Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I get it. I'm new to working with smoke machines . I hope ours are water based like Dave mentioned.

Daryl

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Check the smoke nozzle Daryl. If it's oil based it'll have oil residue on the nozzle. If its water based it will be dry.

If it's oil based make sure not to point it towards anyone's gear as it will leave a residue on the gear.

Played a gig a few years ago and their smoke machine was oil based and it was right in front of my pedal board. I had to clean the full board when i got it home. I didn't spot  it until we were all set up and they fired it up.

Dave

Many years ago I had a water based smoke machine, but the guitarist still complained about it and said it affected his asthma. I called BS and said it might be something to do with all those cigarettes he was getting through!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Smoke machine always on the floor when i use them. Usually i try to keep it out of sight. Find out where any draughts are coming from and position it to blow across the stage. 

With our Glam band wearing costumes and wigs we tend to have large fans at each end of the stage so a smoke machine just doesn't work very well.

Dave

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I get it. I'm new to working with smoke machines . I hope ours are water based like Dave mentioned.

Daryl

I remember being put in charge of the footswitch for the smoke machine but not being told it only needed a short press to get a reasonable spread. Cue me standing on it for far too long as nothing appeared to be happening, and the pub being completely filled and resembling a scene from The Fog 🤣

On another occasion my bandmates previous band that carried a big stage show of props and costumes (think The Tubes or Alice Cooper) had an idea to create a dry ice waterfall from over the lights behind the drummer (old PARcans that created a lot of heat in pre LED days). Rigged a tube from the machine to the light bar. Came to use the effect during the set but by the time the cloud got to the end of the tube it had largely condensed so instead of a nice cloud effect the drummer was sat under a cold shower 🤦‍♂️🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Three gigs for us this week, all over the place too!

First was in Stamford on Thursday night. The Corn Exchange is a great theatre in the picturesque 

town centre. Largely run by volunteers, it’s always a good place for us and we sell it out too,( although

only seats around 400 so it’s one of the smaller venues we regularly do.) Great crowd and atmosphere,

and I got to meet up with an old school mate who I haven’t seen in over 40 years!

Last night we were at The Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, an iconic venue with views over the channel.

Had a dreadful journey there though, with the M20 partly closed due to trucks being held there due

to channel ferry cancellations with the appalling weather conditions. Really blustery all the way,

I was struggling to keep our bus in a straight line a lot of the time. Anyway, we arrived a bit late

but got soundchecked quickly. Not an easy place sound wise, but for the first time we flew the

top part of the PA and it worked great. First time we’ve sold the venue out with 830 people in.

There’s room for dancing at the sides which is great, some people up almost straight away!

Really appreciative crowd, all in all a cracking gig.

Today we’re driving up to Stevenage, so just hope the weather lets up.

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

2f9d4838-473c-4fa7-bf96-78c7bfac3cab.jpeg

4bc75de9-07ca-4f37-a892-5eb536e4121e.jpeg

• Like 23

11 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Any chance of a bit of Mr Blue Sky? 🤞

Hope so Mick. Being northerners we sometimes think weather reports for southern regions are maybe

a bit exaggerated, but you’ve had it grim down here just lately. Seen loads of trees down and the sea

front last night in Folkestone was wild. Still blustery here today ( we are near Canterbury ATM) so hope 

things improve as the day goes on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Hope so Mick. Being northerners we sometimes think weather reports for southern regions are maybe

a bit exaggerated, but you’ve had it grim down here just lately. Seen loads of trees down and the sea

front last night in Folkestone was wild. Still blustery here today ( we are near Canterbury ATM) so hope 

things improve as the day goes on.

Good luck and safe travels! It was pretty stormy in Bournemouth at 7 this am (off to Craven Cottage to see Fulham - United).

• Like 2

Last night was playing with Nine Lives at the Black Dog in Bridge of Don, Aberdeen.  Usually this has been a bit of a damp squib of a gig with very low attendances (like single figures) but things were a bit better last night, double figures (!) like maybe 20 at peak.  Just as well there were a few folk there who were well into it, they count double - up dancing for most songs, a few "FK YEAH"s after some songs, it all helps!

