Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

18 hours ago, knirirr said:

Last night's gig was at Charlbury Cricket Club. It went nicely, though I had some trouble remembering which tune was which (I blame concussion from the previous gig).

Do allot of you guys play Cricket ?

Blue

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, msb said:

I’ve dropped gigs or venues because the fun was no longer there. 
I don’t depend on the money for expenses or bills , in fact I usually put it in a sock for future musical emergencies. And the sock at the moment is fairly flush. 
Music can become a complete misery if the joy is not there.

I hope that never happens to me. Playing in my band and gigging is all I have.

Blue

34 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I hope that never happens to me. Playing in my band and gigging is all I have.

Blue

I still manage to play every weekend , and have an interesting new project on the go , so all is good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Personally, not since school, but the cricket club appears to be a popular social venue in the town. They have bands playing on Friday evenings during the summer, with a covered outdoor stage set up for that purpose.
There are even Hook Norton beers at the bar.

We've (Fine Lines) just played at this iconic venue, supporting The Long Ryders. We played an absolute blinder! The on stage monitoring and in-ear mixes weren't massively great, but we could hear enough through FOH to get by. 

Even though the audience weren't there to see us, they were very appreciative and I think we sold a bit of merch and picked up a few followers.

It was one of those nights that makes me appreciate being in a band.

20230521_181041.jpg

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

We've (Fine Lines) just played at this iconic venue, supporting The Long Ryders. We played an absolute blinder! The on stage monitoring and in-ear mixes weren't massively great, but we could hear enough through FOH to get by. 

Even though the audience weren't there to see us, they were very appreciative and I think we sold a bit of merch and picked up a few followers.

It was one of those nights that makes me appreciate being in a band.

20230521_181041.jpg

Nice one - a great venue too.

• Like 1

Second 4 Play (🥴) gig with our new singer Dave. He’s great - excellent range, timing and feel. Good frontman too, and a lovely bloke. Excellent.

Black Bull, Kirton near Boston. Good crowd, and only a 20 min drive. My wife came to see me play for like only the third time!

The Dimension > GK > Barefaced continues to deliver in spades. I’m totally GAS free with this setup.

image.thumb.png.246401e171e4b9551ca80ba48c038281.png

• Like 12

1 minute ago, moley6knipe said:

Ah! Which band was that? Decent enough place. Timmy Taylor Landlord on tap which is a thumbs up from me. Food looked great too!

Band was called Baklash. I don’t play with them anymore, but think they are still going.

We used to play in the Black Bull quite a bit. There was a nice chip shop in Kirton called the Codfather!!!

• Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 14:39, Bluewine said:

Home Grown Blues Festival

Tomorrow Sunday 5/21
3:00 @ Foundry 45
Kewaskum WI

Maple Road

Should be a fun gig,10 bands 2 stages and fantastic  weather Sound and lighting provided.

Blue

FB_IMG_1684543314725.jpg

FB_IMG_1683532035090.jpg

They picked me up at noon. We had a 40 minute  slot at this 10 band 2 stage blues festival. $35.00 to get in.

It was a nice festival  and playing 40 minutes  is cool. We all walked away with $150.00. I could get spoiled  by this. $150.00 each for 40 minutes.  That's  " big time" pay in my neck of the woods.

Next weekend another festival, Burlington  Jamboree. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1684715681061.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 14

17 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

Not since school, but more or less every town has a cricket green/ground and a clubhouse...coincidentally we played for a friend's wedding at a local cricket club Satdy evening, and when we arrived the car park was rammed full because the match was still going...it calmed down later, and there was room for all the guests once the cricket crowd had dispersed...

• Like 1

I played the Tower of Song in Kings Norton, Birmingham yesterday.  Bit of an odd one; it was a Sunday matinee - three bands, doors at 3.00pm all done by 7.00pm.  Early start, terrible traffic snarl up near Oxford (biggish detour)

Venue is quite lovely to be honest.  Clean, tidy, small bar, fantastic PA (all iPad/tablet driven) - two each side of HK Audio Polar 12s.  First band were Year Zero - four piece punky band, the meat in the sandwich was The DC Spectres (the 'DC' being club owner David Checkley) - they reminded me of early Soul Asylum, then us (Eddie Roxy & The Adjacent Kings) headlining.

We're only a handful of gigs in and I reckon this was the best one yet.  No major f*ck ups (although inexplicably our drummer stopped playing during the first song...probably lost where he was) and pretty much everyone we spoke to after was very positive.

So onwards.  We're playing the Alice's Wicked Tea Party festival on 3rd June.  Two weeks off.

• Like 9

We were invited back to play for the Hackney half marathon runners for a second year, which also included an afternoon slot on the mainstage this time around. A huge amount of fun: 20k+ runners this year, made doubly special for me as my daughter was one of them 😊

• Like 16

On 21/05/2023 at 15:58, Bluewine said:

Blue

Nope, I would rather stick pins in my eyes....

How can a sport require you to drink beer and eat sandwiches at half time whilst wearing a jumper? Now, dwarf bowling, that's a totally different ball game 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the plus side for cricket, I've never been to a game and not spent the whole afternoon getting casually drunk in the sunshine*; the match itself just kinda goes on in the background as a mere incidental to the rest of the proceedings...we played a posh corporate gig at Old Trafford (huuuuge ground in Manchester) for some official awards ceremony, and were introduced to the whole England team; didn't know who any of them were, just smiled and waved...the food was particularly nice, though...

* No idea what happens if it rains: I presume everyone goes into the clubhouse and carries on drinking...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our second night supporting The Long Ryders, this time at the Cavern Club (it's a small venue in Liverpool, you've probably not heard of it...)

Really happy with the way we've played over the last 2 shows, everything just seemed to click into place and we did a good job.

I had a slight pedalboard panic, where a high pitched noise appeared which at first I put down to the new wireless unit. Checking though the signal chain, it turned out the problem lay with the compressor where the output volume had been knocked and was maxed out. I think I'll be marking the settings from now on!

20230523_175344.jpg

20230523_200823.jpg

IMG-20230523-WA0017.jpg

• Like 13