Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We're booked on Saturday for 2 x 60 min sets for agreed fee, and have been told that if its going well on the night and the landlord wants us to carry on then we can play for longer and charge extra.

For the last few gigs we have been playing for nearly 3 hours when the booking was 2 x 60 mins. I like playing, and generally happy to carry on for a few encores but an extra 45/60 mins can get a bit much, and I find the quality & (my) enthusiasm suffers a bit

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, markbunney said:

We're booked on Saturday for 2 x 60 min sets for agreed fee, and have been told that if its going well on the night and the landlord wants us to carry on then we can play for longer and charge extra.

For the last few gigs we have been playing for nearly 3 hours when the booking was 2 x 60 mins. I like playing, and generally happy to carry on for a few encores but an extra 45/60 mins can get a bit much, and I find the quality & (my) enthusiasm suffers a bit

Ditto!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

At least you've got a day between them to recover, would have sucked doing the late gig the night before the afternoon gig...  It's bad enough doing two late ones back to back.

Agreed, initially I thought they were back to back. Having Saturday to recover is a blessing. 

Blue

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markbunney said:

Exactly what i find. 2hrs is about perfect for my stamina and to save me getting blisters on my wee fingertips. At 2 hrs i can control it, any more and it gets quite difficult sometimes cramp sets in  after about 2hrs 30 mins.

Dave 

• Like 2

One of the bands I play in has a BL who just doesn't want to stop playing (unless the landlord steps in) - if a single drunk shouts 'More!' after four encores, he wants to carry on...usually said drunk wanders off during the song anyway and you're left playing to an increasingly tired crowd, who are worrying about Last Orders and getting a taxi ordered...  It happened a couple of weeks ago, after the fifth encore I put my bass down and went to the bog...that usually does it...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Most encores i've done are 2 no matter how much an audience shout for more. Normally just one but on the very rare occasion at venues we know and play regularly with both bands we will do an extra song. At that particular venue they run a rock night club upstairs so we usually ask the owner / manager for permission to do any more than one encore.

Any more than 2 is generally a bit poor taste in my opinion.

Dave

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Most encores i've done are 2 no matter how much an audience shout for more. Normally just one but on the very rare occasion at venues we know and play regularly with both bands we will do an extra song. At that particular venue they run a rock night club upstairs so we usually ask the owner / manager for permission to do any more than one encore.

Any more than 2 is generally a bit poor taste in my opinion.

Dave

we try and keep the 2 encores in the main set as popular/well known hits that majority of people will know and sing & dance two.

Once it gets past that, then the extra encores are spares/under rehearsed songs which don't always hit the mark - they are not in the main set for a reason!

We are a new band, only 7 gigs in, so still finding our way as to what works best for us and the venues round here.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I sympathise - last Saturday we were due to finish at 11, our singist went for 5 encores and finished just after 11.30, only because the bar staff put the lights out...

It's unfair on bar staff who have to wait while you pack up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

One of the bands I play in has a BL who just doesn't want to stop playing (unless the landlord steps in) - if a single drunk shouts 'More!' after four encores, he wants to carry on...usually said drunk wanders off during the song anyway and you're left playing to an increasingly tired crowd, who are worrying about Last Orders and getting a taxi ordered...  It happened a couple of weeks ago, after the fifth encore I put my bass down and went to the bog...that usually does it...

This is the problem I have with the festival band (the one that played 4 hours - see above). The BL is a Bruce Springsteen fan and gets a little carried away once the audience gets going. When I joined he was horrified by the suggestion of a break between sets as they used to play 3 hours or so straight through. But a lot of the band thanked me for insisting on it.

• Like 1

BLOCKBUSTARZ 70's Glam covers band at Lilliardsedge Holiday Park near Jedburgh.

First time playing in a fairly large marquee. When it was empty at sound check the sound was just getting lost but once people in it sounded pretty good but we'll be better prepared for any future gigs there or similar and bring our own digital desk.

Originally thought this was an easy one with PA and lighting supplied.

When we arrived and setting up i asked where the on stage monitors were and was told "we don't have any"

Nice decent PA to be fair. Next we asked where the mic leads etc were kept so we could get our gear up and running and was told "we don't have anything like that". Was then told acts / bands normally bring their own desk and run 2 feeds to their desk / PA. 

BL checked back the history of messages and showed them they had confirmed that full PA was supplied. Luckily the singer was doing a solo show following day and loaded his small 4 channel desk in his car to save time tomorrow. We ran 3 mics and his acoustic guitar into it and then into main PA. Drums, guitars and bass were on their own. Good job i brought both my Mesa cabs.

2 x 45min sets but we were told by the organiser we could basically do whatever we wanted and finish when we feel like it. 

We stuck to 1st set as it was and added 2 songs into 2nd set. 

Used my Sandberg VM4 as always into Shure GLXD wirelss and into Ampeg SVT7 Pro and Mesa SW210/115 cabs.

That Ampeg just seems to get better every gig i use it plus its loud. Have to say i'm now getting that valve sound with a bit more clarity that was in my head as the adverts states.

All in all it was a good gig and enjoyed it. Girl came over from Ireland specifically to see us and was staying at the park. Classic car group specifically booked this weekend so they could see us. Luckily we recognised some bikers from other rallies we've played over the years so it was a good night.

Main road back to Edinburgh A68 closed and had to find backroads to get around it ended up in Melrose which was lucky and way home was clear. Couldn't use this route on way down because of all the blooming road closures for the UCI bike events in the borders areas. Pain in the a**e.

No pics or vids as yet but if any appear i'll post.

