Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Ignore me I am an idiot - I didn't see you had another singer due to the location of the camera!

At least i won't be lonely in the idiot room :laugh1:

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Wee vid has just appeared on FB.

Hope i'm not boring you all with this. Don't often get a vid of this song.

Dave

http://www.facebook.com/100015632287615/videos/1205398343756502?idorvanity=559305587911326

Good stuff Dave.  

I’ve never played Tiger Feet but Mud were the band hired for the first night in the Hall of Residence I lived in during my 1st year at university.  Of course they “finished” the gig without having played Tiger Feet, cue much chanting of “Tiger Feet, Tiger Feet….” (Much better than the modern day “one more song”). So I duly obliged by climbing on stage and giving my fellow hall residents a couple of lines of the chorus (the sound engineer kindly / foolishly leaving the vocal mic on), before vacating the stage for Mud to give us the genuine version. Happy Days.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Simon C said:

Good stuff Dave.  

I’ve never played Tiger Feet but Mud were the band hired for the first night in the Hall of Residence I lived in during my 1st year at university.  Of course they “finished” the gig without having played Tiger Feet, cue much chanting of “Tiger Feet, Tiger Feet….” (Much better than the modern day “one more song”). So I duly obliged by climbing on stage and giving my fellow hall residents a couple of lines of the chorus (the sound engineer kindly / foolishly leaving the vocal mic on), before vacating the stage for Mud to give us the genuine version. Happy Days.

They were an amazing band. A lot more talented than they were credited for i reckon.

So many of the Glam bands were actually very good musicians. They did what they did through a lot of hard work touring. That's where you learn your craft. No social media and autotune in them good ole days.

Dave

• Like 2

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

They were an amazing band. A lot more talented than they were credited for i reckon.

So many of the Glam bands were actually very good musicians. They did what they did through a lot of hard work touring. That's where you learn your craft. No social media and autotune in them good ole days.

Dave

We have been rehearsing Tiger Feat and its not as simple as it sounds, Its quite hard according to one of our guitarists. Mud went up several notches in my estimation once I started to learn it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

We have been rehearsing Tiger Feat and its not as simple as it sounds, Its quite hard according to one of our guitarists. Mud went up several notches in my estimation once I started to learn it.

Rob Stiles was a fantastic guitarist and a very talented songwriter.

In the verse Ray hits an open E and then slides on the A string from B to C# then he moves up to F# note and slides from C# to D# on the A string.

Took a little time getting that slide in my head but its just a great song.

One bit you can have some fun with is the quiet mid section where Ray plays  AA_B but i've heard him play the bassline from the start of Radar Love during that section but playing it on the A string. Such a talented player plus he jumps about and sings at same time when playing live. Always looks like he's having fun. I enjoy playing Mud songs. What i have found with him is that he does repeat the same little riffs in different songs but i guess all bassists do that.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

So many of the Glam bands were actually very good musicians.

Mud are never a group that I would have thought of or described as glam, but i agree, there is so much more work in even the basic songs back then, especially for a bass player. Work that had pretty much dried up by the 90s!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Mud are never a group that I would have thought of or described as glam, but i agree, there is so much more work in even the basic songs back then, especially for a bass player. Work that had pretty much dried up by the 90s!

They were a kind of crossover between Rob wearing the flamboyant feminine looking clothes and Ray wearing his teddy boy suits but they have always been classed as part of the Glam era. A lot of tongue in cheek fun with them which was also part of the Glam thing IMO.

Dave

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

A friend of my wife was friendly with Les Gray back in the day. I know the current guitarist/vocalist and the keyboard player of Mud2.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alant said:

A friend of my wife was friendly with Les Gray back in the day. I know the current guitarist/vocalist and the keyboard player of Mud2.

We supported Les Gray’s Mud in the late 80’s. Les was a lovely bloke, very funny and put on a 

good show despite not looking in the best of health. 

