Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, tvickey said:

My band 'Shreds.' played our first headliner show last night!  We were at Cafe Indie in Scunthorpe.  It was our first time playing Scunthorpe, and Cafe Indie was a really great venue.  Nice large stage decked out with a lot of new gear and lighting.  Apparently there were about 200 people that showed up!

The person running sound did an excellent job, and was even super helpful about letting us put our recording rig in-line with their setup (we have 16 transformer-isolated XLR splitters, preamps, laptop and usually record our live sets).  We arrived early and set everything up well in advance of the show start time.  The other bands were keen to be recorded live, so I hit 'record' for each of those first three sets.

When we got up on stage to play last, I tuned my bass and then focused on silently warming up during the precious few moments that I had.  Our drummer looked over and indicated "let's go" and off we went.  Unfortunately I forgot to hit 'record' for our set!  Ha!  Oh well... next time I'll be more careful!

427805671_10161500379146276_213637532018975180_n.jpg

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve set up for recording then forgotten to turn it on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had our record release party Thursday night.

Great night! Sold out show and sold out merch! 

Sound guy wasnt great and the lighting guy was more of a "turn off the" lighting guy which was fairly frustrating but all in all a great time.IMG-20240208-WA0013.thumb.jpg.bfc8ec3e396f1cbf4fac2221be520bc1.jpgIMG-20240209-WA0011.thumb.jpg.64e3b9383d66b3f22a70c3b65e06f10e.jpgIMG-20240210-WA0003.thumb.jpg.af28d4b29fec092e2b68b61f01080127.jpg

• Like 16

5 hours ago, tvickey said:

My band 'Shreds.' played our first headliner show last night!  We were at Cafe Indie in Scunthorpe.  It was our first time playing Scunthorpe, and Cafe Indie was a really great venue.  Nice large stage decked out with a lot of new gear and lighting.  Apparently there were about 200 people that showed up!

The person running sound did an excellent job, and was even super helpful about letting us put our recording rig in-line with their setup (we have 16 transformer-isolated XLR splitters, preamps, laptop and usually record our live sets).  We arrived early and set everything up well in advance of the show start time.  The other bands were keen to be recorded live, so I hit 'record' for each of those first three sets.

When we got up on stage to play last, I tuned my bass and then focused on silently warming up during the precious few moments that I had.  Our drummer looked over and indicated "let's go" and off we went.  Unfortunately I forgot to hit 'record' for our set!  Ha!  Oh well... next time I'll be more careful!

My mate Jason used to do the sound at Cafe Indie - was it him there for your band? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tvickey said:

Im playing there next weekend! Glad you had a good time. It'll be my first time there and I've heard great things. 

• Like 3

This was an easy one! People were drinking, but not drunk. Two sets, nothing special, and they danced a lot. Only bad thing was the ceiling: very low. Therefore loudness levels rised sometimes, but we managed to draw it back to reasonable. Not too good a place, but good feel. It's time for a good night's sleep.

• Like 9

Another fun night, though very tight on space so I used the my old beaten up FPPR Status as we had people wandering through us to the loos all night 

Good crowd singing along all night and a happy landlord, but unbelievably as the last time we played there, he leaves next week 🤦‍♂️

Had a guy come up to us afterwards and say “I came in and saw you setting up and thought oh **** this’ll be cr@p, but then you started and it was awesome 🤩 “ … which was nice 😁

IMG_1318.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 15

Train To Skaville gig at Bradford Town FC (Bradford-on-Avon), a good sized crowd all in good voice and had all brought their dancing shoes. Considering we hadn't played a single note together since New Year's Eve, we were on fire... good performances all round and we were offered more future bookings on the spot. Result :)

First time out with the Spector since fitting the new active EMGs in place of the passive EMG-HZs, and my god what a difference. The 35P4 in the neck is a proper beast, and really cuts through in a way that the HZs failed to do.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 12

20 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We have an acoustic gig at The Zeigler Winery Saturday afternoon. An hour 1 way. It's a very nice room.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1707407838919.jpg

Home by 8:00.

Good crowd, nice looking room and generous tippers.

I wasn't crazy about my playing.

Daryl

20240210_140357.jpg

20240210_151431.jpg

• Like 16

BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band tonight in Dalkeith Miners Club. WOW what a venue. 300 tickets sold on our first gig there. Holds 600 apparently altho not sure where they would all sit as it was fairly busy with 300.

Club was refurbished 1-2 yrs ago and what a job they've done. Large stage with glass partitions across the front of most of the stage. Full good quality PA and lighting and a really good Sound Engineer who seemed to know his stuff even tho he was very young compared to us.

Great reception, dancers up for literally every song. Great feedback at the end from folks in other bands so that was good. 2 different bass players complimented my playing and tone so that was nice too.

