Why become a member? ×

I fell off the stage last night

OldGit

At least you didn't fall as stupidly as our singer did the other month....

We were playing (don't hate me) Teenage Dirtbag in our covers band. There's a line that goes something like 'my boyfriend's a dick, he' gives a kick' and our singer, showing off to the young girls dancing down the front decided to do a kung fu kick in the air for that line.

He jumped up, nice kick, looked cool-ish, then landed on the stage, first foot down landed on a mic cable, which rolled and he slid and fell flat on his back...

The song floundered around the remainder of the verse as the the 4 of us stood there doubled up with laughter trying to keep playing the song while he jumped up, dusted himself down, looking bright red with shame and the girls he was trying to impress had since gone and stuck their tongues down some guys throats half our age who didnt fall flat on their back in the middle of a pub...

Definitely our funniest gig to date. what a cock. :) :rolleyes:

Many years ago at The Standard in Walthamstow I was doing my 'blood spitting' bass solo with the KISS tribute band.

The lights were low (just a white spotlight on my face to pick out the blood trickling from my mouth).... unfortunately I prowled too near the front of the stage, was blinded by the light, my stack heel boot lost it's footing on the edge of the stage and I fell forward into the crowd with a clang on overdriven low 'E'!!! lol!

Luckily for me the fans at the front caught me & pushed me back onstage (without me spilling a drop of blood from my mouth!) where I continued the solo while blushing through my white make-up!

Afterwards a friend (who had been standing near the back) asked "What happened in your bass solo? You seemed to disappear from view for a few seconds with a funny bass noise and then you reappeared again!"

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='cetera' post='775082' date='Mar 15 2010, 11:46 AM']Many years ago at The Standard in Walthamstow I was doing my 'blood spitting' bass solo with the KISS tribute band.

The lights were low (just a white spotlight on my face to pick out the blood trickling from my mouth).... unfortunately I prowled too near the front of the stage, was blinded by the light, my stack heel boot lost it's footing on the edge of the stage and I fell forward into the crowd with a clang on overdriven low 'E'!!! lol!

Luckily for me the fans at the front caught me & pushed me back onstage (without me spilling a drop of blood from my mouth!) where I continued the solo while blushing through my white make-up!

Afterwards a friend (who had been standing near the back) asked "What happened in your bass solo? You seemed to disappear from view for a few seconds with a funny bass noise and then you reappeared again!"

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :)[/quote]

ha ha I'm surprised you ever managed to[b] not[/b] fall over in those shoes ....

[quote name='Stingray5' post='773762' date='Mar 13 2010, 06:51 PM']At least no one came up afterwards and said, "hey man, that was great - can you do it again?!" :)[/quote]

That actually did happen to me at a gig in Brighton back in 1986.

I got a bit tangled up in cables without realising, took a step backwards, fell straight down on my arse. The accompanying 'kerlangggggg' and feedback were quite impressive...

• 1 year later...

Many moons ago I was playing the university circuit. It was round about the early 90's when Id just purchased my first wireless system. I was pleased as punch.

The singer had a go at mingling in the rather large crowd so as Id just found my freedom I thought Id join him. I went side stage and towards the front where all the action was. I passed tha bar an slipped on spilled beer, SMACK on top of my beautiful Musicman Stingray.........ran back to the stage with my tail between my legs. Nobody seemed to notice except the audience members that had clocked me, who were pixxing themselves.

The bass was uninjured but very out of tune.

I sold the Wireless system and have never used one since.

Our lovely singer wears some great stuff on stage - always very high heels. One night she had a lovely flowy dress on and when she stepped back her heel caught in her dress. As she leant forward it picked her foot off the ground and she became trapped in a really uncomfortable position with one leg slightly raised. Well, she hopped about looking for a helping hand but both mine were busy - same for the guitartist and drummer. She finally did a manouver that freed her from her predicament and like a pro joined straightback into the song. The incident only lasted about 20 seconds but was very funny.

I have had the old strap detaching itself from the bass halfway through a song and had to carry on playing whilst holding the bass in position.

In the late '80's I saw some of the guys from the Climax Blues Band backing a female singer at a nightclub in Stafford. The band played a couple of song on their own then the singer made her entrance from the back of the club, singing into a radio mic and dancing towards the stage. About 6 feet from the stage she slipped on a spilt drink and landed on her arse, the radio mic flew out of her hand and hit a punter at the bar on the back of the head. The band had to stop playing as they were pissing themselves and help the poor woman off the floor and onto the stage. The only person not laughing was the guy that got hit with the mic.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1275765' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:01 PM']I have had the old strap detaching itself from the bass halfway through a song and had to carry on playing whilst holding the bass in position.[/quote]

Had that one happen, nobody noticed what actually happened and thought I was just posing :)

Years ago, I dropped a plectrum near the front of the stage, and on straightening up, I caught the top corner of the piano on my temple just above my right eye.... and knocked myself out cold whilst still straightening up.

