Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Loud (possibly too loud…)

Lots of drunk people 

Fun.

Depping for @Graham again 🤓

First gig with my (new to me) Super Twin, it did not disappoint. I still need more time to tweak the EQs in my HX preamps to suit the difference between this and my Two10 cabs but it sounded pretty good (from where I was standing…)

Had one punter come take a closer look at my board and rig but he disappeared so no idea what he actually thought 😆

Home for a rest before the madness of Christmas…

IMG_1509.thumb.jpeg.2b6282da203b350694a6e63dccfa246d.jpeg

EDIT TO ADD:

I didn’t play great the whole night. Some of the songs seems to get stuck under my fingers for some reason. It was the first time I’d played Treasure (Bruno Mars) and was looking forward to it but played it like a turnip 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited by Merton
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Last Christmas gig tonight with BLOCKBUSTARZ at The Dreadnought in Bathgate. Has to be THE best venue we play. 

Very very busy, most i've seen in there. Door money split 80/20 to us and we made about £1200 so that was good.

Feedback was excellent with the venue owner and the SE saying we have been THE best act in there all year. High praise indeed as they get some very well established bands in there. SE has done our sound 3 times now and said tonight was just another level for the band, absolutely superb night.

Booked for next Xmas on the Sat night before Xmas plus a date in July too. They booked us last Xmas for this one and next years. 

NEGATIVES. :- drunk guy fell onto the stage between the monitors knocking Lynn's mic stand into her face given her a sore mouth and blood running down from a cut above her eye. Band stopped playing until Lynn managed to stem the blood flow using my hand towel and ice. She is a qualified nurse so knows what she's doing. 

After the gig the singer looked at the 2 wireless units and one has a cracked casing and the other a chipped corner. One of them the display was fading in and out so may be knackered but will check it tomorrow. 

This weekend has been quite eventful with a*s*h***s causing damage to the band and its equipment. Singers gear is covered thru MU so he may have to claim it or we use our band kitty to cover the costs.

Bouncers had to keep people away from the stage front the rest of the night and all credit did a good job after the incident.

Anyways its now Christmas Eve so hope you all have a wonderful Christmas Eve and a very Merry Christmas to you and your families.

Dave

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Merton said:

Loud (possibly too loud…)

Lots of drunk people 

Fun.

Depping for @Graham again 🤓

First gig with my (new to me) Super Twin, it did not disappoint. I still need more time to tweak the EQs in my HX preamps to suit the difference between this and my Two10 cabs but it sounded pretty good (from where I was standing…)

Had one punter come take a closer look at my board and rig but he disappeared so no idea what he actually thought 😆

Home for a rest before the madness of Christmas…

IMG_1509.thumb.jpeg.2b6282da203b350694a6e63dccfa246d.jpeg

What is Naked Bass?

And what is that white bass?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

NEGATIVES. :- drunk guy fell onto the stage between the monitors knocking Lynn's mic stand into her face given her a sore mouth and blood running down from a cut above her eye. Band stopped playing until Lynn managed to stem the blood flow using my hand towel and ice. She is a qualified nurse so knows what she's doing. 

After the gig the singer looked at the 2 wireless units and one has a cracked casing and the other a chipped corner. One of them the display was fading in and out so may be knackered but will check it tomorrow. 

This weekend has been quite eventful with a*s*h***s causing damage to the band and its equipment. Singers gear is covered thru MU so he may have to claim it or we use our band kitty to cover the costs.

Bouncers had to keep people away from the stage front the rest of the night and all credit did a good job after the incident.

😡😤

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

What is Naked Bass?

And what is that white bass?

The name of the band - thankfully I don’t have to live up to that name or there’d be no-one in the pub 🤣

The white bass is an ACG TKO Classic - quite the beast of an instrument. 30.5” scale, limba body with figured ash top, ash neck with rock lite “ebony” fingerboard. ACG pickups styled on a J and a P, passive volume tone 4 way selector switch (J, both parallel, both series, P). It’s a rock machine!

• Like 4

I've had a busy December gigging with various bands and accompanied by a disgusting cold.

Last night we were in a very odd, labarinthine place made up of many small nooks and booths on at least four different levels. We were crammed into a rather pleasant but tiny corner and I ended up sat like a Jackanory narrator in a luxurious armchair.

It was heaven. So exhausted from my germ ridden life on the road I got to recline and play in comfort.

Also my ears were in perfect proximity to the bass cabs so I could hear just how good it sounded.

I used the Demon FX D7K Ultra as a preamp and played my Reverend Triad bass on the middle pickup.

It was glorious.

• Like 19

Bit late to the party but finished a run of Xmas parties last weekend… lovely having the pa and lights set up for us and ready to go. Just tonight and nye left for this year and a few weeks off in Jan. 

e4c00b89-1330-4a6c-a3d0-93d352647a44.jpeg

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 16

Last gig of the year for us last night, supporting Too Late To Atone at The Monarch Bar in Dunfermline. Played a 45 min set, had a blast, cracking crowd. Headline band were superb and looked after us very well. I kept things super simple and skipped the pedalboard, just straight from bass to the amp & PA. Thoroughly enjoyable evening even if my post-set bevvies are having an adverse effect on my head today.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

This was posted on our FB page last night by a local band reviewer for the Dreadnought in Bathgate.

