Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played with the covers band yesterday, an after dinner gig for Marie Curie fundraisers. We set up in the morning and the BL of a very successful local band popped inn recognised the guys and lent us a small lighting rig.

After pa sound issues at last gig, we just used it for vox (four of us have mikes) and bass drum (tiny gretch kick) I just set all the eq flat for a morning soundcheck, all we did was tweak up one guitar and the keyboard and sound was ace. Knew my sound would be ace with squier anniversary p into bass terror ans gr bass cab 😎 just had a tiny bit of treble boost. What on earth are all those tone knobs for 🤣

Unshamed dancy crowd pleasing setlist. One guitarist plagued by tuning issues and other things went off piste but no total disasters and the audience were dancing from our first song and had a riot of a time. Venue want us to do gigs, one audience member said she wants us to do her wedding.

• Like 11

Done 3 gigs this week. Sunday was my favourite venue for our acoustic duo at The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough.

Usual brilliant audience, with some great requests which we managed to fulfill.

Forgot to take pics but this was the view as I was loading out.

IMG_2440.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 10

Gig in Marsden, nearly ‘moors country’ last night. Didn’t look too promising at first with only 8 punters in at 8:30 so we delayed going on until 9:30. Placed filled up to capacity before we went on and two great spots were had and enjoyed. Did the first Christmas song of the season, the full Christmas show starts in earnest next week at one of our favourite little pubs in Huddersfield.

• Like 7

The other two gigs this week were a Golden Wedding do at a local pub. Only about 30 guests, managed to get some up dancing to 50's / 60's stuff though, and home by 11.30pm so not too bad.

Last night was the final gig of the year with The ELO Experience at The Corn Exchange in Stamford. Sell out crowd of 400 people, a lovely venue but a basta*d of a get in -

everything into a tiny lift, then up to the top floor where it's then rolled down the

steep centre aisle of the theatre and up onto the stage.

Band played well, and our new sound engineer (and bassist!) Paul is fitting in well,

with drums and bass sounding great in the room.

( Enclose a picture which shows my lovely bald spot which is increasing at a 

frightening rate - may soon be time for a new look I think.)

Stamford 2022.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 8

We had a gig in Portsmouth last night, bit of a schlep in pouring rain, but thankfully the rain had stopped in time for load in, we played a working men’s club and during soundcheck their was a table of oldies sat with fingers in ears complaining that we were too loud.  

By the second song the oldies that were complaining were in full flow, singing and dancing and it carried on that way all night😁

i was using my Trace Elliot RAH600 back up amp as my DB750 started banging and popping during rehearsal last Tuesday, heard something rattling in the case so thought I’d take the lid off and found a loose capacitor!?  Guess I need to find an amp shop around Wiltshire or Bristol….☹️

2A1A1C17-2ACC-41E9-B711-00F06C15801F.jpeg

9B39B967-9CED-4071-9E40-FEF1E002C7DB.jpeg

9B54230B-7562-4D9C-A1B1-B1A5266359ED.jpeg

5B18FB58-963B-4504-A3D6-6D315FAAA550.jpeg

06FDB94F-560F-4ACE-8432-5A8CCEB285BD.jpeg

6FCDA831-3235-4567-ABF0-AAD9DD8D1C2E.jpeg

DC2626B3-5026-4432-9C17-4B6E5B105CCB.jpeg

• Like 7

The gig where:

Access is easy.

The drummer has turned up early and is almost set up as you arrive.

It’s IEMs all round.

Audience dance all night 

Fee is decent

Drinks tab included.

You're not driving.

No queue for kebabs.

Does it get any better! 😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I guess they no longer make them ? 
Sadly many of the BF cabs are not wide enough for the CTM100/ CTM300 

They were one of the original cabs, discontinued in around 2014 I think, occasionally come up on here. Similar in size to the old Trace Elliot 1153 but much lighter and sounded much better too :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I guess they no longer make them ? 
Sadly many of the BF cabs are not wide enough for the CTM100/ CTM300 

They're called the Compact. They have changed them since mine were designed but definitely still make them. Perfect width if stacked on their sides 

Last night was my first gig since just before Covid (I've played loads in church during that time).  I was depping in an originals and covers band (Hurly Burly).  We did about 15 songs - 3 or 4 originals and the rest covers (Rolling Stones, Housemartins, Beatles, The Clash type people pleasers).  It wasn't a big crowd, but they were in party mood, so there was plenty of dancing and singing going on.  I really enjoyed it. We even got fed😀.

