Welcome to the Rhondda Cynon Valley

Such a lonely place, such a lonely place

Playing a gig in the Rhondda Cynon Valley

No bars on the phone, and no way home"

Brilliant

....shoe-in for a worldwide hit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I lug both the QSC KW153 Powered cabs at 40Kg each plus they are quite tall at 43" x 19" x 17" and awkward to lift and tilt into the back of an estate car. Lifting straight up and down is easy but walking a distance or the tilting thing is extremely hard on the old back.

I also have lightweight Mesa cabs at 20Kg each so they are a skoosh to lift, i've even lifted one in each hand to the gig but that just makes it awkward getting thru doors :laugh1:

Amp is a class D Ampeg SVT7 so that's a bonus too. My back up amp is now my Handbox WB-100 at 13Kg which aint too bad.

I do have a portable trolley for all the cabs to be fair.

We are looking for someone to help with the gear, ideally a SE who can do the PA and collect the Subs that we haven't really used cause we need a van if we take them. Think that ideal person is a dream wish list more than anything as i reckon people just don't do that these days.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

"On a dark, lonely mountain,

With the wind in my hair

I could see the street lights

Several miles over there

Then a voice in the distance

Said 'turn left by the trees

You can drive off any time you like

But you can never leave'

Welcome to the Rhondda Cynon Valley

Such a lonely place, such a lonely place

Playing a gig in the Rhondda Cynon Valley

No bars on the phone, and no way home"

You weren't trying to find the Railway Canteen in Treherbert by any chance...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You weren't trying to find the Railway Canteen in Treherbert by any chance...

As I recall, the specific incident was after a gig in one of the working men's clubs in Bedlinog. But in the duo days we regularly used to get lost trying to find these tiny venues. 😀

• Like 2

8 hours ago, casapete said:

I was absolutely done in after our acoustic duo at the weekend! I'm 66, and lugging a PA into a venue is 

getting more of a PITA for me, ( especially as don't have to do this in the theatre band I'm in! ) Although a

seated gig, I found it very full on and a touch stressful, which isn't what I was thinking of in my pending

retirement!  Most of our gigs are quite laid back, so a rammed pub on Easter Sunday was probably an

exception. I can't blame my own kit (Fender Rumble 100 combo) either!

Think we'll be looking for a more lightweight / easier to manage PA soon. It's crap getting old!!

I have a lightweight PA that I haven't used in about 6 years. I was looking at it today and thinking I should sell it.

It's a Fender Passport series. Not sure of the exact model, but I think it's about 500w. It used to be completely adequate for my little 3/4 piece band in pubs and small venues. I have stands for the speaker too. I'm sure we could come to an arrangement.

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I have a lightweight PA that I haven't used in about 6 years. I was looking at it today and thinking I should sell it.

It's a Fender Passport series. Not sure of the exact model, but I think it's about 500w. It used to be completely adequate for my little 3/4 piece band in pubs and small venues. I have stands for the speaker too. I'm sure we could come to an arrangement.

Rob

Thanks Rob, but we are currently using a Yamaha EMX512SC mixer amp which gives out 2x500 watts.

The cabs are Bose tops and some bass bins.

We’d be looking at something at least that output again, possibly class D powered cabs such as RCF / QSC etc.

I have an Allen and Heath mixer with FX that we could use with them.

You could maybe try listing your Fender PA on here? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

Thanks Rob, but we are currently using a Yamaha EMX512SC mixer amp which gives out 2x500 watts.

The cabs are Bose tops and some bass bins.

We’d be looking at something at least that output again, possibly class D powered cabs such as RCF / QSC etc.

I have an Allen and Heath mixer with FX that we could use with them.

You could maybe try listing your Fender PA on here? 

That;s more or less what we use. Allen & Heath desks. We have 2 digital and 2 analogue ones. I large and one small from each type. We also have QSC K12's for Punk band or smaller gigs. KW153's for the Glam band and up to venues with 150-200 people and a pair of KW181 subs that we very rarely use.

The 12's are fairly lightweight at 20Kg

15's are 40Kg

Subs are 38Kg

The sound from them all is superb altho i prefer the 15's for vocals. They just seem to produce a warmer overall tone but they are bulky and heavy but you wouldn't need bass bins with them. The 153 cabs are 3 way and can handle just about anything. 