• Like 3

Just back from a monthly pub residency with the acoustic duo. Was just one of those gigs 

where I never got settled for some reason. Don’t know if I’m getting old but audiences in

some pubs which were previously okay now seem to be getting more ‘lairy’, for want of

a better word. Tuesday evening and they were battered by 9.30pm, loud and annoying

some of our regulars so much that quite a few of them left early. Hard when you’re 

playing acoustic stuff to compete with them, and hard to hear any definition

from the PA so I struggled sound wise too. Just glad to get home TBH, but at least

we got paid so not all bad. 
Next one is at The Sun Inn in Beverley on Easter Sunday, one of our favourite venues

so hopefully should be better than tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Don’t know if I’m getting old but audiences in

some pubs which were previously okay now seem to be getting more ‘lairy’, for want of

a better word. Tuesday evening and they were battered by 9.30pm, loud and annoying

some of our regulars so much that quite a few of them left early.

I certainly feel that post lockdown audiences are different to pre-lockdown audiences in a negative way

• Like 1

I stopped going to watch bands because i couldn't hear them for people yapping during the entire show and that's from pubs to Theatre venues. 

When i used to go to watch bands it was mostly rock or prog fans and without being sexist mostly of the same sex but nowadays its more a mixed audience and that's where the yapping comes in. Even when watching other bands posting vids on FB all you hear is yap yap bl**ding yap.

If people don't want to sit and watch a band quietly then don't bl**min go. Perhaps its just wives going with their hubbies to get out and have no interest in bands. Yes i know that all sounds very sexist and i apologise if i offend anyone with my own experiences.

On the other hand its mostly women that come to our gigs and it doesn't seem to be a problem there so i don't understand it at all but then again i've never understood the workings of a woman's brain. :laugh1:

Men go to a venue to watch a band and drink beer, women see it as a social event to listen to background music, drink wine and blether all night having no respect for others that have paid to hear a band.

As you can tell this is a sore point with me. :dash1:

PS this is also a sore point with my wife so its not just me.

Rant over.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I stopped going to watch bands because i couldn't hear them for people yapping during the entire show and that's from pubs to Theatre venues. 

When i used to go to watch bands it was mostly rock or prog fans and without being sexist mostly of the same sex but nowadays its more a mixed audience and that's where the yapping comes in. Even when watching other bands posting vids on FB all you hear is yap yap bl**ding yap.

If people don't want to sit and watch a band quietly then don't bl**min go. Perhaps its just wives going with their hubbies to get out and have no interest in bands. Yes i know that all sounds very sexist and i apologise if i offend anyone with my own experiences.

On the other hand its mostly women that come to our gigs and it doesn't seem to be a problem there so i don't understand it at all but then again i've never understood the workings of a woman's brain. :laugh1:

Men go to a venue to watch a band and drink beer, women see it as a social event to listen to background music, drink wine and blether all night having no respect for others that have paid to hear a band.

As you can tell this is a sore point with me. :dash1:

PS this is also a sore point with my wife so its not just me.

Rant over.

Dave

Do you not play loud enough to make talking difficult?  That's how we solve it :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I certainly feel that post lockdown audiences are different to pre-lockdown audiences in a negative way

I agree, something definitely changed. I don’t expect the audience to sit there in deathly silence - 

it’s a pub after all and their drinking pays my wages! It’s just the few who spoil it for others that 

get to me, and then at the end they even come over and try to be your best mates. I can’t help but

think we won’t be there much longer, which is a shame as the nutters win. Probably best we start

looking for an alternative venue, and hopefully our core audience will go with us. 

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Do you not play loud enough to make talking difficult?  That's how we solve it :D

Of course its compulsory but seriously no we don't play too loud. We set guitar and vocals to drummers level. Only vocals thru PA so we can't be too loud.

I have upgraded my bass rig to suit tho.😂

Dave

image.png.259c472cb3d7c5f9b25d4e4d3e32ab7e.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Of course its compulsory but seriously no we don't play too loud. We set guitar and vocals to drummers level. Only vocals thru PA so we can't be too loud.

I have upgraded my bass rig to suit tho.😂

Dave

image.png.259c472cb3d7c5f9b25d4e4d3e32ab7e.png

How did you and your bass get that small?