I can hopefully get hold of some decent footage of it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Simon C said:

Last night was my first gig since just before Covid (I've played loads in church during that time).  I was depping in an originals and covers band (Hurly Burly).  We did about 15 songs - 3 or 4 originals and the rest covers (Rolling Stones, Housemartins, Beatles, The Clash type people pleasers).  It wasn't a big crowd, but they were in party mood, so there was plenty of dancing and singing going on.  I really enjoyed it. We even got fed😀.

I can hopefully get hold of some decent footage of it.

Sounds like a nice gig.👍

Blue

• Like 1

Last night's gig was my first for two months! Played with Oxford Grateful Dead band 'Franklin's Tower' at the Tree Hotel in Oxford. We were supposed to be the final band of the three booked, but the duo before us had to pull out due to illness, so we went on a bit earlier than originally planned, and were asked to play on beyond our expected end time. This meant that the songs we had cut from the set list at last week's rehearsal were reinstated, much to the confusion of the two percussionists who managed to miss that information. 

All went well, lots of people up and dancing, some singing along.

I played the 60s Classic Jazz bass that I bought new nearly ten years ago, and used my Orange LBT and Barefaced Super Compact. No problems other than I had forgetfully left my gear in the car when I arrived and by the time we went on the bass was way out of tune and refusing to hold pitch for the first song or two. Sorted out before the second number though.

• Like 7

Must be nice to have space to have monitors in front of you to demark the stage a bit @Bluewine (sounding great btw!).  Second gig of the weekend was at Cheers in Fraserburgh on Sat night.  First half went pretty well, but the singer was beleagured with ladies cavorting in front of him (drunk, so thinking that they're being sexy when really, it's all a bit ridiculous), wanting to grab the mic and sing, getting pouty when that doesn't work etc.  Just got rid of one pest because thankfully she didn't like the song we were playing, only for her to be replaced by another pest the next song!  Ladies bouncing around in front of you when you're trying to do a job, some people might say it's a nice problem to have but it's really just an annoyance of the highest order - we're all spoken for men at the end of the day.

Some other lady tried to start a conversation with me while I'm playing.  I just act dumb - I cannot multitask worth a damn.  She complained later that we were too loud/heavy.  D'oh, we're a rock band - awa' hame and listen to some Ed Sheeran if it bothers you that much!

Oh, the joys of performing at floor level.  Towards the end of the second set the bar emptied quite noticeably, but a table of three attentive and appreciative ladies stayed until the end so that made up for it.  During Highway to Hell, I went and sat down with them at their table - I've got naff all to do for half the song anyway.  It's a bit I sometimes do - pretend to sleep, grab a chair and sit down, that sort of thing, usually gets a chuckle.  I usually get back in position when I need to play but Saturday night I just stayed at the table and played my bits there, only standing up for the end of the song.

All in all, an OK night, Friday was better though.  New venue for us this coming Saturday - the Black Abbot in ... Montrose!  Maybe we should play Smoke on the Water and modify the lyrics to "We all came out to Montrose / On the North Sea coastline..." but that's probably too cheesy.  I suggested learning "I Got the Fire" by Montrose (the band) but we figured folk might not get the reference...

Oh, and seeing as it'll be December, I guess it's time to dust off the Christmas songs again...

image.thumb.png.5792117c0922a2097942c6e25bb6da02.png

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 11

31 minutes ago, neepheid said:

First half went pretty well, but the singer was beleagured with ladies cavorting in front of him (drunk, so thinking that they're being sexy when really, it's all a bit ridiculous), wanting to grab the mic and sing, getting pouty when that doesn't work etc.  Just got rid of one pest because thankfully she didn't like the song we were playing, only for her to be replaced by another pest the next song!  Ladies bouncing around in front of you when you're trying to do a job, some people might say it's a nice problem to have but it's really just an annoyance of the highest order - we're all spoken for men at the end of the day.