Dave

image.thumb.png.a5832e429e1c401108c8bd39d9d737c4.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 19

We played the Belle Vue in High Wycombe last night.  Not a bad little pub, I was able to park the van 3 metres from the door, which made the load in/out a lot easier.  The small crowd were up for it and we had a few dancers, which helps.  We tried a few new songs and most went down well so all in all, it was a good night.

Next week we are back at the Load of Hay in Watford

Here's a pic of the stage area, I took my lime green Charvel, GK Legacy 800 and Super Compact.

IMG_0830.jpeg

• Like 13

Apparently, we were up against a local festival last night but we played one of our strongest ever sets last night to a small but enthusiastic audience. My mini Boss pedal board is blowing my mind with how good it sounds. Sunglasses onstage with black strings in a dingy stage area - yes, I went there! 

9e839be6-5018-46d6-a89d-b1d06d93001f.thumb.JPG.30b1ed1cb34f52e86e3897fbc856535f.JPG

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

A gig with my regular 8-piece band (Bodacious) last night at Whiskey Blue, a bar in Southampton. It’s a cracking band, but not many venues can find enough surplus readies to afford an 8 piece, and everyone in the band has other projects on the go, so a gig with this line up is always a treat.

Anyway, first time here, and a tiny stage for an 8 piece, but we managed it after the baby grand piano had been trundled out of the way.

Place was pretty busy from the start, but as the venue was completely open to the street at the front, and we were also pretty loud, the place attracted a lot of customers who must have heard the music from far and wide and had relocated from other bars in the vicinity to see what was going on, so by the end of the night the place was absolutely packed solid.

This pic was taken as we were about to start the second set. I know it looks like a 6 piece band, but there’s a drummer and a keyboard player lurking behind there also.

image.thumb.png.07f0e479357d2bdafb4e29ab37270c91.png

• Like 18

Dep with no rehearsal, just a setlist to learn. Had played about a third and knew the rest from the radio.

Picked up a few more transcriptions from @tomread (I owe you another pint), but though I’ve never played Chelsea Dagger or I Predict A Riot and others of that ilk they’re pretty straightforward so with a couple of first chord hints / kick starts to remind me I got through pretty much unscathed and all seemed ok. 

I did manage to totally screw the start to Sweet Child ‘o Mine, but in my defence it was the end of the night on a dark stage and I could barely see the fretboard or where I was on it 🤦‍♂️

Band all use IEM’s so I took an aux feed on an XLR into the P2 and on to my new Mercury Custom plugs and did my monitor mix which went ok. I’m getting used to the IEM process and liking it 🙂

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

A gig with my regular 8-piece band (Bodacious) last night at Whiskey Blue, a bar in Southampton. It’s a cracking band, but not many venues can find enough surplus readies to afford an 8 piece, and everyone in the band has other projects on the go, so a gig with this line up is always a treat.

Anyway, first time here, and a tiny stage for an 8 piece, but we managed it after the baby grand piano had been trundled out of the way.

Place was pretty busy from the start, but as the venue was completely open to the street at the front, and we were also pretty loud, the place attracted a lot of customers who must have heard the music from far and wide and had relocated from other bars in the vicinity to see what was going on, so by the end of the night the place was absolutely packed solid.

This pic was taken as we were about to start the second set. I know it looks like a 6 piece band, but there’s a drummer and a keyboard player lurking behind there also.

image.thumb.png.07f0e479357d2bdafb4e29ab37270c91.png

Couldnt resist a sneaky look on FB. Very good...takes me back, and those harmonies....lovely.

Edited by greavesbass
  • Like 1

Last night we were back at the coach house in Paignton. Last time out 1 of our powered PA speakers packed up and we used the old house old Vox PA one side. We used the same this time as we haven't sorted out a fix or replacement for our amp module. All was well until 2/3rds through the first set when there was a burning smell followed by smoke coming out of the Vox head! It was turned off and I swiftly placed our drummers monitor on top of the speakers and that got us through and sounded ok. I had to replace my monitor so our drummer could hear it too and turned it up a bit.

Edited by mep
  • Like 8
  • Sad 4

Nice wedding gig in Chichester this evening, furthest we’ve been off our usual patch in the three counties. Two deps in, keys and drums, but they really nailed it. Good crowd as well, took a little while to get them warmed up but they went for it in the second set- the only issue was a punter dropping a fart of chemical warfare proportions causing our singers to completely corpse during Angels until they could breathe safely again.

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3768.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

Been waiting a long time to post on this thread!

Last night we made our debut at Rock Against Leukaemia at The Steamboat Tavern, Ipswich. 
We played a 50 minute set, with a bit of everything from Oasis and Stereophonics to Metallica and RATM. The crowd seemed to enjoy it, with a far better reaction than I ever got in an originals band. 
We weren’t perfect, far from it, and the pre-gig nerves were immense, and near debilitating - I screwed up the opening track which didn’t help matters! But from then on it went well enough and we had a blast. I ended up standing on a table during Killing in the Name, fist bumps all round and the venue would like us back as a stand-alone. 

Couldn’t have gone better! We’re made up! 

b5631fd6-c030-4591-adde-627498539811.jpeg

• Like 19

Fairly quiet one in a small pub in Linthwaite on the outskirts of Huddersfield. Numbers were a bit down, likely due to holidays and such so it was harder work than usual. We were having speaker issues all night until one gave up the ghost on the final number, pretty packed gig list at the minute so it’ll need sorting quickly.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

Fairly quiet one in a small pub in Linthwaite on the outskirts of Huddersfield. Numbers were a bit down, likely due to holidays and such so it was harder work than usual. We were having speaker issues all night until one gave up the ghost on the final number, pretty packed gig list at the minute so it’ll need sorting quickly.

Matamp ?

😎

• Like 2