Very humbled by it.

No pics or vids have appeared as yet.

Dave

This year I've had some good nights, some really good nights, some great nights and some exceptional nights in the Dreadnought.. Tonight's gig was on another scale completely... For ny on THREE HOURS the packed Dread was treated to a Christmas Party of epic proportions courtesy of the phenomenal glam rock covers band Blockbustarz... Mike, David, Colin, Lynn and Barry were tinselled up, hairdoed up (Barry had a hat on), silver suited up, glam rock booted up and face painted up to the max.. The crowd were suitably attired as well, with Elton John style glasses, glitter covered hats, Christmas jumpers, flashing light necklaces and tinsel on show.... Appearing on stage to Rock and Roll Part 2, they were straight into the classics, Ballroom Blitz, 21st Century Boy, All of Me Loves All of You and Dance Dance Dance for starters. It was clear from the onset that the crowd were 'up for it'.... It was party central 'doon the front', led off by a lady wearing a white Christmas jumper and Santa Hat (who I was informed was touching 70!), who never stopped 'glamming' for 2 and a half hours before she had to leave for her bus Tremendous...... Some of us 1970's punters knew all of the words, but the younger audience members just boogied along.. The Cat Crept In, Hey Rock n Roll and Glass of Champagne kept the crowd dancing... Can the Can was followed by a Sweet song... As Lynn intoduced it as "This is Mikes song!", I immediately thought it was Hellraiser... Unfortunately for Mike it was Little Willy... (too much info from the Green Room). Virginia Plain, Get it On, and Let it Snow (which had the crowd singing along) kept the pace up. The white Christmas jumper wearing woman was still going 'aff her heid' and enjoying every minute. Coo Ca Choo , Dynamite and Rebel, Rebel saw no let up in the pace, with Mike and Lynn on vocals giving it welly, as was Barry Bazza Haywood on drums (what an incredible glam rock drummer he is), and more than ably assisted by Colin on guitar and David on bass. The stage was a mass of glittery covered suits and strange shaped guitars.. Saturday Night, Schools Out, Crazy Horses and Hellraiser took us and the band to a very well deserved break.. Phenomenal first half.. Waterloo and Teenage Rampage started off the second half before the call of "Where's Hastie?" went up.... It could only be Tell Him from Hello, the best punk/glam/ rock song ever! ... As sure as night follows day and apples fall from trees, I always migrate towards the front.. Now it was game on between me and the santa hat wearer.. Tell Him was followed by, I Love Rock n Roll, Under the Moon of Love and Children of the Revolution before the first Christmas song Lonely This Christmas was played... CLASSIC.... Next up was Rocket and The Jean Genie before we had a stage malfunction....During Let's Stick Together one big lad went down like a giant redwood... backwards. Before you could shout "Timber", a monitor was crushed and Lynn got banjoed on the eye by a mic... ROCK AND ROLL..! As Lynns shiner was appearing the lad was helped up and staggered away... I Love to Boogie and Fox on the Run led us into Merry Christmas Everybody.. MAGNIFICENT.... Come on Feel the Noise, Devil Gate Drive and Wig Wam Bam had me and the 'doon the fronters' giving it 'laldy'... Hot Love, Spirit in the Sky and the Time Warp took us up to Tiger Feet or as Johnstone 'Swagger Panther' Bowes was singing "Panther Feet"..... The big stage diver was back, but was cajoled around the floor and was still enjoying his night. Blockbuster, I Wish it Could Be Christmas Everyday and a rousing Loch Lomondy version of Shang a Lang ended the proceedings.... 100 out of 100 for all concerned tonight.. The bar staff, Pete on sound, floor security. (), door staff, the up for it crowd, the main man Douglas Croft and not forgetting of course the tremendous band... That's what you call a Christmas Night... ..... That's me and my reviews of the music scene over for this year. I hope next year's is just as good.... As Noddy Holder once said.... "Merry Christmas Everybody!" .... Ps.. I heard Lynn is auditioning for the 'Black Eyed Peas"' .... Big Hastie over and out from his big chair where I'm recovering from my 'pogo' off with the Santa hat wearer.... Rock On Folks..

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 26

48 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

This was posted on our FB page last night by a local band reviewer for the Dreadnought in Bathgate.

Very humbled by it.