That is not a problem normally in our group as the singer is just very good at handling those people and doesn't get at all annoyed about it. I couldn't handle it at all, irritates the hell out of me, but he kind of revels in it and is really good with the crowd. Never understood it myself, but quite grateful that he mostly acts as a shield.

Some other lady tried to start a conversation with me while I'm playing.  I just act dumb - I cannot multitask worth a damn.  She complained later that we were too loud/heavy.  D'oh, we're a rock band - awa' hame and listen to some Ed Sheeran if it bothers you that much!

I get people trying tto hold a conversation with me while I am playing - I have IEMs in, I can't hear you anyway. One woman once I pointed to my headphones as a 'I can't hear you' - she pulled them out of my ears to tell me she didn't start some fight somewhere and it was some other woman, like I cared about that - didn't go down well.

Its either that or the drunk guys whos only idea of dancing is to hold their full pints up in the air while hovering around dangerously near your pedalboard.

The last gig I was at, there was a tall guy, quite drunk who was just standing in front of me and pointed at me when I was playing something he presumably liked.

During Highway to Hell, I went and sat down with them at their table - I've got naff all to do for half the song anyway.  It's a bit I sometimes do - pretend to sleep, grab a chair and sit down, that sort of thing, usually gets a chuckle.

Highway to hell is great, like all right now, plenty of options for finally getting a bit of your drink, check the bass is in tune, video a bit of a the band or crowd etc

• Like 5

Saturday's gig was cancelled. Something about our singer having a "sore throat" or some other nonsense. Ah well, better to have a break than look like a bunch of numpties, as our backup singer was also struggling, and my singing voice is probably accurately described as "untested" and "only fit for singing in the car". I did suggest an instrumental set but that didn't go down well...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Last night's gig was my first for two months! Played with Oxford Grateful Dead band 'Franklin's Tower' at the Tree Hotel in Oxford. We were supposed to be the final band of the three booked, but the duo before us had to pull out due to illness, so we went on a bit earlier than originally planned, and were asked to play on beyond our expected end time. This meant that the songs we had cut from the set list at last week's rehearsal were reinstated, much to the confusion of the two percussionists who managed to miss that information. 

All went well, lots of people up and dancing, some singing along.

I played the 60s Classic Jazz bass that I bought new nearly ten years ago, and used my Orange LBT and Barefaced Super Compact. No problems other than I had forgetfully left my gear in the car when I arrived and by the time we went on the bass was way out of tune and refusing to hold pitch for the first song or two. Sorted out before the second number though.

Nice!

Did you guys play Althea?

Daryl

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Must be nice to have space to have monitors in front of you to demark the stage a bit @Bluewine (sounding great btw!).  Second gig of the weekend was at Cheers in Fraserburgh on Sat night.  First half went pretty well, but the singer was beleagured with ladies cavorting in front of him (drunk, so thinking that they're being sexy when really, it's all a bit ridiculous), wanting to grab the mic and sing, getting pouty when that doesn't work etc.  Just got rid of one pest because thankfully she didn't like the song we were playing, only for her to be replaced by another pest the next song!  Ladies bouncing around in front of you when you're trying to do a job, some people might say it's a nice problem to have but it's really just an annoyance of the highest order - we're all spoken for men at the end of the day.

Oh, the joys of performing at floor level.  Towards the end of the second set the bar emptied quite noticeably, but a table of three attentive and appreciative ladies stayed until the end so that made up for it.  During Highway to Hell, I went and sat down with them at their table - I've got naff all to do for half the song anyway.  It's a bit I sometimes do - pretend to sleep, grab a chair and sit down, that sort of thing, usually gets a chuckle.  I usually get back in position when I need to play but Saturday night I just stayed at the table and played my bits there, only standing up for the end of the song.

All in all, an OK night, Friday was better though.  New venue for us this coming Saturday - the Black Abbot in ... Montrose!  Maybe we should play Smoke on the Water and modify the lyrics to "We all came out to Montrose / On the North Sea coastline..." but that's probably too cheesy.  I suggested learning "I Got the Fire" by Montrose (the band) but we figured folk might not get the reference...

Oh, and seeing as it'll be December, I guess it's time to dust off the Christmas songs again...

image.thumb.png.5792117c0922a2097942c6e25bb6da02.png

Montrose!

Blue