Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

It's a Hofner long scale Verythin. I bought it new in 2016 and it's been all around Europe and maybe 6 tours of the UK. Probably one of my cheaper but most used basses. 

IMG_5274.jpg.25f3efbe991ef152cfe304d442ff904d.jpg

A few years back Cream City Music had a huge Hofner Inventory and I blew the opportunity to buy one.

I ended up with a German made Hofner Club Bass.

Blue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm still looking for a flautist who'll duet it with me!

I went through a Jethro Tull phase, about 40 years ago.  I bought a flute but failed to find anyone to teach me how to play it, the teachers advertising flute lessons only seemed to be interested in school kids taking exams.  So I gave up.  I imagine there are online lessons these days. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ezbass said:

IIRC Ian Anderson taught himself.

As an adult, I love learning new things, and being an adult I have learnt that to learn one must knuckle down and put in the, sometimes monotonous, work to achieve that.  The rewards can be life changing.

I bought the flute when I was a teenager.

• Like 3

Although primarily a sax and bass player I worked hard on my flauting some years back and still love it as an instrument, but in my band at the time the only opportunity to use it was for 16 bars of Nights in White Satin and some riffs and a chorus on Moondance, so it gradually fell out of use - I’ve not used it in any of my following three bands for seven years. I need to get off my a*se and start playing it again (even if just in private); what a waste of a sweet sound otherwise...

• Like 4

I wanted to play the flute, all the more so after a cross-Channel ferry crossing, where one of the cooks took pity on my partner (at the time...) and I, sheltering in the garage with no money, after our round trip of France. He invited us to the crew's quarters, and fed us royally, whilst regaling us with tales from his other, out of season, job as a flautist with a national orchestra. He recommended, for a beginner such as myself, to look at the Yamaha range, and go for a silver head if I could. My budget was understandably low, but it mattered little in the end, as I found that a stupid previous accident at school (trapping my pinky finger in the jamb of a heavy oak door...) had resulted in a badly-set fracture, and my finger did not have a 'normal'  movement. It was impossible to use the R4 and roller keys, so I stayed with drumming. Darn it..! :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Played the 100 club last night with the Martin Abrahams band, Tuesday blues thingy, we played pretty good,nice to to able to hear my bvs clearly for a change. Took my old smithy BT4 with my MC 924 as spare in case. Nice that for once I didn’t have to drive either and also glad I didn’t book any work in for today!  Looking forward to a bit of a lay in , int morning 😊x

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I wanted to play the flute, all the more so after a cross-Channel ferry crossing, where one of the cooks took pity on my partner (at the time...) and I, sheltering in the garage with no money, after our round trip of France. He invited us to the crew's quarters, and fed us royally, whilst regaling us with tales from his other, out of season, job as a flautist with a national orchestra. He recommended, for a beginner such as myself, to look at the Yamaha range, and go for a silver head if I could. My budget was understandably low, but it mattered little in the end, as I found that a stupid previous accident at school (trapping my pinky finger in the jamb of a heavy oak door...) had resulted in a badly-set fracture, and my finger did not have a 'normal'  movement. It was impossible to use the R4 and roller keys, so I stayed with drumming. Darn it..! :(

Look at it more as flautism's* loss being drumming's gain... 🙂

* Yeah, I know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've received some 'punter' clips from our recent outing (23/09...) at the 'Welcome's Bar', Luitré, France. Nearly 18 minutes, if you can stomach it; the very last section shows the stoicism of Our Eldest doing what he can with a busted string. The all-round ambiance can be seen, I think. Here's the montage, enjoy :friends:...

Edit : I forgot to add a nod and a wink to @FinnDave . He'll understand (I hope...)... :hi: ;)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 16

On 10/10/2023 at 18:53, BillyBass said:

I went through a Jethro Tull phase, about 40 years ago.  I bought a flute but failed to find anyone to teach me how to play it, the teachers advertising flute lessons only seemed to be interested in school kids taking exams.  So I gave up.  I imagine there are online lessons these days. 

I was loaned a flute, but got nowhere with it.

• Like 2

Private Event

Maple Road

This Saturday 10/14

Fiddlemore Farm Holloween Tent Party.

We start at 5:00

The weather is suppose to be cold and rainy. However there's a nice stage in the tent and it's heated.

I love private events. We're expecting around 70-80 Maple Road fans.

I'll let know how it went on Sunday.

Blue

FB_IMG_1697067518721.jpg

FB_IMG_1697146439383.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I've received some 'punter' clips from our recent outing (23/09...) at the 'Welcome's Bar', Luitré, France. Nearly 18 minutes, if you can stomach it; the very last section shows the stoicism of Our Eldest doing what he can with a busted string. The all-round ambiance can be seen, I think. Here's the montage, enjoy :friends:...

Edit : I forgot to add a nod and a wink to @FinnDave . He'll understand (I hope...)... :hi: ;)

Sounds good to me.

Blue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That T shirt looks very familiar. Grateful Dudes by any chance ?

Enjoyed that. Looks like a fun night.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That T shirt looks very familiar. Grateful Dudes by any chance ?

Enjoyed that. Looks like a fun night.

Dave

I wonder where that came from? I used to have the entire stock upstairs, they were made by a chap in Totnes. Small world!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I wonder where that came from? I used to have the entire stock upstairs, they were made by a chap in Totnes. Small world!

In fact i might even wear mine at our punk gig on Sat night.

A T shirt for all occasions :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2