Several people said we had under sold ourselves at £5 a ticket but that was down to the venue. We just got a fee. Their comment was that some people will think £5 the band is either s**t or not worth going to see. Several bands that were nowhere near as good as us and they were charging more than double what we were. All down to the venue however the Sound guy said that after the next time we play there we should go thru him as he reckons we should be on a minimum 4 figure fee. All very promising.

They also want to book us for Hogmanay 2025. Jings i might be dead and buried by then :laugh1:

Anyways gear for tonight was my usual Sandberg VM4 into Shure Wireless into Ampeg SVT7 Pro and Mesa SW210/115 cabs.

Dave

image.thumb.png.f082919fe359d4be4aa017e973186132.png

image.thumb.png.aa8b8769271f42dd428045dd04f6bc45.png

• Like 24

Tonight!
Katie O'Brien's Irish Tavern in Leicester with Azura - 3 piece as singer/guitarist was away playing army.
Early start, we arrived about 6 once we'd found the loading bay round the back.
Horrendous load-in, down a dark, slippy, uneven alley that looked like a great place to get murdered.

Big place, decent stage, packed (at 6 o'clock!) with a semi-feral mob. Could go either way tonight, lads!
Loaded in (didn't need the PA speakers, which helped) and the manager told us the solo acoustic act who was supposed to start at 6 hadn't shown up, so we might as well set up.
Half way through setting up, the solo acoustic act who was supposed to start at 6 showed up, so we had to stop setting up and watch him play for about an hour and a half.

Joe something, he was called (AKA the solo acoustic act who was supposed to start at 6)
He was really good, nice set of upbeat modern and classic covers (including half of our setlist and half a set of stuff we're going to nick), great crowd interaction, good voice, lovely solo/chord thing going on in Isn't She Lovely... really good.

Once he was done, we finished setting up around the people sitting on the edge of the stage and tried not to kick any of their drinks over.
The place was rammed by the time we went on about 9, first set went down a storm, it was like a cross between the last days of Pompeii and Sodom & Gomorrah.
A girl at the front (a music teacher we later found out) conducted us all the way through (?!), people trying to ask for requests mid song (while we were wearing IEMs), packed dancefloor, whooping and hollering... the works. Fantastic!

Three sets, the last one nearly blew the roof off.

The manager loved us, the bar supervisor told us loads of punters had said how good we were... really fantastic gig.

Packed down, loaded up, back down the M6 with Snarky Puppy and Vulfpeck to keep us awake, back home about 2:30 for an Aldi vinage cider.

Played the P for a change -> amp board (VTDI and Thumpinator) -> MB 121H. I didn't bother with pedals as the front of the stage was littered with drinks and people.

Red socks and peppermint green DMs, foot fans.

Really great night, the sort of gig that'll keep me going through the next few shockers.

20240210_215053.jpg

20240210_233219.jpg

• Like 22

A traditional rock n roll gig last night with the Insiderz at a large hall for a ticketed event. With an hour to go before we were due onstage the drummer called in with a family emergency and as I drove us to the gig, my mate was ringing around trying to find a replacement for the night. Our regular dep was in Pompeii and refused to fly home for the gig 😂. My mate from my other band had been watching the rugby and drinking. In the end, a call on Facebook produced an outstanding drummer who appeared at the hall and was set up in record time. We went on about 30 minutes after the planned start time, but that only helped as the crowd (around 100 or so) had been dancing and drinking.

It was a good night with people up and dancing right from the start. The audience were mostly there for the dancing so there was a lot of very accomplished moves on the dance floor. So much so that it became distracting at times watching the moves, particularly the hand jives. 😃  The host/organiser got up to do a couple of songs with us and he was actually quite good.

I was on rhythm guitar duties and as punishment for that my amp died with about 5 songs left to go. I was able to plug in to the PA through my Plethora X3 which had it's cab sim option enabled. Our bassist was using a Jazz through a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. It's usually very punchy but last night it boomed a lot and we suspected it was the hollow stage acting as a resonator. He also used a fretless Jazz bass for the section where the host played with us. 

A good night despite (or perhaps because of) the challenges. And we've been asked back. No photos of the band yet but here's one of the stage before we took over. 

Edit: A video has appeared.  I'm closest to the camera on stage.

DSCG1357.thumb.jpg.aa6a62d0bc9d6955bbb9c14289ac090a.jpg

Edit 2: A couple more photos.

