Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

46 minutes ago, martthebass said:

And there’s me thinking it was your own hair 😂

That reminds me, it’s time to wash me hair…..

656D80BC-CDC1-4ADC-B229-9DD27899421F.thumb.jpeg.16e2b9c38fa79c1f30f0254737050406.jpeg

It is my own hair but like all good bass players they have a back up in event of a bad hair day :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Katy Hurt and The Jackson Line at Sutton’s Sound Lounge. A wicked little cafe/bar/venue with a great vibe, a great bunch of guys running it and unfortunately last night a dicky PA. One monitor was swapped and then the replacement failed during our set, at least one PA too went as well. Poor  sound man Jono was having a night to forget! And I managed to unplug the lead from my bass to pedalboard between tuning and hitting the first note of the first song about 30s later, cue embarrassing scuffling around..

Apart from that, what a fun night. The Jackson Line, much like Gasoline and Matches last week, are a lovely bunch of people and play some great songs with amazing tight vocal harmonies. And despite our technical and idiot bassist gremlins we had a blast. Old and new songs played to die hard and new fans, a really cool vibe onstage and between band and audience. One to remember for a while!

The Jackson Line:

IMG_1126.thumb.jpeg.1a1ed01548b2488d6f1f37b0ed5fcde6.jpeg

Katy Hurt and her idiotic bassist:

IMG_8926.thumb.jpeg.ffaf4beb696c9cda80c38300acd414b7.jpeg

• Like 16

We supported Original Punks, 999 at a cosy little pub (The Victoria) in Birmingham. It's probably about 100 people max allowed in! 

Unfortunately, I had The Cold From Hell (first for years!) - I'd got over the aches'n'chills and was on the dribbling and feeling a tiny bit less duff stage. I even wore a mask in the car to make an attempt at protecting 2 of my bandmates who were getting a lift from me, though who knows?

Anyway, deliberately arrived only half an hour before we were due to go on as it was line check only, after we finally managed to get the previous band off stage (they took forever unplugging a guitar and bass, possibly to to over-refreshment) and found a space for my Markbass 4x10 with Crown PA head (firing across the stage!), plus a little niche for me, my Wal and Helix to stand in, we could get going. And despite the venue being tiny, and everything mic-ed/DI-ed up it was not too loud (unheard of!) and sound was great both on and off-stage. Cheers Mr Soundman! I was also very pleased with a new patch I'd made with some GK drive and Ampeg sound in parallel and mixed with a spot of reverb compressed both front and back end - it cut through beautifully and I managed to get far more of The Funk into our songs than usual (normally, as the sound is an overloud unholy mess there's no point!), which was nice!

Crowd were very appreciative, though being mainly Original Punx Of A Certain Age too there wasn't much dancefloor action.

Still, we sold some merch, and one of the CD buyers insisted on us all signing it. Fame!!!

Sneaked off immediately afterwards making sure that everyone had congratulated me for being a brave soldier, to discover that the Hagley Road was closed, meaning teh quickes way was via M6, M54 and Much Wenlock, probably 20 miles extra. But rewarded myself with a rather fine dram of Ludlow single malt whisky.

ChokedBham999-12-10-23.jpg

• Like 19

We played at the Fox and Hounds, nr Watford, last night.  Small but appreciative crowd, particularly after the football had finished.  Like most of our gigs recently, the crowd gets more enthusiastic as the night goes on, no doubt helped by beer, and for the last few songs people start dancing.

This was the first time I had taken the Reverend Decision P out for a gig; I love this bass.

thumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 16

4 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

We supported Original Punks, 999 at a cosy little pub (The Victoria) in Birmingham. It's probably about 100 people max allowed in! 

Unfortunately, I had The Cold From Hell (first for years!) - I'd got over the aches'n'chills and was on the dribbling and feeling a tiny bit less duff stage. I even wore a mask in the car to make an attempt at protecting 2 of my bandmates who were getting a lift from me, though who knows?

Anyway, deliberately arrived only half an hour before we were due to go on as it was line check only, after we finally managed to get the previous band off stage (they took forever unplugging a guitar and bass, possibly to to over-refreshment) and found a space for my Markbass 4x10 with Crown PA head (firing across the stage!), plus a little niche for me, my Wal and Helix to stand in, we could get going. And despite the venue being tiny, and everything mic-ed/DI-ed up it was not too loud (unheard of!) and sound was great both on and off-stage. Cheers Mr Soundman! I was also very pleased with a new patch I'd made with some GK drive and Ampeg sound in parallel and mixed with a spot of reverb compressed both front and back end - it cut through beautifully and I managed to get far more of The Funk into our songs than usual (normally, as the sound is an overloud unholy mess there's no point!), which was nice!

Crowd were very appreciative, though being mainly Original Punx Of A Certain Age too there wasn't much dancefloor action.

Still, we sold some merch, and one of the CD buyers insisted on us all signing it. Fame!!!