Dave

This year I've had some good nights, some really good nights, some great nights and some exceptional nights in the Dreadnought.. Tonight's gig was on another scale completely... For ny on THREE HOURS the packed Dread was treated to a Christmas Party of epic proportions courtesy of the phenomenal glam rock covers band Blockbustarz... Mike, David, Colin, Lynn and Barry were tinselled up, hairdoed up (Barry had a hat on), silver suited up, glam rock booted up and face painted up to the max.. The crowd were suitably attired as well, with Elton John style glasses, glitter covered hats, Christmas jumpers, flashing light necklaces and tinsel on show.... Appearing on stage to Rock and Roll Part 2, they were straight into the classics, Ballroom Blitz, 21st Century Boy, All of Me Loves All of You and Dance Dance Dance for starters. It was clear from the onset that the crowd were 'up for it'.... It was party central 'doon the front', led off by a lady wearing a white Christmas jumper and Santa Hat (who I was informed was touching 70!), who never stopped 'glamming' for 2 and a half hours before she had to leave for her bus Tremendous...... Some of us 1970's punters knew all of the words, but the younger audience members just boogied along.. The Cat Crept In, Hey Rock n Roll and Glass of Champagne kept the crowd dancing... Can the Can was followed by a Sweet song... As Lynn intoduced it as "This is Mikes song!", I immediately thought it was Hellraiser... Unfortunately for Mike it was Little Willy... (too much info from the Green Room). Virginia Plain, Get it On, and Let it Snow (which had the crowd singing along) kept the pace up. The white Christmas jumper wearing woman was still going 'aff her heid' and enjoying every minute. Coo Ca Choo , Dynamite and Rebel, Rebel saw no let up in the pace, with Mike and Lynn on vocals giving it welly, as was Barry Bazza Haywood on drums (what an incredible glam rock drummer he is), and more than ably assisted by Colin on guitar and David on bass. The stage was a mass of glittery covered suits and strange shaped guitars.. Saturday Night, Schools Out, Crazy Horses and Hellraiser took us and the band to a very well deserved break.. Phenomenal first half.. Waterloo and Teenage Rampage started off the second half before the call of "Where's Hastie?" went up.... It could only be Tell Him from Hello, the best punk/glam/ rock song ever! ... As sure as night follows day and apples fall from trees, I always migrate towards the front.. Now it was game on between me and the santa hat wearer.. Tell Him was followed by, I Love Rock n Roll, Under the Moon of Love and Children of the Revolution before the first Christmas song Lonely This Christmas was played... CLASSIC.... Next up was Rocket and The Jean Genie before we had a stage malfunction....During Let's Stick Together one big lad went down like a giant redwood... backwards. Before you could shout "Timber", a monitor was crushed and Lynn got banjoed on the eye by a mic... ROCK AND ROLL..! As Lynns shiner was appearing the lad was helped up and staggered away... I Love to Boogie and Fox on the Run led us into Merry Christmas Everybody.. MAGNIFICENT.... Come on Feel the Noise, Devil Gate Drive and Wig Wam Bam had me and the 'doon the fronters' giving it 'laldy'... Hot Love, Spirit in the Sky and the Time Warp took us up to Tiger Feet or as Johnstone 'Swagger Panther' Bowes was singing "Panther Feet"..... The big stage diver was back, but was cajoled around the floor and was still enjoying his night. Blockbuster, I Wish it Could Be Christmas Everyday and a rousing Loch Lomondy version of Shang a Lang ended the proceedings.... 100 out of 100 for all concerned tonight.. The bar staff, Pete on sound, floor security. (), door staff, the up for it crowd, the main man Douglas Croft and not forgetting of course the tremendous band... That's what you call a Christmas Night... ..... That's me and my reviews of the music scene over for this year. I hope next year's is just as good.... As Noddy Holder once said.... "Merry Christmas Everybody!" .... Ps.. I heard Lynn is auditioning for the 'Black Eyed Peas"' .... Big Hastie over and out from his big chair where I'm recovering from my 'pogo' off with the Santa hat wearer.... Rock On Folks..

Now that's a review!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is he getting the tats? Or just five minutes with a Sharpie? 😁

A few transfers and a bit of pen! The pen ran a bit when he got sweaty but it was a belter of a first gig. Shifted 100 tickets with bare minimum promotion really. It was definitely a pleasant surprise! We'll be investing a lot into advertising campaigns for next year now we have the first gig under our belt. We werent sure it was going to work! 

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

• Like 15

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Very humbled by it.

Dave

Nice one Dave!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nearly forgot to write a report 

We were back at the Cow & Telescope in Southend on Saturday night. We played out debut there a couple of months ago but we must have left a good impression as we were invited back for this prime Saturday before Xmas when another band had to pull out. Apparently a number of other bands requested the slot but the venue wanted us.

I did wonder what sort of turn out it would be, given it was the Saturday before Xmas but also the first day of a long break at home for many people. My fears were unwarranted as we had a great turnout. And everyone was up for a proper party. Singing, dancing and joining in from the start. The usual Christmas songs went down well and our super-sub, Sophie, I reckon did her best yet with us. Fab night and back slaps all round.

• Like 12

On 23/12/2023 at 08:38, mep said:

GYOW is in our set an is a great gun to play. The chorus is a fantastic bassline.

It’s been in our regular set for years. Great fun to play, and sing with those big harmonies. It never fails to get the crowd joining in.

We do a little bit at the end to give our drummer a little spotlight too.

• Like 3

First gig back with new singer, 3 months work to get a set together, and a Boxing Day Gig at Herefords premier live music venue.  All the hard work paid off and we pulled it off, landlord happy, punters had good time, was good to get back out there!

af21d8b2-3fe9-427a-a006-af88654478e8.jpeg

• Like 10