DSCF0001.thumb.jpg.235aec631186cde6ef37ef7dda665c36.jpg

DSCF0013.thumb.jpg.5e03e5c86b1b3abe7769bd63ad6429b5.jpg

DSCF0015.thumb.jpg.7296cc892b0f2ab9090dc5b16f5597c7.jpg

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 19

17 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

A traditional rock n roll gig last night with the Insiderz at a large hall for a ticketed event. With an hour to go before we were due onstage the drummer called in with a family emergency and as I drove us to the gig, my mate was ringing around trying to find a replacement for the night. Our regular dep was in Pompeii and refused to fly home for the gig 😂. My mate from my other band had been watching the rugby and drinking. In the end, a call on Facebook produced an outstanding drummer who appeared at the hall and was set up in record time. We went on about 30 minutes after the planned start time, but that only helped as the crowd (around 100 or so) had been dancing and drinking.

It was a good night with people up and dancing right from the start. The audience were mostly there for the dancing so there was a lot of very accomplished moves on the dance floor. So much so that it became distracting at times watching the moves, particularly the hand jives. 😃  The host/organiser got up to do a couple of songs with us and he was actually quite good.

I was on rhythm guitar duties and as punishment for that my amp died with about 5 songs left to go. I was able to plug in to the PA through my Plethora X3 which had it's cab sim option enabled. Our bassist was using a Jazz through a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. It's usually very punchy but last night it boomed a lot and we suspected it was the hollow stage acting as a resonator. He also used a fretless Jazz bass for the section where the host played with us. 

A good night despite (or perhaps because of) the challenges. And we've been asked back. No photos of the band yet but here's one of the stage before we took over. 

DSCG1357.thumb.jpg.aa6a62d0bc9d6955bbb9c14289ac090a.jpg

I now use a Gramma pad at every gig these days and it means my tones basically stay the same every gig. No serious boom on stage anymore.

Looks like a nice venue with a decent sized stage.

Well done the dep drummer managing at such short notice.

Dave

• Like 5

Played my first one of the year last night with Gévaudan at the Cart & Horses, Stratford. Sold out night, doomy line up and ace people in all the bands so a really cool vibe all night. Great venue and sound out front as well. 

We didn't get to sound check.....or line check really, but it just felt like we clicked really well from the off and just had a night where it all felt really tight and delivered as we wanted to deliver our set..... 1 song, 43 minutes of heavy funereal, trady, epic doom. 😎✌️

IMG_20240211_104135_768.thumb.jpg.75fe1bc3481bb8c35a3bbec3a37436ab.jpg

IMG_20240211_104140_707.thumb.jpg.7a6a4bdf52a1b34caa4e067136126f47.jpg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, WalMan said:

All you lucky people doing gigs with acres of space and without the route to the bogs through the middle of the band! The green eyed monster is here 🤣

To be fair, most of the gigs we do are on postage stamp stage areas (rarely a raised stage) with public rights of way through them. One of the reasons I started using a headless bass was because I was tired of people knocking the headstock. The Hulla band has it's own portable staging for festivals and other outdoor events but as it's such a large band (13 at the last count) even that isn't really big enough. And when we play some functions, the band is three deep, four wide with the drummer bringing up the rear. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If I had a quid for every time I had to do my best Bill Wyman impression to allow admission to the bogs - it's not a bass guitar, it's a manually raised barrier!

It's not Your foult !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If I had a quid for every time I had to do my best Bill Wyman impression to allow admission to the bogs - it's not a bass guitar, it's a manually raised barrier!

I've only had the misfortune to have done a gig like this once. It was my penultimate outing with the dad-rock covers band and one of the many deciding factors in me handing my notice in sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've only had the misfortune to have done a gig like this once. It was my penultimate outing with the dad-rock covers band and one of the many deciding factors in me handing my notice in sooner rather than later.

Yep, only encountered it once and once was enough.

• Like 1

My rock 3 piece regrouped with a new drummer to play Salford on Friday. A small show at The Eagle to a crowd I mostly knew. It marked the debut of my Blackstar cab with a drummer and it sounded great. The drummer hadn't even rehearsed with us and he nailed it. 

aa5c8b57-1218-4705-a700-e3c6cfc0088c.thumb.JPG.b162c522052753942659174761990be8.JPG

Saturday was Rockmantic festival in Carlisle. A massive crowd and an Ampeg 8x10 that I didn't think sounded as good as the Blackstar cab the night before (I suspect the room helped). A decent performance but I felt Salford was the best. 

IMG_7997.thumb.JPG.24c1c0984b3534974575fd659de15f82.JPG

A massive drive back to Wiltshire today and I can resume to giging my goth duo locally.

Edited by Cat Burrito
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

People tend to steer clear once they've had a headstock to the head a couple of times. Even our singist has taken the hint 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, WalMan said:

All you lucky people doing gigs with acres of space and without the route to the bogs through the middle of the band! The green eyed monster is here 🤣

Done plenty of those - Used to have a semi regular gig at a bar in Manchester where I had to move out of the way to let people leave.

• Like 2