Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 minutes ago, Combed20 said:

First gig of the year last night at The Fighting pink torpedos in Kingston. Used my Orange LBT head and venues GK cab. Lots of compliment over my tone, which was much appreciated. I've been thinking about swapping out my sansamp VT Bass DI for an Orange Bass Butler, but all the compliments are now making think maybe I should just save my money and stick with what I have...

There may be people reading who are led to believe the pub really is called The Fighting Pink Torpedoes 😂

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

There may be people reading who are led to believe the pub really is called The Fighting Pink Torpedoes 😂

🤣🤣

There used to be a band locally to me called The Pink Torpedos, and I once played in a band called The Willy Stroker Band.

• Haha 1

Well, a first for me - playing with my acoustic duo at a baby shower!

Must admit I had to ask someone exactly what one was. Turns out it’s just a get together

of the mum-to-be and her friends and family. Gig was at a local Italian restaurant earlier 

today, and they asked for some quiet-ish background stuff during and after the buffet.

The father-to-be was a lovely bloke (who we later found out is a well known footballer)

and had invited some of his mates along too. We played a mix of recent tunes as well

as some older stuff which I was surprised they knew / requested. 

We were well looked after, and nice comments from many of the guests. Gave out a few

business cards as well so hopefully may lead to some more stuff. Home by 6pm so

a nice change for me. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, lidl e said:

i have a show tonight and we don't go on for another frickin' four hours...

luckily the venue is a ten minute walk from my house.

Waiting for the next post in six hours time, when you wake up in your armchair, having missed it all.  xjmd97M.gif

:lol: :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 07/01/2023 at 13:04, Bluewine said:

I'm working on adding my own harmony to a few songs. I struggle with singing and playing bass at the same time.

Join the club. The only way I can do it is with 'stupid' amounts of repetitive practice. Then when it's action time it sounds like someone else is playing the bass while I am doing the harmony. It's the very defintion of an out of body experience, well worth the effort. Yet I can't call myself a singing bassist as I can hardly even talk over bassing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Join the club. The only way I can do it is with 'stupid' amounts of repetitive practice. Then when it's action time it sounds like someone else is playing the bass while I am doing the harmony. It's the very defintion of an out of body experience, well worth the effort. Yet I can't call myself a singing bassist as I can hardly even talk over bassing!

Amazing!  The only sound I can emit when playing is the occasional very gentle grunt! 🤣

S'manth x

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Unless it's simple root notes on the beat, I can't sing and play bass. The exception (for some reason) is 'Lets Work Together', where I'm harmonising the chorus with the singer. The bass line is repetitive enough and the lyrics simple enough that I'm not overloading the brain but I agree, it feels like someone else is playing the bass. And if I make the mistake of listening to the bass, everything goes free-form improv. 😂

Our singist/geetard plaus and sings This Charming Man, and I've no idea how*...

* Actually, he has told me; it's the 'Do it till you don't have to think about it' method mentioned above...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

Had a random gig between Christmas and new year that was packed and would’ve been fun had I not been so rotten ill, I even sat down for a few songs. This Saturday I was feeling much better and was back to business as usual. Standard pub rock covers, great fun was had, great crowd up dancing from song one, the sound in my IEMs was fab. All good as far as I’m concerned :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

To my surprise I can sing Merry Xmas Everybody and play it!

Jim Lea tends to play quite rhythmically and i can see why it might be easier to sing while playing especially if you play with a pick.

Love playing his basslines even tho i play fingerstyle.

Dave 

• Like 1

Great song. Great bass line. Might be a Yam in the vid but £20 says that’s his Rick on bridge pick-up on the recording.

But yeah - it’s an excellent example of top tier simultaneous singing and bass playing from a master.

That’s the killer problem for me… when the line and the vocal are radically different rhythms I’m knackered. Like Addicted to Love which I’d love to get in our set. Can sing the derrière off it. Can play it nicely. Can’t do both together!

Edited by moley6knipe

25 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

He certainly is good, irrespective of whether people like The Beatles there’s no doubting Maccas abilities.

Dunno, Quincy Jones once called McCartney “the worst bass player I ever heard” and described the Beatles as “no-playing motherf—-rs”...! 

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree and QJ did backtrack a little when they inevitably came for him with torches and pitchforks, but I think it's safe to say Quincy has at least some doubts about Macca's abilities... 

Edited by peteb

42 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

He certainly is good, irrespective of whether people like The Beatles there’s no doubting Maccas abilities.

To be honest i've never really been a big Beatles fan but i watched the movie "Yesterday" when it came out and it got me listening to all those classic songs they did. Watched it again the other night and i'm now looking for a best off CD.

They had some amount of hits in their relatively short time together.

Dave

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

To be honest i've never really been a big Beatles fan but i watched the movie "Yesterday" when it came out and it got me listening to all those classic songs they did. Watched it again the other night and i'm now looking for a best off CD.

They had some amount of hits in their relatively short time together.

Dave

I think that people can be overly referential about the Fab 4 (except Quincy). They weren't the greatest musicians of the pop era at all and when they did things that didn't really work, fanboys fall over themselves to try and justify even the not so good stuff as proof of their genius! However, they are certainly the most important pop group of all time and left a catalogue of many terrific songs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Dunno, Quincy Jones once called McCartney “the worst bass player I ever heard” and described the Beatles as “no-playing motherf—-rs”...! 

In fairness to Quincy Jones, he's never heard me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, peteb said:

I think that people can be overly referential about the Fab 4 (except Quincy). They weren't the greatest musicians of the pop era at all and when they did things that didn't really work, fanboys fall over themselves to try and justify even the not so good stuff as proof of their genius! However, they are certainly the most important a pop group of all time and left a catalogue of many terrific songs. 

There, fixed. :)