I believe the 12's could handle a fair old bit as well but we only put vocals thru them.

Dave

• Like 2

On 02/04/2024 at 05:16, Al Krow said:

We used a pair of RCF 310As for years with a full band when I was still using backline for bass. Great sound and very lightweight - maybe worth checking out?

We use RCF for our acoustic gigs.

Daryl

20240210_140357.jpg

23 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That;s more or less what we use. Allen & Heath desks. We have 2 digital and 2 analogue ones. I large and one small from each type. We also have QSC K12's for Punk band or smaller gigs. KW153's for the Glam band and up to venues with 150-200 people and a pair of KW181 subs that we very rarely use.

The 12's are fairly lightweight at 20Kg

15's are 40Kg

Subs are 38Kg

The sound from them all is superb altho i prefer the 15's for vocals. They just seem to produce a warmer overall tone but they are bulky and heavy but you wouldn't need bass bins with them. The 153 cabs are 3 way and can handle just about anything. 

I believe the 12's could handle a fair old bit as well but we only put vocals thru them.

Dave

Our own sound & lights. We only travel with all that stuff for large premium pay gigs. Which isn't often as most of those gigs provide sound & lights.

I don't know what any of it is. We're still paying for it.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1698390448324.jpg

• Like 3

Last night’s gig was one I never anticipated, wanted, but felt compelled and eventually pleased to do. My son died three weeks ago suddenly from a second heart attack a week after having stents for the first one, seems the surgeon did half a job. Julian was 46, three kids, fitness fanatic, my best friend, top DJ and drummer

Today was his funeral. His widow had booked an acoustic duo for the wake in the local pub. However, the girl singer had to leave early for some reason; the landlord knew I played and pointed me out to the remaining guitarist/singer suggesting I might help, so as my gear was in my car I played bass and sang with him for the second set.

It was good distraction therapy, busking 15 numbers I’d never played before with a guy I’d never met. Despite this glimmer of light in a dark, dark day I’ll never be able to rationalise why I’m still here at 74 to write this while he will never read it. 

Parents shouldn’t have to bury their children...

Edited by Gasman
Word added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 33

4 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Last night’s gig was one I never anticipated, wanted, but felt compelled and eventually pleased to do. My son died three weeks ago suddenly from a second heart attack a week after having stents for the first one, seems the surgeon did half a job. Julian was 46, three kids, fitness fanatic, my best friend, top DJ and drummer

Today was his funeral. His widow had booked an acoustic duo for the wake in the local pub. However, the girl singer had to leave early for some reason; the landlord knew I played and pointed me out to the remaining guitarist/singer suggesting I might help, so as my gear was in my car I played bass and sang with him for the second set.

It was good therapy, busking 15 numbers I’d never played before with a guy I’d never met. Despite this glimmer of light in a dark, dark day I’ll never be able to rationalise why I’m still here at 74 to write this while he will never read it. 

How awful for you. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

25 minutes ago, Gasman said:

It was good distraction therapy, busking 15 numbers I’d never played before with a guy I’d never met. Despite this glimmer of light in a dark, dark day I’ll never be able to rationalise why I’m still here at 74 to write this while he will never read it. 

My condolences Gasman.

Daryl

5 hours ago, Gasman said:

Very sad to read this - sincere condolences to you and yours

6 hours ago, Gasman said:

So sorry to hear this. Condolences to you and your family. Can't begin to imagine what you're all going through. Thanks for posting this, must have been hard to write.

I'm so sorry for your loss. No, parents shouldn't have to bury their children. My dad died when I was three and your post has really resonated with me this morning. I really hope you're doing as well as can be expected. Life can be so unkind.

So sorry to hear this @Gasman our thoughts are with you.

Dave

That's a heartbreaking circumstance.  Sincere condolences, Gasman.

8 hours ago, Gasman said:

I lost a brother called Julian - but losing a child is another dimension of grief. Sending warmest wishes from Southbourne. 

So sorry for your loss. Words fail, sending all my love to you and yours.

So sorry for your loss, what a terrible thing to happen to you and your family, life is so unfair at times, my condolences to you all in these sad and difficult times :( 

John