Playing with a borrowed head (thanks to a local fellow bass player I've known for many years for stepping in and bailing me out after my amp died at rehearsal on Wednesday) and a single Markbass NY121 cab, it was surprisingly punchy!  Using the Wunkay in OMG mode all night probably helped also...

More fun tonight at Wilsons, slap bang in the centre of Aberdeen.  Usually a great night there, looking forward to it.

BlackDoggear20231103.thumb.jpg.2d8b4583e91a9a53d3a5312ff16a6c18.jpg

• Like 15

4 hours ago, casapete said:

First was in Stamford on Thursday night. The Corn Exchange is a great theatre in the picturesque 

town centre. Largely run by volunteers, it’s always a good place for us and we sell it out too,( although

only seats around 400 so it’s one of the smaller venues we regularly do.) Great crowd and atmosphere,

and I got to meet up with an old school mate who I haven’t seen in over 40 years!

Last night we were at The Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, an iconic venue with views over the channel.

Had a dreadful journey there though, with the M20 partly closed due to trucks being held there due

to channel ferry cancellations with the appalling weather conditions. Really blustery all the way,

I was struggling to keep our bus in a straight line a lot of the time. Anyway, we arrived a bit late

but got soundchecked quickly. Not an easy place sound wise, but for the first time we flew the

top part of the PA and it worked great. First time we’ve sold the venue out with 830 people in.

There’s room for dancing at the sides which is great, some people up almost straight away!

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

That’s a lovely looking venue!

• Like 2

Headlined the German beer festival and fireworks event at Alexandra Palace with the Joel Coombes’ Elton John tribute on Friday. 

Almost certainly the biggest audience I’ve played to, and a really lovely party vibe there. View from the stage was magic watching a few thousand people dancing and singing along. What a tremendous night out. 

Much smaller gig tonight at Leicester’s Musician pub - a fundraiser in aid of a well respected local musician and soundman. Should be a good night too though. 

2b6c767a-a5b8-4c7d-b80a-bf8d281a58b3.jpeg

IMG_0061.jpeg

• Like 21

4 hours ago, casapete said:

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

Nice to see things going from strength to strength mate. BTW spoke to a couple of guys in the week who I believe have worked with you in the past, Mike Harrison (drummer) and Colin Powell (bass, guitar) who pass on their best.

• Like 2

Belle Isle club just outside Leeds last night, my this is a big club. An enthusiastic audience and a good night for the Glam lads after a 3 week lay off. 
Sadly 2 weeks off now as next weeks venue in Huddersfield has gone to the wall, fortunately busy after that though until into the new year.IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.e2106a2417942d6833dc8d2db7364dc8.jpeg

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Belle Isle club just outside Leeds last night, my this is a big club. An enthusiastic audience and a good night for the Glam lads after a 3 week lay off. 
Sadly 2 weeks off now as next weeks venue in Huddersfield has gone to the wall, fortunately busy after that though until into the new year.IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.e2106a2417942d6833dc8d2db7364dc8.jpeg

Looks like a decent size stage their Mart. Nice one.

Dave

• Like 2

Got a Blue Angels gig tonight with the punk band Emergency Exit so that'll be interesting as always.

At least its not pissing down and blowing a gale like the other times i've played there. 

The very small stage area is right next to front door and every time the door opened throughout the night i got an icy blast on my neck. It got so bad i put my hoodie on last time i was there. I was absolutely frozen down my left side.

Its not like you can complain to them :biggrin:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 7

Friday evening's gig suffered somewhat attendance-wise from people wanting to see bangs and flashes. We played well and it was good to see a number of friends turn out specially to see us. We threw in a couple of requests we don't usually do, as crowd pleasers. After last week's adventures of having a smoke machine enforced on us (which a lot of people were very unhappy about), my voice has done what I feared it would do most of the week. Yes, it started to go.