• Haha 3

Just got in from a Spacewasters gig at The Barn in Portsmouth. Went very well, the new 5-piece lineup settling in nicely.

Stage sound and sound out front were good, and bonus, not too loud as not a very big place. Good crowd too, and we were asked to do 2 extra songs by the people running the gig as we had gone down so well.

I used my JMJ Mustang Bass into my Ashdown RM500 v2, with that connected to the headliners Marshall VBC412. I also used my Nux wireless kit which worked a treat. 

• Like 18

It was the first gig of the new blues band last night - The Out and Out Blues band - https://theoutandouts.com/

The Gregson Centre in Lancaster, four bands on, fundraiser for the Gregson and Lancaster Music Co-op.

We were first on at 7.30pm and did a 45 minute set. A decent crowd, and very appreciative, we went down very well, and I even got them singing with us at the end, at 8.15pm!

The other bands were great too, and there was a lot of comradery amongst the musicians. I used someone else's rig, Mark Bass 1x12 combo with a 2x10 extension cab, with my '73 P Bass.

We were very pleased with our performance, and it's probably the best "1st gig" I've ever played.

Now we have to work up the rest of the tunes for our first full 2 set gig on the 18th. 

Rob

(edit: now with a pic!)

Gregson Centre Gig.jpg

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 24

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

It was the first gig of the new blues band last night - The Out and Out Blues band - https://theoutandouts.com/

The Gregson Centre in Lancaster, four bands on, fundraiser for the Gregson and Lancaster Music Co-op.

We were first on at 7.30pm and did a 45 minute set. A decent crowd, and very appreciative, we went down very well, and I even got them singing with us at the end, at 8.15pm!

The other bands were great too, and there was a lot of comradery amongst the musicians. I used someone else's rig, Mark Bass 1x12 combo with a 2x10 extension cab, with my '73 P Bass.

We were very pleased with our performance, and it's probably the best "1st gig" I've ever played.

Now we have to work up the rest of the tunes for our first full 2 set gig on the 18th. 

Rob

First gig with a new band is always a bit nerve-racking. Good to hear it all went well and gives you a good positive feel going forward to the next full gig.

Enjoy and have fun with it cause nothing else matters really.

Dave

• Like 1

A golden weekend for me - by which I mean a 4 gig weekend. Thursday - Bandeoke residency in Bristol, Friday - originals band first time in a very nice boozer only 10 minutes down the road from me, last night - soul band in a favourite pub in Shrivenham, and later today another Bandeoke residency in Warminster. 

Just been woken by a very excited 4 year old hunting Easter eggs. The joys of grandparenthood!

• Like 22

Another new venue for BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band last night at Shieldhill near Falkirk. The girl that arranged it was her first time arranging anything in the hall and she was so worried about it all at the start but she did a fantastic job with it including a decent full sized buffet plus my wife and our singer Lynn both won a bottle of vino each in the raffle. 

Not a huge venue but sold out maybe 100-120 people in with many wearing 70's Glam gear.

Also had a couple that came over from Dunoon on the ferry just to see us. They have been to a few of our gigs now including one up at Methil in Fife.

Fairly small stage so it was a bit tight. Its an old community hall style building. Stage was quite high up too but we really struggled to fit on it with very little movement. Sound on stage was difficult to get a decent mix as no room for monitors. Drummer had IEM and he said it was all sounding good in his ears.

Out front sounded good tho and that's the main thing.

Singer had a sore throat and as the night progressed his voice started to fade and Lynn our female singer had to take over his vocal parts in some songs but we managed by dropping out a few of the harder vocal songs towards the end.

Feedback was great and we've been asked back again with dates to be confirmed.

Usual gear Sandberg VM4 into Ampeg SVT7 and Mesa SW210/115 cabs.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 16

Nice one Dave. I've taken the ferry to / from Dunoon a couple if times on my bike during my Scotish tours. Good to hear it's name again. You guys get around. Keep it up.

• Like 1