Sneaked off immediately afterwards making sure that everyone had congratulated me for being a brave soldier, to discover that the Hagley Road was closed, meaning teh quickes way was via M6, M54 and Much Wenlock, probably 20 miles extra. But rewarded myself with a rather fine dram of Ludlow single malt whisky.

I saw 999 (and the Lurkers) a few times back in the day. They always put on a good show.  I would feel honoured to support them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BillyBass said:

I saw 999 (and the Lurkers) a few times back in the day. They always put on a good show.  I would feel honoured to support them.

I didn't even stay as I felt so sh?t! And I'd never seen 'em before. But I did have a chat with them, decent blokes, carrying their own gear... Hopefully I didn't infect them - mask may have helped.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Hope it wasn't this covid revival we keep hearing about but sounds like you had a great gig there. Nice support slot with 999 too. Well done.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is quite a lot of Covid in Birmingham, and round West Brom. :sad:

If you need to wear a mask on stage then get a tie-dye one to match a 'Dudes t-shirt, or a grinning skull for a punk band. 😉

Edited by Richard R
Tie-dye not tie-die!! D'oh!
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Hope it wasn't this covid

I used my final test to discover that it's a mere cold or perhaps flu.

Though last time I had COVID (a year ago) I was under the weather for a day, this has been going since Tuesday and still feeling duff!

Perhaps COVID jabs work! Or perhaps this happened to be my nemesis ManFlu... My Mrs has it now and is showing a slight sniffle!

Still, it proves you can use a Wal for punk!!!!

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I used my final test to discover that it's a mere cold or perhaps flu.

Though last time I had COVID (a year ago) I was under the weather for a day, this has been going since Tuesday and still feeling duff!

Perhaps COVID jabs work! Or perhaps this happened to be my nemesis ManFlu... My Mrs has it now and is showing a slight sniffle!

Still, it proves you can use a Wal for punk!!!!

And use it very well i have to say.

I had covid in March this year and it was no more than a runny nose.

Don't even know where you get the test kits from nowadays.

Dave

• Like 1

Haven't gigged since march, but we released a new album yesterday and had a launch party gig in London at the fiddler's elbow. Typically fraught and hectic as we were managing the night, but blew the cob webs off and played pretty reasonably. Album seemed to go down well - single 43 minute concept track/album... here's part of the intro. ✌️

Bandcamp https://gevaudan.bandcamp.com/album/umbra

Spotify https://spotify.link/k0JzVOgrTDb

FB_IMG_1697297079902.thumb.jpg.55318fddec1f98ae5e4418de04da8ad3.jpg

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Like 15

It was ok, a local ish venue that was new to us. Nice enough folks and warm reception. Some of our lot travelled the 40 mins or so to see us. We used the in house rig and engineer, so I took a Headrush for monitoring rather than trust a stranger with my IEM feed. I’m Still ‘running in’ my new bass. It’s had a few ‘quirks and features’ which have taken some fixing, and at an acoustic gig this afternoon its issues reared their head again, despite it being fine last night. It’s going back to bass hospital for another check up next week. 
just noticed singer is missing in the bottom pic, which means it must have been taken during ‘figure it out’ :)

IMG_8742.jpeg

IMG_8745.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 15

Solo acoustic guitar and vocal

gig at the Organ Grinder real ale pub at Loughborough.

Had some gremlins in the first half - one speaker not working and the other one buzzing annoyingly. Got it sorted at half time and the culprit seemed to be a pedal

power supply!

Nice crowd, some good singing along and made feel very welcome! 

Update - buzzing traced to the shredded cable on my Boss pedal adaptor. That’ll do it then… 

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 11

Tonight was... interesting.

We were second to last on a bill after a GNR tribute act, whose bassist was the musical organiser for the event and whose equipment we were all sharing. The bass rig in question was a Darkglass Alpha-Omega and Barefaced Four10. Except the poor guy was rushed to hospital on Friday night so wasn't around to give the lowdown as his band pulled out.

I watched one of the earlier acts, an Oasis tribute, and their bass sound through the Darkglass/Barefaced was immense, with a Fender Ultra Jazz being their bassist's weapon of choice – things are good in the Oasis tribute band game it seems! The band before us was a last minute replacement Blink-182 tribute, whose bassist brought his own amp.

I'm not sure what happened between them packing up and us setting up, but I could barely hear myself through the rig. Even crouched in front of the speaker and with the master volume maxed I should have been deafened, but not even close. So I was largely relying on muscle memory – again – to get me through where I didn't have a clear run without being buried under our guitarist in the mix. To be fair she and our keyboardist, who were on the other side of the stage to me, also said the mix was rubbish, so at least it wasn't just me that got shafted.

Still, apparently we went down a storm and have been asked to play the same event next year. Which is nice. It was also the first time my little boy (he's at the front wearing a Power Rangers costume in the top photo) has seen me play and he really enjoyed it – he even asked for my autograph when we got home!

PXL_20231014_182148841.jpg

PXL_20231014_182136186.jpg

PXL_20231014_235305079.jpg

• Like 19