Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats a little irritating, been there, seen that, didn't get the tshirt.

Was that 5 minutes away from a 5 minute away venue or 5 minutes away from an hour away venue?

I did have that '20 minutes loading the car, shut the boot, phone rang' cancellations once which was a bit irritating.

All the way into centre of Bristol I'm the rush hour

Just got in from a gig with the punk covers band that I play guitar for. Was good tho sparsely populated, but those in the pub enjoyed it.

Had the inevitable continual request for something we don’t do, Arctic Monkeys this time, which then changed to Irish music. Ah yes we can help there, and proceeded to play Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers. Said requester not happy, you just can’t please some people!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just got in from a gig with the punk covers band that I play guitar for. Was good tho sparsely populated, but those in the pub enjoyed it.

Had the inevitable continual request for something we don’t do, Arctic Monkeys this time, which then changed to Irish music. Ah yes we can help there, and proceeded to play Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers. Said requester not happy, you just can’t please some people!

Love playing SLF songs with the punk band. Some great basslines.

We currently do At The Edge and Alternative Ulster and looking to add Gotta Getaway and Nobody's Hero. 

All songs i'd never heard before joining the punk covers band. I was never into punk back in its hey day but recognise most of the songs we do. Amazing how good some of the songs are and how much i really enjoy playing them. Some of those basslines thrown together one after the other can be quite a challenge for a fingerstyle player like myself but all good fun.

Dave

• Like 2

A nice local gig in Rotherham last night, which was a pleasure after last week’s 3am bedtime. It was definitely compact and bijou but everyone was friendly and enjoying the show. The club was full before we’d got set up which compromised the sound check but we managed. One number we hadn’t done for a couple of years (far far away) was a challenge as me and the guitarist thought we’d agreed on a key with the singer and erm...y’know. Fortunately we cured it quickly on the fly and no one was any the wiser. Off to the seaside next week - Withernsea, oh we do like to be beside the seaside.187B4023-8F43-4616-8296-091278B1310C.thumb.jpeg.27e687d8cc8eef610c9132a43cdc177e.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 8

Fscking bovine excrement.  Went to a place we played back in July last year to precisely zero folk.  Audience increased by 200%, to 2.  Early bath at 11pm.  Still got paid, but what's the point in travelling 2 hours each way for this?  I feel like I'm stealing from them to be honest, and if this is what their Saturday nights are like they probably need the money more than I do.  Place was freezing, was playing with my jumper on during the truncated second half.  We're supposed to be going back in October, but I think the place is a wash and have made it clear to the rest of the band that I think we should cancel now and give them plenty of notice.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

Its not easy motivating yourself to play when the audience just isn't there. You can look at it as a paid rehearsal which is what we do.

Its a difficult one tho if it has a 2hr drive each way. 

Where was the venue ?

Dave

38 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its not easy motivating yourself to play when the audience just isn't there. You can look at it as a paid rehearsal which is what we do.

Its a difficult one tho if it has a 2hr drive each way. 

Where was the venue ?

Dave

Buckie, NE Scotland.  A wee place in the grand scheme of things, and yet the venue in question somehow manages to be near absolutely nothing.  We stood outside at 11.30pm and you could hear nothing except for the faint sound of sporadic cars on the A98 in the distance.  Eerie.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Buckie, NE Scotland.  A wee place in the grand scheme of things, and yet the venue in question somehow manages to be near absolutely nothing.  We stood outside at 11.30pm and you could hear nothing except for the faint sound of sporadic cars on the A98 in the distance.  Eerie.

I've driven past it on main road from Inverness to Fraserburgh to see the lighthouse on holiday at time. I really need to visit some of those smaller villages / Towns along that coast.

Dave 

• Like 1

Sub-optimal, but ended up OK. The gig started OK, but midway through our cover of Regret I noticed a nasty smell and suddenly couldn't hear myself any more. Turns out the ABM had gone poof during the worst possible song. Fortunately the pub has a reasonably clued-up sound guy which meant I could DI from my Behringer BDI21 so we were able to complete the gig, but because of the position of the PA speakers I could barely hear myself. I'm told I did OK though, so yay for muscle memory.

Now begins the serious quest for a new amp though.

PXL_20230401_190243918.jpg

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Sub-optimal, but ended up OK. The gig started OK, but midway through our cover of Regret I noticed a nasty smell and suddenly couldn't hear myself any more. Turns out the ABM had gone poof during the worst possible song. Fortunately the pub has a reasonably clued-up sound guy which meant I could DI from my Behringer BDDI so we were able to complete the gig, but because of the position of the PA speakers I could barely hear myself. I'm told I did OK though, so yay for muscle memory.

Now begins the serious quest for a new amp though.

PXL_20230401_190243918.jpg

Cracking wee Tech 21 VT bass amp for sale on BC at £325 that looks nice. Think it just appeared this morning.

What's the bass you are using ? A Sire maybe ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Just played 2 nights with tribute band Dire Streets, at Tavistock Wharf and Tetbury Goods Shed. I was already booked to play a bass gig with them in May and a couple on rhythm guitar in August/September. Their regular bass player had a family emergency and fortunately I had already transcribed all the bass parts and had them in ForScore on my iPad. I wouldn’t normally take dots out on a gig like that but this was at 36 hours’ notice! It was also my first time going amp-less, but more on that in another thread.

The band were pleased with my work and so was I, in the sense that all the preparation paid off. Both nights were packed and the appreciation coming back from audience was phenomenal.

Now looking forward to my other gigs with the band, where I will get a rehearsal!

• Like 10

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Fscking bovine excrement.  Went to a place we played back in July last year to precisely zero folk.  Audience increased by 200%, to 2.  Early bath at 11pm.  Still got paid, but what's the point in travelling 2 hours each way for this?  I feel like I'm stealing from them to be honest, and if this is what their Saturday nights are like they probably need the money more than I do.  Place was freezing, was playing with my jumper on during the truncated second half.  We're supposed to be going back in October, but I think the place is a wash and have made it clear to the rest of the band that I think we should cancel now and give them plenty of notice.

From what you’re saying I would think it highly unlikely the gig will be even there by October.

How can places like that carry on being in business?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

I agree, this place sounds like bad news. 

Blue

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

What do you think of the Sire ? 

They seem to get great reviews plus a mate has one now and he loves it.

Dave

I also love it. It's very easy to play, and running in passive it sounds amazing. Haven't had much need to play with the preamp but it seems decent.

• Thanks 1