg, steal and borrow to get these gigs, as an originals punk band, and we are very professional about these things, always ensuring we are well-rehearsed beforehand and with the gear we are asked to bring. So why are the promoters so lackadaisical as surely its in their interest to get a good turnout? As a family man and one who works long hours, I should also add that I have to make a number of sacrifices to maintain this 'second life' as does my family - don't get me wrong, the sacrfices are well worth it when we play a good gig to an apppreicative auidence but too many gigs recently have followed the aforementioned pattern.

Anyway, rant over and I will let you all get back on topic

you'li be fine Mart,i felt the same as you when my long standing (17 years) blues band went tits up & i did bugger all for the best part of 2 years.
then one day a drummer friend rang me to say he was forming a funk band & was i interested,as i'd never even listened to - never mind played any funk i was initially less than enthusiastic but went along for a jam anyway.
turns out i'm now in the best band i've ever been in & really enjoying the challenge of learning a totally different style of playing--it's mega.

[quote name='Clarky' post='808499' date='Apr 16 2010, 03:20 PM']Slightly OT but after two sh*t gigs in a row and the difficulty in getting originals gigs I am not as upbeat about the whole band thing as usual (albeit I have lifted myself by a new bass arrival which I will enjoy playing this weekend)

Exhibit 1: Schlepped down to Bognor on Saturday, the hottest day of the year (5 hour round trip in car) only for the fecking promoter to put us on first at 7.30pm so we played to a few members of the other bands ... and I had to wear the Sp*rs shirt for "Shirt of Hurt" to add insult to injury

Exhibit 2: Then played The Gaff in Holloway Rd on Monday night at a better time (9.30ish) .... to a few members of other bands again and the long-suffering Mrs Clarky

The root cause of all of this is sh*t promoters - for neither gig was there a flier and we didn't know until the day of each what our time slot was going to be, so we couldn't really push it hard to mates etc (giving up a Monday evening with no idea what time you are coming home is not a compelling proposition to many working friends).

We have to beg, steal and borrow to get these gigs, as an originals punk band, and we are very professional about these things, always ensuring we are well-rehearsed beforehand and with the gear we are asked to bring. So why are the promoters so lackadaisical as surely its in their interest to get a good turnout? As a family man and one who works long hours, I should also add that I have to make a number of sacrifices to maintain this 'second life' as does my family - don't get me wrong, the sacrfices are well worth it when we play a good gig to an apppreicative auidence but too many gigs recently have followed the aforementioned pattern.

Anyway, rant over and I will let you all get back on topic[/quote]

theres too many peopecall thesels promoters and don't have a clue - no one thiks to advertise or push or PROMOTE, they just organise and announce, (often badly) but to promote something is a big difference - i work in the theatre biz (luvs) and you have to fight for your audience market to them and convince them they want it - why don't promoters put the same energy in, do the really think crowds will just surge through the door when there's ten other doors to choose from - these kind of promoters have no passion and only egos -

btw, to OP, I hear you :)

Last November I went for my 1st audition for well over a decade, at the age of 51. Twenty years older than the rest of the band. I got it.
Then about 2 months ago I was contacted by a really good covers band. Went for the audition (one of 7 bassists), got it. Only 10 years older than these wonderful guys.
All this (plus other offers) because I put my details up on Forming Bands.

If you need to, have a little break, but keep looking.

You owe it to all the effort you have put in over the years. One joyous punter makes it all worthwhile.
Good luck whatever you decide.

I'm in two bands at the moment (one more active than the other) but I have been in your situation before. When I was bandless I kept the faith and guess what a band came calling. If you've been in the same band for 10 years you obviously know your stuff so don't worry. Sooner or later your new band will come calling just like it did for me.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='808073' date='Apr 16 2010, 10:04 AM']Its funny how frequently these posts appear and I have been guilty of making them in the past .The way it works is that everyone gives the standard advice which is take a break, keep your most important gear, sell the rest and come back to it when you want to ,that’s sensible advice. Without knowing you there’s not much else to add except that when I’ve been in your situation I also feel a bit of quilt or anger that I’ve invested so much money and time in something only to stop it which when you think about it is silly as its supposed to be fun and if its not fun then do something which is ![/quote]

this.