Saturday evening's gig was interesting, as  the booking turned into a joint birthday bash and they asked us to turn up and be ready for 8pm, at which point they would do karaoke until 9pm and again from 11pm. The early karaoke didn't happen. We started at 9 and did 45 mins and made way for a buffet.  Back on 10.15 to 10.45 and my voice simply disintegrated.

We have our jam night tomorrow and I'm dreading getting through that.
We don't cancel things as a rule and our guitarist can get us through it with the stuff he sings, as long as we have a good turn out.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

Blue Angels gig tonight with Emergency Exit punk covers band was same as always. Few girls dancing and a general lack of interest until we finished and then we got a lot of compliments.

They even said we could purchase one of their Tee-shirts but i didn't have enough cash and by the end of the night their merchandise was put in a van and away somewhere. Maybe next time.

Band played well with only one mistook in one of the new songs so not too bad at all.

The guy that organises it supplies the PA and a few flashing lights so its an easy gig to be honest plus they always give us a hand with gear. I literally didn't lift anything into the gig. 

Seriously what other gig do you get that.

Free food laid on too altho it was for everyone who was there but they know how to feed themselves.

Lot of unusual smells coming from the back rooms too but best not go there. Lets just say i could have floated to my car at the end of the night.

Nice wee hours drive across country.

Dave

• Like 16

@casapete's 'The ELO Experience' played in Stevenage last night.  I went along with my other half and an ELO loving cousin.  I got to meet Pete before the gig; its nice to meet up with people from here.

Pete will have to tell us how this compared to his other gigs but I thought it was a great night.  I can't remember seeing so many old people dancing at a gig!  ELO were really prolific in the 70s so if you are 60 or older you would know many of their songs, and the audience were mainly over 60s... and we all knew the songs!

I recommend anyone on here to go and see The ELO Experience when they next play near you.  I will be seeing them again.

Me and Pete before the gig (Pete has the shorter hair).

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

casapete's 'The ELO Experience' played in Stevenage last night.  I went along with my other half and an ELO loving cousin.  I got to meet Pete before the gig; its nice to meet up with people from here.

Good to meet up with you Bill, and thanks for posting your pictures.

This was our last gig of 3, a venue we’ve played regularly since I joined the band. We got here a bit early,

so I had a walk up to Coda Music in Stevenage Old Town. Still a brilliant shop, mainly for guitars but they

had a selection of basses in there too.

The gig was virtually sold out, so just over 800 punters in the room, which is a bit sports hallish with 

accompanying sound! Got it sounding okay after a while, but one of those gigs where your amp 

doesn’t sound anything like the night before, so a rare change of my eq needed ( I know, that’s what

it’s there for etc). Gig went well, followed by a long drive home up the A1. Only two more gigs now left

to play this year - would have been three but Carlisle Sands venue closed due to suspected concrete

construction issues. 

4869e889-0f68-4eab-abcc-c70475325922.jpeg

c1652ef5-db7a-4277-b02d-38bc1cba5295.jpeg

• Like 20

Much more modest gig with the covers band in a village hall to raise cash for its maintenance and a defibrillator. Two of the guys live in the village, hence doing a freebie. Managed to co-opt another local band to start the show. I used to play guitar for them about 5 years ago and recognised quite a lot of their material, which is mostly self penned.

Our session went pretty well, despite the usual set up hassles resulting from lending your gear to the opening act. Most notable challenges for me were the A string going flat by a whole semitone in the first number (will have to check if there is an issue with the machine head) and flagging speed at the end of set two, which has about 6 rock and roll numbers in a row (I’m getting old). 

For the gear heads: Peavey Max 150 combo on an Auralex isolator (compensate for wooden suspended stage), Peterson Strobostomp HD, Valeton Dapper Bass, Boss wireless system, custom made P/J short scale by Tony Edwards Guitars and Nordstrand Acinonyx.

Lots of compliments at the end but not many dancers that I could see. Home by just after midnight, so not too bad.