Seemingly I stood there swaying for a few seconds until the quick-witted rhythm guitarist leaped forward and supported me as I slid gently to the ground. I came around again a few seconds later & was OK to do the rest of the gig.

Another time, while I was playing with a kind of Scottish Show Band, the singer was playing some Scottish Country tunes on a dual-deck harmonica when a big chunk of something(!) shot out of the moothie during a particularly hard sook note and walloped him on the back of the throat. He immediately swallowed it, like a trooper - a bit like the time a bluebottle flew into Patrick Moore's mouth when The Sky at Night was live and he instantly swallowed it & carried on (I saw that!!!).

He then proceeded to have a violent coughing fit, but, God bless 'im, he managed to co-ordinate the coughing-out and the sucking-in of air with what he was playing and apart from the coughing sounds over the top of the tune and turning a startling shade of purple, never missed a note. We, of course, were in hysterics.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Was playing in Greece and outside of Athens, the stage crews are..err...not so hot. The whole stage is littered with untidy cables.
The concert start was late so we had plenty of time having a drink or a few..!! or the viola player did. The show starts and he is getting a bit manic in his dancing....and whilst jiggng around got caught up in the cables.
He had a very expensive viola and and very expensive bow so when he felt himself falling he couldn't use his hands so took the full force on his chin..he'd had a few as well.

Me and the drummer saw all this happening and when he went down, we were wetting ourselves and lost the song a bit..
It was recorded as well and when we listened to it we heard the crash of the viola player on stage and our song falling apart

Laughed so loud...

We played a local bike club rally the other week (i.e. big tent in a field) and the headline band were a sort of rock/punk covers act. The bass player fell off the stage (think farm trailer about 4ft high) towards the end of their set and knocked himself clean out. On coming round he was found to have four broken ribs and a suspected broken neck, and would have been airlifted to hospital had the air ambulance not been busy that night.

A few years back we had to stop mid-song when a wasp decided to join the drummer for a duet. There was a flurry of drums and then silence as the drummer (female I should add) ran around the stage waving her arms in the air trying to get rid of the culprit.

Our guitarist often wears a battery-powered T-shirt with LCD units that light up. A crowd favourite shows illuminated EQ meter displays with the columns jumping up and down in time to the music.

He also has a wireless unit and goes walkabout in the audience.

We finished a recent pub gig with AC/DC "Highway to Hell". He and the singer really go for it, climbing on tables and throwing hero poses as the song comes to an end. After the big rawk wigout at the end of the song they both go for a synchronised leap off the furniture, landing as the very last drumbeat/chord sounds.

Except this time, as Dave guitar jumped he realised that he was going to catapult forward into a large group of folks carrying drinks. So as he landed the threw himself backwards. Landed on his back with a crash, smacking his head on a chair on his way down and on the floor as he hit.

As he lay there, stunned, the final chord still ringing from his guitar, one of the punters came over and bent down anxiously to see how he was...

"'ere mate, where do you get them T-shirts?"

It's nice to know they care.

Cheers,

Graham

[quote name='OldGit' post='773647' date='Mar 13 2010, 04:11 PM']Halfway through a fab dance which had 60 couples barging and swerving their way left and right over huge dance floor I took a step back from the mic, stood on a harmonica that had fallen off my stack, lost my balance and crashed back into my top cab, knocking my percussion box off the top ..

The stack stayed up as I tie everything together with a strap :)

Anyway I slid sideways off the stack and tripped on a stage floor light and 'urtled side ways off the stage...

Fortunately it was a relatively low one and I landed on my feet.

Being wireless I didn't then pull my stack on top of myself but I did stop playing for 8 bars :lol:

No one noticed except my drummer who was showered with the contents of my percussion box ..

Phew, I thought, and then sprained my ankle later doing something very innocuous .. :D
Fun night.[/quote]
Failed stage dive...get over it! :)

That sounds like it is the sort of thing that I would do as I'm sortnof renound for being rather clumsy, luckily I haven't had it happen so far although in my first ever gig my strap full off amdni had to play half the song till a pause in the bass line on one leg whilst still playing then in the guitar solo the guitarists pick snapped in half, shot off and hit the singer in the back of the head! We got through the song ok but it was certainly an interesing introduction to performances!