• Like 12

Halloween celebration last night with the Hulla Band. It was in our local rehearsal hall and a freebie for the village locals who support the band. Donations were collected for a local homeless charity. We had a good crowd who came in fancy dress ready for a dance and sing along.

The performance was a bit chaotic as the beer and wine had been flowing for a while before we kicked off at 8pm. The first half was about 90 minutes and then, after a 15 minute break, we played for another 2 hours. The last few songs suffered from the alcohol and if I'm honest I didn't enjoy the second half as both me and the drummer, being commuters to this village, were not drinking and therefore very aware of the chaos. The crowd loved it, (the feedback is coming through as I type) and the donations flowed all night so overall it was a success. But it's a shame we didn't play better as the atmosphere was great.  

Everything went through the desk and we have a good regular sound guy so the FOH sound was good. I was using an Ampeg SVT patch on my Zoom MS60b which cut through the mix nicely and gave me a little bit of grit on a couple of songs where I played with a pick. I was using in-ears and the sound from my bass was nice and clear in that mix. I had a couple of compliments about my playing - obviously they didn't hear the mistakes, of which there were a few. I have one of those blame shifter pedals on permanently. 😂

DSCG1034.thumb.jpg.2a36f513ec49f5ca7dd0ff6581d628f8.jpg

DSCG1038.jpg.9b72082260da0d525540590f5ef78d51.jpg

DSCG1075.thumb.jpg.1650f5377f5f91602ea2da59e51ac287.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

That’s a lovely looking venue!

The Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone is quite an iconic place. I’d guess it is from the art deco era, and is situated

on the side of the cliff overlooking the English Channel. It’s quite a challenge reversing our vans down 

the track to the load in area! Backstage there are lots of photos of bands who’ve played there over the years,

including The Stones, Thin Lizzy, Quo, Judas Priest, Ozzy and Motörhead.

( They must be slumming it these days having tribute bands on like ours! )

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

! Backstage there are lots of photos of bands who’ve played there over the years,

including The Stones, Thin Lizzy, Quo, Judas Priest, Ozzy and Motörhead.

( They must be slumming it these days having tribute bands on like ours! )

What are you on about? The Stones are their own tribute!😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last night at Wilsons in Aberdeen, and it was a great night as usual. Great to see a few familiar faces and had a good crowd overall with lots of dancing and a few new folk getting right into it.  Also had Gordon the "guitarist" up for a few numbers, showing us right up as usual!

I played OK until near the end - I shut my left index finger in a door at work on Thursday and by the end of last night's gig it was starting to let me know that it had had enough of pushing down bass strings.  Thankfully I managed to give it a breather in the second to last song (an easy 4 chord "quiet" number that I could busk through using middle and pinkie), which is just as well, as we got two ONE MORE CHOONs.  It would have been three, but the landlord signalled no from the bar, lol.

Two week rest now, finger is OK, just got bruised in its encounter with the door so should hopefully be fine by then.

Last night's weapon of choice was the G&L Tribute LB-100, because I can't even P bass properly, let alone play the damn thing! ;)

Wilsonsgear20231104.thumb.jpg.9f66c174b4dc81850a592ad4e8d21e8e.jpg

• Like 15

So last night’s performance at the Musician in Leicester was the easy bit - getting to and from the venue proved a bit more difficult. 

My route took in a flooded road on the way out of my village (and having to drive slowly along a pavement to get past it), diversions along back routes to avoid traffic from to two separate Bonfire Night displays, then another snarl up blocking my main route into the city, more back street short cuts and eventually driving round and round looking for any remotely plausible available parking spaces near the venue.

Trip home was less eventful for me, unlike the occupants of the car which had left the road and ploughed into the centre of the roundabout on the outskirts of my village. Ambulance etc in attendance so fingers crossed everyone is ok. 

PS gig was lovely though. A fundraiser for a local musician who’s unwell. Lots of familiar faces/old friends etc and some good music from the various bands all taking part. 

• Like 15